Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GhostBusters 2016 **SPOILERS FROM POST 1751 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Meangadh wrote: »
    I'd love to hear you argue it, but again, not here.

Oh it wouldn't be me, there are far more articulate and knowledgeable people who are more qualified to counter that argument in the Gentlemens Club. Pop in and say hi...

Who you gonna call? ;-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

py2006 wrote: »
    My only concern is that I have nobody to go with lol.

What does that matter? Go anyway.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

What does that matter? Go anyway.

Yea, will probably have to.

I just have visions of me sitting in the middle of lots of kids haha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yea, will probably have to.

I always go alone. That way I enjoy 100% freedom over what I watch and can see films I'd otherwise miss. Nobody so far has given a crap as far as I can tell.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You guys should go together. Share a large popcorn n shít...

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    You guys should go together. Share a large popcorn n shít...

I prefer my popcorn without shít ...

Although not having seen it, I'd say this review from Rotten Tomatoes is probably accurate based on what I've heard:

"Not as clever as the 1984 Ghostbusters. Funnier than the 1989 sequel."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

This will be banned in China as you cannot show paranormal ghosts on film there believe it or not!

Doesn't China have a rich history of ghost stories?

Also, if this is banned, how come Chinese films like 'Mr Vampire' isn't? A film that features a ghost in the middle of the story that seduces the star. Or '鬼打鬼', whose title literally says 'The Ghosts battle the Ghosts'?

I think there's more to the banning of some films in China than just ghosts.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Doesn't China have a rich history of ghost stories?

Also, if this is banned, how come Chinese films like 'Mr Vampire' isn't? A film that features a ghost in the middle of the story that seduces the star. Or '鬼打鬼', whose title literally says 'The Ghosts battle the Ghosts'?

I think there's more to the banning of some films in China than just ghosts.

As said earlier, its malevolent ghosts they don't like apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

silverharp wrote: »
    you had me until that, young white middle class women don't have "privilege"? they were lucky they had the token black actress for the photo :D
    Actually, there's a second black woman on the right, behind the script supervisor. How many black women did you expect in a photo of twenty or so Americans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

smash wrote:
    Maybe it's because it's a reboot of what would probably be considered a classic by a lot of people, I don't know, but they've gone way off course here in a deliberate attempt to try and prove, something... What that something is, I'm still not sure of as the move itself seems completely unnecessary. The way I see it is that it doesn't matter if it's a lighthearted movie, which is how some people are fobbing it off, "sure it's just a bit of fun", maybe so but would the same disregard be given if 'The Godmother' was brought out as a reboot?

Have you seen it? They have 4 characters busting ghosts, they couldn't be more on course!! the only issue I'd have with a godmother reboot would the unoriginality but that's an issue I have with all reboots, the unnecessary nature of them as you said. But if Hollywood is going to reboot I have no problem with them trying something different and as I've mentioned the gender swap is a glimmer of originality in this remake which pretty much uses the foundation of the original.

I've only seen the original. Is Ghostbusters 2 no good?

'Ghostbusters 2' gets a lot of noise, but it isn't actually that bad. For a sequel anyway. It's worth a look.

It's biggest problem is that it's sort of obvious that the producers didn't know how to reproduce the "lightning in a bottle" that the first one had. Nobody expected 'Ghostbusters' to be the massive success that it was and it was a combination of a lot of things that can't simply be reproduced on a whim.

Everyone was expecting 'Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom' to be that years highest grossing film.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Have you seen it? They have 4 characters busting ghosts, they couldn't be more on course!! the only issue I'd have with a godmother reboot would the unoriginality but that's an issue I have with all reboots, the unnecessary nature of them as you said. But if Hollywood is going to reboot I have no problem with them trying something different and as I've mentioned the gender swap is a glimmer of originality in this remake which pretty much uses the foundation of the original.

No but I probably will, although not in the cinema unless I'm dragged along to it. I'm not a fan of Melissa McCarthy at all so even despite my dislike for most reboots and the way in which this one has been produced, I didn't ever hold high hopes for it unfortunately.

As said earlier, its malevolent ghosts they don't like apparently.

It's a "malevolent" ghost in 'Mr Vampire'. 'Painted Skin' from a couple of years ago is all about a "malevolent" ghost and that's a remake of a 90's film.

In any case, I think Sony better hope that China does show it, cos by the looks of things they'll need it to get their greedy hopes up for a sequel to this yoke. I don't think it'll make the money they were hoping for in the US and Europe.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's a "malevolent" ghost in 'Mr Vampire'. 'Painted Skin' from a couple of years ago is all about a "malevolent" ghost and that's a remake of a 90's film.

In any case, I think Sony better hope that China does show it, cos by the looks of things they'll need it to get their greedy hopes up for a sequel to this yoke. I don't think it'll make the money they were hoping for in the US and Europe.

Maybe Hong Kong movies are different to the rest of China? It's a weird one, I'm sure I've seen plenty of Chinese films with malevolent ghosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

Crazy how none of this uproar was about when Jurassic Park was rebooted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,309 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

mikhail wrote: »
    Actually, there's a second black woman on the right, behind the script supervisor. How many black women did you expect in a photo of twenty or so Americans?

with my sjw progressive stack hat on :pac: , I would discount Leslie because the 4th character at least was bound to be black, so out of 20 I'd expect 6 not to be white. In reality I dont care, anymore than I care about how many women are in the greater crew because I have no idea what competition they beat to be hired there or why it matters that they are women. I honestly don't get what they are supposed to be celebrating or what the message is supposed to be.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

tigger123 wrote: »

Jurassic Park wasn't rebooted Jurassic World is a sequel to the other films.

And there are plenty of people who thought it sucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Ah now, Jurassic World had plenty of armchair warriors. Not to the same level as Ghostbusters but still had plenty of criticism from fans of the original (myself included).

I'm glad to hear this isn't as bad as the trailers made out. TBH, I think there was always going to be a certain amount of uproar about the reboot of a fan favourite (especially a nerdy one like this) but the awful first trailer and the apparent gimmick of the gender switch just made for a perfect storm in terms of backlash that just gathered legs and picked up a lot of nasty sentiment in the process. This of course snowballed into a feminism argument where people who don't like it have to be very careful of their criticism for fear of being labeled a bigot/sexist. Just look at this thread, what % of it is actually talking about how good/bad the movie is?!

Personally, I still feel the switch to a female cast was a total gimmick, a lick of fresh paint to cover over a moldy wall. However, it is positive to see a female led action/hero flick and when it's out on BluRay, it'll be a perfect Friday night movie.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

there was backlash against that film on this site.
    personally I thought it was a load of b.s and couldnt understand how people were rating this as good as they were, a few others felt the same.

I still don't either. I think there is a massive distortion of quality when it comes to people being objective about what they like and I can sum this up with one example - Deadpool

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Seen this last night and it really unsettled me how Chris Hemsworth, in his role as Kevin the receptionist, was really just treated as a piece of meat. Three older women salivating over this young boy was creepy. 'Kevin' was objectified from start to finish and it must have been implied that he was dumb at a hundred different points throughout the feature. Why? Just because he is pretty?? Is that where we are at in 2016. Where a man can't be pretty and intelligent. I know I am.

Otherwise though, it's not the worst :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Jurassic Park wasn't rebooted Jurassic World is a sequel to the other films.

I believe they refer to it as a "soft" reboot. In theory it's a direct sequel, but in practice it's relaunching the franchise for right now.

Arghus wrote: »
    In theory it's a direct sequel, but in practice it's relaunching the franchise for right now.

In reality it was complete balls.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Better than 2, not as good as 1.
    Slapstick got boring after a while..

Would not recommend.

Arghus wrote: »
    In theory it's a direct sequel.
    No it's not. The original gang don't exist in this films universe.
    Apologies, thought you were on about gb3

He was talking about 'Jurassic World'. ;)

He was talking about 'Jurassic World'. ;)

Insert Dougel face...

Oh right Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

delete

• Advertisement

Seen this last night and it really unsettled me how Chris Hemsworth, in his role as Kevin the receptionist, was really just treated as a piece of meat. Three older women salivating over this young boy was creepy. 'Kevin' was objectified from start to finish and it must have been implied that he was dumb at a hundred different points throughout the feature. Why? Just because he is pretty?? Is that where we are at in 2016. Where a man can't be pretty and intelligent. I know I am.

Otherwise though, it's not the worst :P

Was the secretary in the origins ever portrayed like this? I don't remember her being brain dead.

Advertisement