Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GhostBusters 2016 **SPOILERS FROM POST 1751 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I don't actually believe that Sony paid for any reviews. But it definitely has happened in the video games industry at least although I don't remember ever hearing about it happening in the case of movie reviews. Think it came out just today that WB games were paying for positive reviews especially to YouTubers.

It would be one of the most stupid things Sony could do all the same. Every film released for years to come would consistently have everyone ****ting on it because they bought reviews before. In the long run it would cost them a lot more cash than they'd gain over this one movie. Also any reviewer would be finished, the Internet doesn't tend to let things slide.

But video game companies were stupid enough to do it so there's that.

As for the film. Not sure when I'm going to get to see it but I'm looking forward to it based on most people seemingly saying they laughed a good bit. That's all I really want from this.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Like the nerd I am, I counted the Top Critics reviews on rottentomatoes.com to weigh the good and bad reviews

12 bad
    11 good

and judging by the scores (mostly 2/5 or 3/5) it seems that Ghostbusters is officially......
    0SiK4BL.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Mediocre would be a fair bit better than the trailers suggested, so at least that's something.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

I don't know if anyone follows box office at all but apperantly Ghostbusters Monday and Tuesday in the UK & Ireland have been a disaster. It opened at number 2 on Monday and slipped down to 3 on Tuesday.
    It still could end up doing well stateside though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

ps3lover wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone follows box office at all but apperantly Ghostbusters Monday and Tuesday in the UK & Ireland have been a disaster. It opened at number 2 on Monday and slipped down to 3 on Tuesday.

it seems like a cr@p time to release a movie, a lot of kids will be on holidays. it would be interesting to know what the demographic is, Kids? parents and kids? twenty somethings?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Judging from the reviews, my inital impression of the movie from the trailer has been confirmed, that it's a lukewarm reheated rehash of a better movie that's not really worth the time, so I'll be waiting for a decent download by the looks of it.
    I'd not felt so unengaged by something that should have sent my fanboy senses tingling since the trailer for The Amazing Spiderman with Andrew Garfield, a film that felt jaded before it had even been released because I just had no interest in a reboot of a reboot brought to you by the same people that had no earthly idea what made the character great the first time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ps3lover wrote: »

im facinated to see how this does states side TBH.

There have been MANY films ive loved that made out like gangbusters in the "Foreign" market (i.e us and the rest of the planet) thatve absolutely bombed in the states.

and with this film ive got the feeling that the foreign market would be the one to save it from good word of mouth/ actual sales. john cater would be a good benchmark there. it literally made 3 times as much outside of america than in it.

so if its not doing well here- and were a very good cinema going market- then it doesnt bode well for it IMO. lets be honest its not like theres anything really big for it to be up against beside tarzan and the Nth ice age film.

theres also something really off on the release date. anytime a new films come out here its been a wed at the earliest. monday is just bizarre. maybe they want to boast about a full weeks showing instead of the three or more that'd normally result in.

As i stated in my own review earlier i thought it was good and infact could see myself going to see it again on a slow week, but if the very vocal boycott campains in the states actually have feet under em it could kill it stone dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Digital Spy have a take on the trailers vs the movie,a lot of junk from the trailers never made the final cut.http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/ghostbusters/feature/a801090/7-things-in-the-ghostbusters-trailers-that-werent-in-the-film/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I always watch this guys reviews, they are funny and insightful.

(no spoilers)
    Every male character in this movie is either an idiot, a coward or an asshole and its pretty unprecedented....and the final resolution to this movie involves another hit at men...

it IS undeniable that this is the most misandrist film ive ever seen.

seriously its kinda impressive.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

im facinated to see how this does states side TBH.

It's going to finish behind The Life of Pets (which is on it's second week in the States) but Variety says it could make around 35 to 40 million which isn't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Have seen a few people mention it's not being shown very often in their local cinemas.. same as Sligo Omniplex, with it being shown in possibly the smallest screen in the place.

To be honest, there was far from a big crowd at the showing I was at... is it just not being advertised enough, not enough demand or what is it?

I'd have thought it was one of the more anticipated movies (maybe for the wrong reasons!) of the Summer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I doubt it's misandrist as much as it's completely bland and uninspired. From what I can tell they've just had a go at soft rebooting the original, crammed it full of references and cameos to said original and then tried to pass off "all female main cast" as a selling point. Why would I go and see a film based solely on the fact that all the main characters are female? Ultimately, I'll give it a miss unless it scores rave reviews based on the fact that Melissa McCarthy is the only one of the main cast I'm familiar with and she's absolutely dire.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Even the I Spit On Your Grave movies have a few men who are presented as being nice guys.

Also, looks like it have been banned in China.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07/13/new-ghostbusters-may-be-banned-in-china/

Basq wrote: »
    Have seen a few people mention it's not being shown very often in their local cinemas.. same as Sligo Omniplex, with it being shown in possibly the smallest screen in the place.

To be honest, there was far from a big crowd at the showing I was at... is it just not being advertised enough, not enough demand or what is it?

I'd have thought it was one of the more anticipated movies (maybe for the wrong reasons!) of the Summer.

think its more to do with the weird monday release date.

the IMC in tallaght goes from 3 to 5 showings from friday with the weekend showing even more.

right now vue is doing 9 shows a day.

ya might see an upkick in your local then.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

py2006 wrote: »
    I always watch this guys reviews, they are funny and insightful.

(no spoilers)

Every Character in the movie that wasn't a ghostbuster - male of female was portrayed as an idiot or a coward. People seem to over look that every other woman in this movie was an idiot or coward. Either they don't see it or it doesn't fit the narrative they are trying to create.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

This will be banned in China as you cannot show paranormal ghosts on film there believe it or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Every Character in the movie that wasn't a ghostbuster - male of female was portrayed as an idiot or a coward. People seem to over look that every other woman in this movie was an idiot or coward. Either they don't see it or it doesn't fit the narrative they are trying to create.

It's also not like the Ghostbusters themselves are portrayed as regular Einteins either. They're just more clued in to what's going on because they actually believe in ghosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

This will be banned in China as you cannot show paranormal ghosts on film there believe it or not!

Ouch. World Of Warcraft relied heavily on the Asian market to make money after that film was savaged by the press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Spot on and funny review that references the "misandry" (rolls eyes) point that was brought up earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Enjoyed it. Laughed a lot.

Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

This Ghostbusters III is crap. Nothing compared to the Real Ghostbusters films.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    This Ghostbusters III is crap. Nothing compared to the Real Ghostbusters films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

The real stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Went to see it tonight and really enjoyed it, and I'm a HUGE fan of the original.

Sure, it's silly and some of the lines are a bit cringey, but this could be said for parts of the original too. It's a spoof ghost movie for God's sake. People are taking it way too seriously.

It had some really funny lines and overall was just a bit of fun. I liked the nods to the original- didn't find it too much at all. It still allowed for the 4 main characters to do their own thing and have to be simply female versions of the original Ghostbusters, yet still keep the connection with the original movies.

As for complaining that Hemsworth (who was probably my favourite in it, played his part so well) is portrayed as stupid? EVERYONE is stupid in this movie, every single character, including the "scientists"- it's a silly, fun, over the top, ridiculous, stupid movie. There's no place for anyone high brow in it, it wouldn't fit in at all with the whole premise of the thing if people were obviously intelligent.

People need to stop being so damn precious and enjoy it for what it is. The original movies (which weren't perfect either) still exist, nothing will change that. Yeah it's quite self-aware, but this one just provides a bit of a twist on a fun tale.

A decent 7/10 for me.

Edit: That should read NOT have to be female versions of the original characters- was half asleep writing that :D

Aren't all ghosts paranormal? :p

I could be wrong but I think its only malevolent ghosts they don't show?

Grayditch wrote: »
    Ouch. World Of Warcraft relied heavily on the Asian market to make money after that film was savaged by the press.

The Asian market saved Terminator Genesis...

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

py2006 wrote: »
    Aren't all ghosts paranormal? :p

I could be wrong but I think its only malevolent ghosts they don't show?

Ya you're right its malevolent I cant see this being allowed in China anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It's actually phenomenal that the entirety of this movie's publicity has an 'us vs them' theme, coming from every angle. I don't think anything like this has happened on this scale before.

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    It's actually phenomenal that the entirety of this movie's publicity has an 'us vs them' theme, coming from every angle. I don't think anything like this has happened on this scale before.

Probably a bit unfair alright.

I think this pic from early in the production didn't help:

ghostbusters-girl-power-female-twitter-today-tease-150826_18ae083856b059395a2d9678ad3156d5.jpg

Advertisement