Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GhostBusters 2016 **SPOILERS FROM POST 1751 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I hope they bring back them demon dog thingies!

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Nobody turns into a dog do they? Those are gargoyles that come alive.

Were they not demon dogs. And wait, who is this other person? Oh.. Moranis' love interest? I really haven't watched that movie in dogs years

Were they not demon dogs. And wait, who is this other person? Oh.. Moranis' love interest? I really haven't watched that movie in dogs years

Janine was the secretary. I think her and the Keymaster (Moranis) developed a bit of a love interest in the sequel.

The best part about my confusion is now I have a reason to rewatch the first movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The showed the first one on UK tv recently enough and they cut the "yes, it's true your honour, this man has no díck" line. WTF, it's one of the greatest lines in a movie ever.

I remember being distracted by my Dad laughing at it and not understanding what exactly was funny.

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »
    The showed the first one on UK tv recently enough and they cut the "yes, it's true your honour, this man has no díck" line. WTF, it's one of the greatest lines in a movie ever.

I remember being distracted by my Dad laughing at it and not understanding what exactly was funny.

Wasn't it true that that line followed the actor around for years after?

To bring this back to Ghostbusters, there's no reason why women can't bust ghosts too. But viewed in the context of the women-behaving-badly genre, for which Feig is best known and which this film will probably most closely resemble, it is probably just a cheap and lazy cash-in that failed to anticipate the hornet's nest of (entirely male) nerd rage that it has inspired. I hope I'm wrong, though, because if the script is self-aware enough to realise the upset the film was going to cause then it might be better than the trailers suggest.

Agree with all but there has been quite a lot of female YouTubers against the over the top and/or gimmicky "girl power" on show lately from Hollywood. Be it on TV with Supergirl (which lays it on thick but saved by Benoist) or films like apparently the upcoming Ghostbusters

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Nobody turns into a dog do they? Those are gargoyles that come alive.

Dana and Louis turn into demon dogs. The gargoyles chase them down and possess them. When Gozer arrives, they transform into gargoyle/demon dog form.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Wasn't it true that that line followed the actor around for years after?

Yeah, with that and Die Hard he must have had a horrible 90s.
    I read an article recently where people apologise to him now for hating him so much when they were a kid watching the movies.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Yeah, with that and Die Hard he must have had a horrible 90s.
    I read an article recently where people apologise to him now for hating him so much when they were a kid watching the movies.

If anything, it shows how good those movies are. As far as I know, the actor that played Joffrey in Game of Thrones actually had people coming up to him to call him a c*nt, because they hated the character so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

py2006 wrote: »
    I hope they bring back them demon dog thingies!

Dear God I hope not! I'm already baffled as to why Stay-Puffed, a summoned incarnation of a demon so specific to Ray's imagination in a universe where Ray isn't a Ghostbuster, should show up.
    The crawling level of fan service that did so much to undermine (IMO) the new Starwars movie never does anything but undermine the story which has to twist so that it can come up with yet another improbable reason why some fan favorite character or moment must be repeated. Rarely does that achieve anything other then remind people of why originality trumps stale repetition every time.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If anything, it shows how good those movies are. As far as I know, the actor that played Joffrey in Game of Thrones actually had people coming up to him to call him a c*nt, because they hated the character so much.

Don't think that's a sign of a good show/movie as much as it's a sign of how stupid some people are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, feel sorry for any actor who gets harassed on the street by any 'fan' incapable of separating reality from fiction.

I actually thought Star Wars did a great job of fan service - it was a good movie, with good actors, and really well done. Sure, it was essentially a rehashing of previous movies, but they actually did a good job. Independence Day 2, however, which was filled with so much fan service, did such a terrible job by being a poor movie.

Re: Joffrey, think it was one of the reasons he quit acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah, feel sorry for any actor who gets harassed on the street by any 'fan' incapable of separating reality from fiction.

wonder if yer man Iwan Rheon gets the same treatment or are the same type of people too scared of 'im.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Met Iwan Rheon at Glastonbury and was a fairly quiet shy lad.... more like Simon in Misfits than Ramsay Bolton! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

He was great in the show.
    Really wanted to see him torn apart though. They pussied out on that for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,319 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Bryan Murray got that after Brookside because he played an abusive father in the show. how mental are some people, winding them up with a bit of banter is one thing but jeez

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    Bryan Murray got that after Brookside because he played an abusive father in the show. how mental are some people, winding them up with a bit of banter is one thing but jeez

I'm fairly certain I saw him in a pub in Blanch recently

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Apperently Sony pushed the review embargo back from Monday to the day it opens in America.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/midnightsedge/permalink/1259053387452582/?comment_id=1259055860785668&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R%22%7D
    We have recently learned that the review embargo got extended from Monday morning to Monday evening to when the movie opens. I have reason to believe this is because many reviews from established outlets are mixed to negative, so they want to keep a lid on it. Only select fans who they know will say positive stuff are allowed to speak early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

ps3lover wrote: »

Meaning its crap but we dont want anybody to actually let you know :D

So much confidence :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

nix wrote: »
    Meaning its crap but we dont want anybody to actually let you know :D

So much confidence :pac:

Unless they are trolling the Internet (knowing the conclusions everyone will jump to) and they think they have a hit on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Ah, I've seen embargoes on a lot of cool stuff, that doesn't really mean anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,319 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

just saw a big ghostbusters advert outside my local Spar , they are really pushing it. meanwhile the Tarzan movie seems to have had very little publicity even though word of mouth seems to be saying its worth going to see.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Grayditch wrote: »
    Ah, I've seen embargoes on a lot of cool stuff, that doesn't really mean anything.

This is a little different. Firstly because they kept pushing it back. The embargo was supposed to be dropped last Monday, then it was next Mondy, now it's the day of release.
    It's also odd because it's out here on Monday, so why keep embargoing the critics in the US Until Friday? Independence Day 2 did that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Lack of press screening is always a bad sign, even if some films still end up being good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There's a difference between an embargo and no press screenings. Embargoes are the norm with just about all studio films. The issue here is the potentially spurious claims that the embargo has been pushed back because of mixed reactions from critics. The source for which is some guy on Facebook.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Also worth noting that even if the embargo has been pushed back to Sunday/Monday, it'll only really impact UK/Ireland as the film isn't releasing anywhere else until a few days later.

I still suspect the general consensus will be a resounding 'it's fine, I guess', equally disappointing everybody who believes this is a cinematic war crime and those who hope against hope that it'll be brilliant to stick it to the previously mentioned group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

My guess is that it will do reasonably well with critics (say 70+ percent on Metacritic) and will be mostly slated by users/everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

One things for sure, regardless of how good or bad it is: the comment sections will make the comment sections under your average superhero review seem positively sane and rational in comparison :pac:

Advertisement