Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GhostBusters 2016 **SPOILERS FROM POST 1751 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

This must be the most hated movie that people haven't seen, apart from a couple of trailers. Maybe the film will be bad, but to make those judgements without seeing the actual movie is crazy.

This reminds me of the mass hysteria that set in about Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. That was a perfectly fine movie that got decent critical and audience reviews, made loads of money, but the keyboard warrior nerds decided their childhoods had been 'raped' by Lucas.

Their lunacy got out of hand and delayed Indy V by nearly 10 years. Looks like Ghostbusters will go the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Wedwood wrote: »
    This must be the most hated movie that people haven't seen, apart from a couple of trailers. Maybe the film will be bad, but to make those judgements without seeing the actual movie is crazy.

This reminds me of the mass hysteria that set in about Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. That was a perfectly fine movie that got decent critical and audience reviews, made loads of money, but the keyboard warrior nerds decided their childhoods had been 'raped' by Lucas.

Their lunacy got out of hand and delayed Indy V by nearly 10 years. Looks like Ghostbusters will go the same way.

Yep, it was film studios ****ing around with the object of nerd's affections. Just like with this film.

Although it was a pretty **** film imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

First time an actual review pops up on this thread is going to make me double-take. 67 - sixty-seven! - pages of ... discussion. You lot better debate the eventual film for another 60 odd pages damnit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I think the irrational and reactionary responses to any film, Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Batman or whatever is a bit silly but to label it as sexist is equally stupid.
    People were crying when the only information about the film was that the cast would be women. I think it's pretty disingenuous to ignore that it's part of the backlash to it, hell you just have to look at some of the people (the YouTube users posted in this thread for instance) who have made their hatred of this film their agenda and why that might be.
    And if you get more upset by some saying "They raped my childhood" than you do by someone saying "I'd murder a sandwich" you really are only looking for something to be aggrieved by.
    It's not the use of the word rape that I specifically take issue with. It's the over-exaggerated whiny egotistical entitlement. It's this sad attitude of "I'm claiming ownership of this thing and it's a sacred cow and if anybody does anything with it I disagree with I'm going to lash out" that I dislike. Discussion and constructive criticism is great, in fact it should be encouraged, but all that's happening is white noise when nobody has anything constructive or insightful to say because A) They haven't even seen the film and/or B) They're not even that interested in it and are just using it as a bandwagon to rant.

Here's a crazy idea: No piece of storytelling is exempt from people telling their own version of it and adjusting it to a different audience.

This guy has the right idea though. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

e_e wrote: »

It's not the use of the word rape that I specifically take issue with. It's the over-exaggerated whiny egotistical entitlement. It's this sad attitude of "I'm claiming ownership of this thing and it's a sacred cow and if anybody does anything with it I disagree with I'm going to lash out" that I dislike. Discussion and constructive criticism is great, in fact it should be encouraged, but all that's happening is white noise when nobody has anything constructive or insightful to say because A) They haven't even seen the film and/or B) They're not even that interested in it and are just using it as a bandwagon to rant.

This is what is happening, and that's what happens with a lot of films/games people grew up with. The new Call of Duty trailer, for example, is approaching 3 million downvotes on Youtube.

And the handful of idiots making videos on youtube solely about the female cast are no different to the handful of idiots on the other side saying the only reason people are criticising the film is because they're misogynists. Except the latter include people who write for broadsheets like the Guardian and the director of the film.

When i first heard it was an all female cast with Feig directing my first thought was that it sounds a little gimmicky and could possibly end up like Bridesmaids with proton packs. Which is exactly what the trailers look like.

And the handful of idiots making videos on youtube solely about the female cast are no different to the handful of idiots on the other side saying the only reason people are criticising the film is because they're misogynists. Except the latter include people who write for broadsheets like the Guardian and the director of the film.
    "The ‘assholes’ of which I speak are the ones who live online, who write those hateful tweets and posts and comments," he clarifies. "I’m not talking about the people who have true concerns and worries about the rebooting of a franchise they love, nor am I talking about people who have watched the trailer for our movie and didn’t like it."

I genuinely think this "but they're saying we're all misogynists!" nonsense is by and large a straw-man.
    and could possibly end up like Bridesmaids with proton packs. Which is exactly what the trailers look like.
    Which'll still sounds better to me than whatever the hypothetical Rogen & Franco/Sandler version would be.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Wedwood wrote: »

sorry but Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a puddle of sh*t. I refuse to even entertain the idea that it isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

e_e wrote: »
    Which'll still sounds better to me than whatever the hypothetical Rogen & Franco/Sandler version would be.
    How dare you judge a hypothetical film with Rogen/Franco/Sandler without having seen it. How dare you. You don't even have a hypothetical trailer to judge their hypothetical film, to base your judgement upon. It's okay to make judgements on films with Rogen/Franco/Sandler that don't exist, but not actuals films with Melissa McCarthy, with actual trailers, that actually look like shit?
    Wedwood wrote:
    Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. That was a perfectly fine movie
    Wait a minute, let's not nuke the fridge here.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

after hearing the new theme song I'm convinced Sony are now just taking the complete piss with Ghostbusters as an entity seriously how did any of this get the go ahead??

I'm also getting sick of hearing Melissa McCarthy in any television interview she now gives saying anyone who dislikes the film is a 45 year old male shut in who lives in his mother's basement... Has it occoured to her that maybe people don't like it because she's about as funny as a trip to the dentist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm also getting sick of hearing Melissa McCarthy in any television interview she now gives saying anyone who dislikes the film is a 45 year old male shut in who lives in his mother's basement... Has it occoured to her that maybe people don't like it because she's about as funny as a trip to the dentist?

/\
    While the whinging about Ghostbusters by some because it has a female cast is lamentable, that attempt at a flip side argument is equally so.

:/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Ghostbusters shouldn't get some sort of special treatment from the "That trailer looks ****" comments that every remake gets. And the misogynist bull**** should get called out when it's obviously that, too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Grayditch wrote: »
    Ghostbusters shouldn't get some sort of special treatment from the "That trailer looks ****" comments that every remake gets. And the misogynist bull**** should get called out when it's obviously that, too.

In the years I've read and modded this forum, I think it's fair to say the response to this film is a far cry removed from the comments every remake gets :)

Ghostbusters 2016 has brewed up a perfect storm - a confluence of trends we see across the social spectrum. It's a heady mix of separate but intermingling things such as the liberal v reactionary culture war; the zealous nature of modern fandom; the internet in 2016 (oh, the internet in 2016!); the dominance of the Hollywood franchise model of filmmaking; the victory of nerdom; the commodification of nostalgia (related: audiences' rose-coloured spectacles); the declining (declined) quality of mainstream cultural discourse; the open nature of modern criticism and commentary; a smattering of good old fashioned misogyny; a sprinkling of outrage culture; the strange relationship between audiences and marketing... and so on and so on. This film - hell, these trailers - more than any of the others that may have hit some or most of those points, has just brought everything together and created an unholy cluster****. That the trailer was a whole load of 'meh' didn't help, of course ;)

All of that, and it's a ****ing silly studio comedy about busting ghosts :pac:

Ghostbusters is like the good delph of treasured films, though. The higher the stakes, the hotter the heat.

A few years ago when I still cared about studios remaking my favourite films, Robocop was my Ghostbusters, and that weak trailer set me off. Turns out I enjoyed the film for what it was and I realised I need to grow up a bit and stop caring. I think my newsfeeds on social media were almost as bad for Robocop to be honest. Not on here, granted.

I've seen people on here get overly defensive about a film that's not even out. I find that as unusual as the ones that are getting emotional about how much they hate the way this is panning out, even if the latter outnumber the former by a good deal.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying, "That looks crap, I'll give it a miss". Everything is a gamble these days.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

saw full trailer for this tonight in the cinema.

looks like sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

I don't mind turn your brain off movies. As I've stated in this thread, I LOVE the Resident Evil and Underworld movies and those are not high art (and have female leads, Alice kicks ass!). Hell, I live and breathe Friday The 13th movies and those would be bottom of the barrel entertainment for most.
    Ghostbusters, from the trailers and clips, just doesn't look fun at all. None of the jokes are funny. The only positive thing I will say about it, I saw the trailer before TMNT 2 3D and the 3D effects looked very good.
    As for the song sucking, that happens a lot (Specter!) so I wouldn't hold that against it.

Spectre had one of the best Bond songs of all time, they just chose not to use that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

After all our moaning on here, our expectations are so low that it will probably be alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,320 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

given how Independence Day seems to be tanking in the US but the Chinese market might save it, apparently there is a rule in China (unless its changed recently) that they are not allowed show movies with ghosts in them.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I think GB will do well on opening weekend. The bitching and moaning alone has created more of an interest in it among those who would normally not be bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

silverharp wrote: »
    given how Independence Day seems to be tanking in the US but the Chinese market might save it, apparently there is a rule in China (unless its changed recently) that they are not allowed show movies with ghosts in them.

That's true, one of the Pirates Of The Cairrbean movies got banned in China due to ghosts. I think they are allowed show ghosts but not malevolent ones.

ps3lover wrote: »
    That's true, one of the Pirates Of The Cairrbean movies got banned in China due to ghosts. I think they are allowed show ghosts but not malevolent ones.

So, given that China has become a huge market for failing movies (Terminator Genysis, I'm looking at you!), does this mean that there'll eventually be a version of the Ghostbusters that completely ... ghostless?

So, given that China has become a huge market for failing movies (Terminator Genysis, I'm looking at you!), does this mean that there'll eventually be a version of the Ghostbusters that completely ... ghostless?

Bridesmaids?

:pac:

I didn't even really like Bridesmaids.

I didn't even really like Bridesmaids.

I put off watching for a long time as I assumed it was a chick flick. I was surprised and found parts quite funny. But then again my expectation were very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I thought 'Bridesmaids' was very good.

Kristen Wiig's girlie feakout at her mates wedding was gas.

Ah, it was great.

It might be just because I find toilet humour very.. hard to stomach, as it were, and many parts of Bridesmaids just felt like, "hey women can do it too!"

There were some funny parts, with Wiig being excellent as always, but I personally just don't like that humour.

Tony EH wrote: »
    I thought 'Bridesmaids' was very good.

Kristen Wiig's girlie feakout at her mates wedding was gas.

I thought when she was drunk on the airplane very funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

and because of the success of Bridesmaids Sony got Paul Feig to make a sequel only this time its got the Ghostbusters licence on top for a double whammy cash in...

Advertisement