Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GhostBusters 2016 **SPOILERS FROM POST 1751 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Enjoyed this more than I thought I would, better than I expected but probably a 6/10.

Leslie Jones was decent enough in the film after all the shîte given out about her character following the first trailer. I seem to be in the minority but I absolutely hated Kate McKinnon's "wacky" character, just seemed very forced and irritating.

Biggest problem lastnight was the painful audience in cineworld, clapping and wooping at minor bits, pockets of people actually guffawing at every single joke. There were actual screams at some of the cameos, what is wrong with people :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Slydice wrote: »
    Right, today was opening day and MilesMorales1 got the first review in.

After that, here's how the posts roughly stacked up (how I categorised posts in attached txt file):

Actual Reviews:
    Positive
    MilesMorales1 - review - fine
    johnny_ultimate - review - fun
    constitutionus - review - good
    Cantstandsya - review - good
    e_e - review - fine
    Slydice - review - fun
    FunLover18 - review - good

Negative
    Neamhshuntasach - review - terrible
    ScouseMouse - review - poor

Other Posts:
    Positive
    2 x johnny_ultimate - not conspiracy
    Darko - not conspiracy
    Oafley Jones - not conspiracy
    pixelburp - not conspiracy
    Christy42 - not conspiracy
    MilesMorales1 - not conspiracy
    Unearthly - not conspiracy
    Grayditch - not conspiracy
    e_e - not conspiracy
    Arghus - not conspiracy
    FunLover18 - not conspiracy

Negative
    5 x py2006 - conspiracy
    3 x ShakerMaker91 - conspiracy
    2 x pumpkin4life - highlight negative score
    3 x Green Fella - conspiracy
    Arne_Saknussem - conspiracy

Neutral
    smash - question about film
    ThomasFlynn - question about film
    2 x Basq - answer about film
    johnny_ultimate - answer about film

Just to clarify: I actually saw this for the first time ever and I thought it was boring and inoffensive but not downright bad. Say 4/10. Way worse ****e out there.

I demand to be moved into the neutral category!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Also, I forgot to say earlier
    Steve Higgins as the rogue Dean
    was a show stealer for me. Minimum screen time, maximum impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Christy42

For all those claiming that feminism is taking over Hollywood. Take a look at movie posters for every movie released this year and try and repeat that statement.

Seriously there are still a few lead roles for men left:p. Came back from Now you see me 2 last week and only noticed when I checked out the posters for the movie how overwhelmingly male the cast is.

Have a lead woman and it gets called overly feminised (see star wars which is a fairly heavily male based cast).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Looking forward to catching this during the week. It might* be the only summer blockbuster I'll see this year because ironically it''l be refreshing . I'm tired of all the superhero stuff and/or films where earth is smashed to a pulp.

*If Suicide Squad manages to be it's own thing and not weighed down by the DC EU then that'll be the other one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

maximoose wrote: »
    Enjoyed this more than I thought I would, better than I expected but probably a 6/10.

Leslie Jones was decent enough in the film after all the shîte given out about her character following the first trailer. I seem to be in the minority but I absolutely hated Kate McKinnon's "wacky" character, just seemed very forced and irritating.

Biggest problem lastnight was the painful audience in cineworld, clapping and wooping at minor bits, pockets of people actually guffawing at every single joke. There were actual screams at some of the cameos, what is wrong with people :pac:

She seems to be a total marmite character. People either think she's the best thing about the movie or the worst (by a long way).

I agree with you, I thought she was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I was in Cineworld as well last night and that did bother me but it was also nice to be reminded that there are hard core fans of the original who still have a sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

3e3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

While I haven't got the highest of hopes for this film, I'll still see it it.

Based on the trailers it does come across as somewhat unfunny, but then again, so was the original. Given the comedy cast & crew behind the original it's quite amazing how unfunny that film actually is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

For me, McKinnon was the star because she had an unhinged energy that was lacking from the film otherwise. Given that even Melissa McCarthy is playing it reserved here, McKinnon's quirks and eccentricities stood out in a good way. There was a pleasantly oddball edge to her performance, and found her unreserved glee in her sadistic (well, sadistic towards malevolent spirits) homemade instruments one of the most enjoyable comedic throughlines in the film - culminating, of course, in her lovely little action setpiece :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

Christy42 wrote: »
    For all those claiming that feminism is taking over Hollywood. Take a look at movie posters for every movie released this year and try and repeat that statement.

Seriously there are still a few lead roles for men left:p. Came back from Now you see me 2 last week and only noticed when I checked out the posters for the movie how overwhelmingly male the cast is.

Have a lead woman and it gets called overly feminised (see star wars which is a fairly heavily male based cast).

I agree with you here. It's ridiculous to suggest that Feminism is taking over Hollywood. People in Hollywood are only interested in making money.

Of course you will get the smaller budget, independent, movies with a strong Feminist angle but the mainstream is still very male focused.

How often do we see a movie that creates a big buzz with a majority female audience? Fifty Shades of Grey, Twilight, Sex and the City?

I would say that there is a recent trend of Feminists trying to "claim" movies as their own though.

For example, people will claim that The Force Awakens or Fury Road are "Feminist Movies" and I don't really get it to be honest. You could switch the genders of the Rey and Furiosa characters and nothing about the movies would change at all. Those movies don't really have a strong message about equality and they don't really do much to challenge gender stereotypes beyond "here is a strong woman doing awesome things". How can people claim they are feminist movies?

From personal experience, the audience for both of these movies (and the usual Marvel films) was mostly male and most of the online hype was being created by dudes.

Even if the basic premise of these films is that the bad people are male and the good people are female that wouldn't make the movie seem particularly Feminist to me. More like lazy. More like instead of appealing to the lowest common denominator "I likes guns and 'splosions" type they are just appealing to the lowest common denominator "OMG! Men are the worst" types.

I guess that a 50 Shades sequel would be massively popular with women. Same for a Sex and the City 3 or maybe a reboot of The Notebook or something. Would these be considered Feminist movies?

What is "feminist" about Ghostbusters 2016? It has women in it? That's it? That's all it takes?

Regarding Ghostbusters 2016, it has been predictable for some months which people were going to say this movie is really bad and which people were going to say that it's really good. I would hope to see someone jump the fence on this film but it looks like that's not going to happen.

I'd quite like to see the Angry Video Game Nerd turn around and say "actually I did go and see the movie and I really enjoyed it and had a great 2 hours at the cinema" but I feel like it's not going to happen.

I'd be impressed if Devin Faraci were to come out and say "OK, this movie was just pandering garbage hiding it's awfulness behind claims of misogyny" but we know for sure it's not going to happen.

So this will probably get average reviews and bomb at the box office. What's next?

To hell with the movies anyway, I can't wait for the next instalment of "Social Justice Cuckservative Snowflake Warriors vs Angry Manbaby 40 Year Old Basement Dwellers"!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

orubiru wrote: »
    To hell with the movies anyway, I can't wait for the next instalment of "Social Justice Cuckservative Snowflake Warriors vs Angry Manbaby 40 Year Old Basement Dwellers"!

This is how I feel too.

"And I'm reaping all the benefits".

tumblr_n92pkvOUfO1rvzbdgo1_500.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

For example, people will claim that The Force Awakens or Fury Road are "Feminist Movies" and I don't really get it to be honest. You could switch the genders of the Rey and Furiosa characters and nothing about the movies would change at all. Those movies don't really have a strong message about equality and they don't really do much to challenge gender stereotypes beyond "here is a strong woman doing awesome things". How can people claim they are feminist movies?

Actually, if you changed the Furiosa character in Mad Max, along with the majority of the female cast, you would be left with a very different film :) The narrative is about a group of women escaping from being enslaved by a man solely for their beauty and child-bearing capacity, and beyond that are purely disposable objects (see, for example, when Joe manages to recapture a 'damaged' Splendid). The film ends with a group of freshly liberated women returning to their original site of oppression and literally rising to a newly-gained position of power. I can honestly say I have never seen much more overtly feminist imagery in mainstream blockbuster cinema than the final sequence of Fury Road. None of this is to say it couldn't have gone quite a bit further with its feminist themes, or necessarily belongs alongside the great feminist artworks. Heck, it's written and directed by men which is a point well worth noting (not that men can't be feminists, of course) ;) But for a major Hollywood blockbuster it's notable nonetheless!

Force Awakens, on the other hand, I'd be reluctant to hold up as a feminist work and instead one that just is happy to celebrate the diversity and range of its fictional universe (which just happens to include a new female hero). Fury Road, though, has its feminist credentials baked into its very visual and narrative DNA :)

Actual Im mistaken it couldnt be less subtle.

And if you believe Hollywood arent totally Liberal and pushing more extreme Liberal films, Im not sure what to say. I guess I must be a tin foil hat wearing right winger. The reviews (3.6 on IMDB), hate and failings/ poor returns on this film dont lie.

Why are all the men in the film depicted as idiots? Would that wash the other way around? If they want to play PC and cry sexism all the time, they cant have it both ways

You have movies like Transformers (they are filming the 5th one right now) that totally contradict your point of view here.

They get brutal reviews and yet are massively popular.

Also, in Transformers the women, especially young women, in the films are depicted as... well... sex objects really. Yet, the movies are massively popular. So it does work the other way round when you think about it.

Entourage movie, Wolf of Wall Street, Spectre off the top of my head these are movies that don't exactly treat the women in the films well.

I think you might be right about Ghostbusters in that it is pandering to a particular audience but so what? James Bond panders to a specific audience too.

A discussion about inclusiveness in movies is bound to go round in circles like this. It's not possible to make a movie that successfully appeals to everyone. So maybe the studios are thinking they need to have a roster of movies that appeal to different audiences?

It appears to boil down to people wanting to watch a popular movie but finding out that the movie is not really for them. Then complaining that the movie isn't for them.

I am sure that as I get older I will begin to feel this way about Marvel or Star Wars movies. They are being made for the younger generation and will obviously try to appeal to them. They aren't making movies for 40 year old basement dwellers like me, they are making movies for kids who will go to the cinema, spend some money, then tell all their friends about the OMG AWESOME!!!!111 movie that they saw.

The backlash against Ghostbusters is obvious from that point of view. There is an already existing audience that is hungry for a new, and good, Ghostbusters movie. However, the new Ghostbusters movie is not aimed at that audience. So there is outrage. It's predictable.

I dunno, could you imagine if Manchester United decided to just leave England and move to San Francisco to join the USA soccer league? I doubt the people of Manchester would be particularly happy about that. It's the same thing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

For me, McKinnon was the star because she had an unhinged energy that was lacking from the film otherwise. Given that even Melissa McCarthy is playing it reserved here, McKinnon's quirks and eccentricities stood out in a good way. There was a pleasantly oddball edge to her performance, and found her unreserved glee in her sadistic (well, sadistic towards malevolent spirits) homemade instruments one of the most enjoyable comedic throughlines in the film - culminating, of course, in her lovely little action setpiece :)

In a way I agree with everything you said, I follow her week-to-week most of the year on SNL (where she is regularly the funniest person on it) and I expected her to be funnier in Ghostbusters. Now, I'm not necessarily saying it's her fault. In a way she wasn't given a huge amount of funny dialogue, but you've made a really good point there, the performance shouldn't be overlooked and I probably undersold her in my earlier review.

Actually, if you changed the Furiosa character in Mad Max, along with the majority of the female cast, you would be left with a very different film :) The narrative is about a group of women escaping from being enslaved by a man solely for their beauty and child-bearing capacity, and beyond that are purely disposable objects (see, for example, when Joe manages to recapture a 'damaged' Splendid). The film ends with a group of freshly liberated women returning to their original site of oppression and literally rising to a newly-gained position of power. I can honestly say I have never seen much more overtly feminist imagery in mainstream blockbuster cinema than the final sequence of Fury Road. None of this is to say it couldn't have gone quite a bit further with its feminist themes, or necessarily belongs alongside the great feminist artworks. Heck, it's written and directed by men which is a point well worth noting (not that men can't be feminists, of course) ;) But for a major Hollywood blockbuster it's notable nonetheless!

Force Awakens, on the other hand, I'd be reluctant to hold up as a feminist work and instead one that just is happy to celebrate the diversity and range of its fictional universe (which just happens to include a new female hero). Fury Road, though, has its feminist credentials baked into its very visual and narrative DNA :)

Nah, I disagree.

Sure, from your subjective point of view, you can say that this is a Feminist movie.

For me it's just a dumb action movie. Beautiful, immersive and exciting but still pretty shallow.

Objectively though? I can't see how it's obviously feminist.

My issue really is with a movie being claimed by ideological groups as one of their own when it really isn't.

I'm actually not even really sure if good art should be pushing an ideology at all or if it's a good idea to look for confirmation of your ideology in artworks.

I suppose art can also be propaganda?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Mad Max FR is very feminist though. Its written into the script and the narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Yep, they had Vagina Monologues Eve Ensler work as a consultant on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

im kinda baffled at McKinnons character being so marmite.

particularly after years of "the big bang theory" holtzman to me clearly suffers from some form of socio/personality disorder. a sheldon cooper with tech skills if you will, only she actually WANTS friends.

hence that somewhat awkward, but characteristically real , toast from her at the end.

i thought she and her enthusiam was the best thing in this.

i dont know the comedian from eve so if its how she normally does stuff fair enought, but it looked to me like she was channeling that for inspiration.

the stuff that actually bothers me more about the film now is how things pan out that in hindsight dont make alot of sense (or none at all :) )

patty for instance. when did she join the ghostbusters ?

she's this films version of winston- the working prole that balances out the academic leads- but winston was hired by the ghostbusters in the original when business got too much for them to handle by themselves . patty is a client, and last i checked one that didnt pay em.

in fact i cant think of ANYONE actually hiring the ghostbusters in this to bust ghosts ! they just turn up when randomers call em for no apparent fee. how are they paying for all this stuff ?

:D:D:D:D

also theres an awfull lot of jokes in this that stem from the "controversey". one or two i can understand but it seem like half the script at times. it makes you wonder just how much of this was done on the fly.

like i said before stuff like this doesnt usually occur to me as were talking about a popcorn movie, but it just stands out more now considering the films backdrop.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I saw the movie and though I was one of those that thought the movie looked fine from the trailers I was still pleasantly surprised. It was continuously funny and they all had great chemistry. The only thing that annoyed me was the constant throwbacks and referencing of the old movie. I don't know, they just seemed out of place a lot of the time.

As for those saying all the men in this movie are portrayed as idiots...its true they are. But everyone who is not a ghostbuster are portrayed as idiots. Men and women. That seems to overlooked by those who seem convinced this movie is trying to push some kind of "agenda"

• Advertisement

I'm actually not even really sure if good art should be pushing an ideology at all or if it's a good idea to look for confirmation of your ideology in artworks.

Come now, that's a preposterous statement :) Of course art can and should be ideological, in fact there's a strong argument to be made that art is inherently ideological (ignoring a political or social context can actually be a very strong ideological act in and of itself). Should the great Iranian filmmakers stop making films that critique their society and regime, often at great personal cost, just because somebody may not agree with their viewpoint? Of course not.

And of course it's not just about looking to reaffirm one's own belief systems (although naturally you'll drift towards works you find some meaning and connection with). I adore some clearly religious works such as Passion of Joan of Arc and Tree of Life despite being a staunch atheist. And I can appreciate the incredible form and expression of Soy Cuba despite it very obviously being a communist propaganda piece :)

But yeah, I think this is a conversation that's moving well away from Ghostbusters, and will let people get back to discussing that now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Agree there's nothing fundamentally wrong with ideologically driven art, disagree that all art is inherently ideological.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

in fact i cant think of ANYONE actually hiring the ghostbusters in this to bust ghosts ! they just turn up when randomers call em for no apparent fee. how are they paying for all this stuff ?

In the original, their fees are astronomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Of course "art can be propaganda". The vast majority of war films are propaganda.

But that's not what's going on here.

This is simply a money making exercise, that's re-using a well loved (over loved IMHO) film's title and concept with a tacked on gimmick.

There's nothing more to it.

Nu Ghostbusters isn't some grand plan to disenfranchise men, or push women to the top in hollywood. Nor is it feminist propaganda of any sort, regardless of who claims it.

It's, sadly, just another film, in the seemingly endless line of remakes, reboots, rejigs and what have you that will eventually live in the shadow of it's former incarnation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

This is what annoys me about the response to the criticism of the trailers and perhaps the finished movie. If you criticise this movie (as a male) that means that not only do you hate women, you are basically a failure in your life and are of a certain age, living at your mom's, overweight, sitting at your pc on your own because you are 40 ugly and single. The essence of the feminism recently.

What is their reaction to female criticism? Or does that even exist in their little minds.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Of course "art can be propaganda". The vast majority of war films are propaganda.

But that's not what's going on here.

This is simply a money making exercise, that's re-using a well loved (over loved IMHO) film's title and concept with a tacked on gimmick.

There's nothing more to it.

Nu Ghostbusters isn't some grand plan to disenfranchise men, or push women to the top in hollywood. Nor is it feminist propaganda of any sort, regardless of who claims it.

It's, sadly, just another film, in the seemingly endless line of remakes, reboots, rejigs and what have you that will eventually live in the shadow of it's former incarnation.

I agree with this. 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Tony EH wrote: »

Sadly, I don't think it's just another remake and I do think there was a grand plan behind it. If there wasn't, then why the complete gender reversal? Why not try a mixed gender team to shake it up a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

smash wrote: »
    Why not try a mixed gender team to shake it up a bit?

Sounds good but thats not 'progessive' enough it would seem. Progression in certain eyes is exclusive of a certain gender.

I'm personally excited by the casting. Took me a bit to get over that it wasn't GB3 with original cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

smash wrote: »
    Sadly, I don't think it's just another remake and I do think there was a grand plan behind it. If there wasn't, then why the complete gender reversal? Why not try a mixed gender team to shake it up a bit?

the North Korean Sony email leaks laid it all out what Feig would like to do , Alien ghosts etc. Sony seem to be desperate to get their hands on a profitable franchise

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

py2006 wrote: »
    This is what annoys me about the response to the criticism of the trailers and perhaps the finished movie. If you criticise this movie (as a male) that means that not only do you hate women, you are basically a failure in your life and are of a certain age, living at your mom's, overweight, sitting at your pc on your own because you are 40 ugly and single. The essence of the feminism recently.

What is their reaction to female criticism? Or does that even exist in their little minds.

It doesn't make any sense, right?

The truth about those accusations though is that it's really just designed to make people feel bad about themselves. It's just a form of bullying.

The Angry Video Game Nerd is a perfect example. I am fairly certain he isn't sexist or misogynist and he doesn't seem like a bad person at all. I would guess that accusations of sexism may even hurt him on a personal level. That's the intention with these kind of accusations.

I can say I'm not sexist or racist or whatever because I know I'm not. So if I criticise a movie or say a movie is garbage or say i'm not going to watch something and the response to that is "typical sexist white male" then actually that is kind of hurtful.

Accusing someone you don't even know of being a horrible person, based on very questionable evidence, is a form of bullying. In my opinion anyway.

Once upon a time, I really liked the Bad Ass Digest (now Birth Movies Death) website but more and more recently they engage in this bullying behaviour. Most worrying is that they seem to genuinely believe that they are the good guys here.

I really don't like a lot of these reboots, remakes and sequels and I find it amusing to go on rants about them, or to listen to other people's rants. This is the first time I've really felt like I can't, or shouldn't, give out about a movie because doing so could potentially damage friendships etc.

Jeez, if Prometheus had been an all female cast then I would have been sent to the Gulag forever!

At the same time though people who are genuinely flipping out over women in Star Wars or whatever other reboot had better be trolls because genuinely getting worked up over that stuff is a kind of sad existence.

Advertisement