Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GhostBusters 2016 **SPOILERS FROM POST 1751 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

No, she was largely just bored, then overworked and fancied Egon.

"Yeh, Ghostbusters...waddayawant."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Tony EH wrote: »
    In reality it was complete balls.

:D

I'm in agreement with you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

smash wrote: »
    Was the secretary in the origins ever portrayed like this? I don't remember her being brain dead.

Ah I was only messing really but nah, she wasn't, but that doesn't mean some would not like us to think she was. For me the film definitely came across at times as if it was trying to say 'Well, guys this is how you have been in films and so lets see how you like it' (in a lighthearted way at least). More seriously done in Thelma & Louise with Brad Pitt's character of course. It's boring and tedious but not in the least surprising.
    Has there been any condemnation of the scene where all four kill the large ghost by aiming at his testicles? Would imagine that could get some backlash as a joke was then made about it.

There was though, at least a half dozen laugh out loud scenes for me. Equally there was just as many tumbleweed moments too. Quite a few jokes were ruined with either bad timing on the actor's part or visually bad timing too, which was odd. Overall though, I have to say I did like it. It's decent enough and dare I say it, but for young kids that may not have seen the original and had a choice between the two, I think I'd actually recommend this one over it. For young adults to fully fledged ones though, I'd still go with the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Went to see this last night.

Bit saggy in the middle and the SFX heavy 'final battle' thing was as boring and weightless as those usually are, but overall – pretty good! I enjoyed it.

Great cast, some good laugh-out-loud lines and moments, nice to have a new story rather than a total re-telling of the original. Switching to a female cast definitely helped freshen things up.

Not a "great movie", but just what I was looking for in Ghostbusters tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Has there been any condemnation of the scene where all four kill the large ghost by aiming at his testicles? Would imagine that could get some backlash as a joke was then made about it.

I saw this joke in the trailer, well the bit where they hit the mark and was not impressed but it actually worked for me in the film.
    the joke wasn't haha he's a big scary man-ghost lets shoot him in the balls, it was we need him to loosen his grip and there's one definite way of getting him to do that.
    I didn't laugh at it but I didn't find it as crine-enducing as I was expecting from the trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

oh hey i just remembered a male character in this that WASNT a complete arse !

the metal head that comes out of the concert and high fives the villain.

for all 2.5 seconds he seems a top bloke !

:D

My cousin's kid and her mates are going to see this tonight. They're all dolled up, ready for the pictures. It's gas. :pac: Their ages are from 15 to 17, so it'll be interesting to see what they make of it.

They never saw the original. I said I'd lend them it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Absolutely baffled with the hostility this movie is attracting, I found Jurassic World a far more cynical reboot with little to admire and yet it didn't enrage anywhere near as many forum dwellers. With that aside, I found this to be the most enjoyable movie I've seen in the cinema thus far this year. Far more coherent than X Men, leagues more fun than Dawn of Justice, and simply better made than ID Resurgence. Put simply, I wasn't conscious of watching four women, I was watching four ghostbusters and I was completely fine with it. From what I've seen none of the marketing is proclaiming this as anything other than a light hearted action comedy, any perceived beliefs that this is a call to arms for women would appear to be coming entiretly from the darkest corners of the Internet and not the production studio itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Absolutely baffled with the hostility this movie is attracting, I found Jurassic World a far more cynical reboot with little to admire and yet it didn't enrage anywhere near as many forum dwellers. With that aside, I found this to be the most enjoyable movie I've seen in the cinema thus far this year. Far more coherent than X Men, leagues more fun than Dawn of Justice, and simply better made than ID Resurgence. Put simply, I wasn't conscious of watching four women, I was watching four ghostbusters and I was completely fine with it. From what I've seen none of the marketing is proclaiming this as anything other than a light hearted action comedy, any perceived beliefs that this is a call to arms for women would appear to be coming entiretly from the darkest corners of the Internet and not the production studio itself.

I liked ID Resurgence.

Absolutely baffled with the hostility this movie is attracting, I found Jurassic World a far more cynical reboot

I genuinely believe people of a certain age are just sick to the back teeth of these.

This 'Ghostbusters' is just caught in the middle of all that and that's where the primary attacks are.

Funny thing, my cousin's kid and her mates knew bugger all about all the "outrage".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Absolutely baffled with the hostility this movie is attracting, I found Jurassic World a far more cynical reboot

It wasn't a reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

smash wrote: »
    It wasn't a reboot.

Yes it bloody well was, just because the studio tried to call it a sequel by casting the scientist who was in the original for all of 45 seconds does not make it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Yes it bloody well was, just because the studio tried to call it a sequel by casting the scientist who was in the original for all of 45 seconds does not make it so.

It was a sequel, I wouldn't say it was a reboot. Relaunch would be the correct word. Existed in the same world as the first 3.

Anyway, back on topic. Seen Ghostbusters last night. It was good. Story was bit ropey but it provided laughs and I enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Goodshape wrote: »
    Went to see this last night.

Bit saggy in the middle and the SFX heavy 'final battle' thing was as boring and weightless as those usually are, but overall – pretty good! I enjoyed it.

Great cast, some good laugh-out-loud lines and moments, nice to have a new story rather than a total re-telling of the original. Switching to a female cast definitely helped freshen things up.

Not a "great movie", but just what I was looking for in Ghostbusters tbh.

As somebody that hated Bridesmaids (actually not sure if I even finished it) but thought The Heat was a pretty decent light film (I have a major soft spot for sandra bullock), where do you think this fits between the two?

Utterly sick of the bolded stuff in light hearted films these days

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tony EH wrote: »

I genuinely believe people of a certain age are just sick to the back teeth of these.

This 'Ghostbusters' is just caught in the middle of all that and that's where the primary attacks are.

Funny thing, my cousin's kid and her mates knew bugger all about all the "outrage".

It's easy to forget how much of an echo chamber the Internet has become, especially social media. What seems like the great social schism of our time tends not to resonate in the slightest with a great percentage of the population. With the net obsessed over clicks, retweets and likes, actual metrics for importance have become muddied.

I agree too about the reboot culture. I try to maintain an open mind with each one - Ghostbusters included - but at this point I just have a standing feeling of tired resignation about the whole trend. What anger I had for my favourites of yesteryear being remade has given way to a jaded hopelesness. The fury behind the ghostbusters gender has been utterly farcical and pathetic, but any cynicism has been earned at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I honestly went into this with an open mind but pretty much from the get go I knew it was gonna be a long haul. It had a serious pacing problem, like a lot of the scenes fell flat. It was like watching an awkward conversation. Clearly there was a lot of improv which didn't work. I was actually embarrassed sitting in the cinema watching this. And it's not a gender issue, it's an editing, writing and directing issue. Especially the writing........there was literally no plot and it was just a bore. That's the word I'd use to sum it up, boring.
    Do yourself a favour, avoid this, save your money and go see the BFG next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

The problem with this Ghostbusters is it is really bad. Ghostbusters 1 & 2 are far better works of film. This movie reeks of studio involvement. It is a reinvention of an old idea that does not need an upgrade. The last two were brilliant. Who wants this film which is more in the style of Scooby Doo. At least with Scooby Doo it was for a young audience and it was a real life version of a cartoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Terrible movie, just awful. I was blushing with embarrassment in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Terrible movie, just awful. I was blushing with embarrassment in the cinema.

I was the same. It felt similar to the experience of someone telling a story thats meant to be funny and interesting but when they get to the punchline it just kind of falls flat on its face. A film like this, being a reboot and all, needs to have a very strong story. People love the original and straight out of the blocks you're fighting with that. But there was no plot really. The original Ghostbusters had a great story that was strong, it had Bill Murray at the height of his powers, it was genuinely funny and also genuinely scary at times. It was tight. But this.......its just another nail in the coffin of reboots.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/ghostbusters-is-denied-a-release-in-china-071334879.html

Confirmed it wont be shown in China. Big blow to Sony's profit margin id reckon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,309 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

As somebody that hated Bridesmaids (actually not sure if I even finished it) but thought The Heat was a pretty decent light film (I have a major soft spot for sandra bullock), where do you think this fits between the two?

Utterly sick of the bolded stuff in light hearted films these days

The Heat was on channel 4 last night, I watched the first half hour. Bullock was being herself , but I found Melissa's character cringy and would be barely plausible in a Police Academy movie

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/ghostbusters-is-denied-a-release-in-china-071334879.html

Confirmed it wont be shown in China. Big blow to Sony's profit margin id reckon!

Another Chinese movie business source told the Reporter: “It’s been confirmed that Ghostbusters won’t be coming to China, because they think it’s not really that attractive to Chinese audiences.

“Most of the Chinese audience didn’t see the first and second movies, so they don’t think there’s much market for it here.”

That sounds more bang on the money than the Chinese not being able to say "I ain't 'fraid o' no ghost."

Either way, they have a very strange approach to some films with supernatural beings in them, with others getting a free ride. :confused: Appears wildly random.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

silverharp wrote: »
    The Heat was on channel 4 last night, I watched the first half hour. Bullock was being herself , but I found Melissa's character cringy and would be barely plausible in a Police Academy movie

McCarthy is a one trick pony when it comes to comedy, she's the female Will Ferrell, shout as many random things as you can and let the editor try to stitch it all together after. That style of comedy does my head in and it was what sent my alarm bells ringing when the casting was announced for Ghostbusters. 3 SNL actresses and McCarthy made it obvious there would be improv.

That said Spy is quite good but it's the other characters around McCarthy that make it.

McCarthy is a one trick pony when it comes to comedy, she's the female Will Ferrell, shout as many random things as you can and let the editor try to stitch it all together after. That style of comedy does my head in and it was what sent my alarm bells ringing when the casting was announced for Ghostbusters. 3 SNL actresses and McCarthy made it obvious there would be improv.

That said Spy is quite good but it's the other characters around McCarthy that make it.

I wouldn't compare her to Will Ferrell, but she is a one trick pony and I personally find her utterly unfunny. SPY was only good because of Jason Statham's character and apart from that, I can't think of another McCarthy movie I've enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Wash your mouth out.

She's no Will Ferrell.

I don't find her remotely funny.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I thought McCarthy was very good in Spy but she wasn't funny and wasn't really the main source of comedy in the film. She's at her best when she plays it straight imo. The laughs in Spy come from the supporting characters and the situations but McCarthy was the glue that held it all together.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And it's a good McCarthy plays it (mostly) straight here :)

Obviously she gets a few gags here and there - especially the 'possession sequence' - but for the most part she's the closest thing the film has to a comic foil. Wiig's Erin, who it's easy to naturally presume should take that role as the obstensible 'protagonist' of the film, is a much more obviously quirky and often wacky character. Jones certainly comes closer to fulfilling the Melissa McCarthy 'type', but I'd still suggest that, with only a handful of examples, every incidence of loud, shouty humour that can be attributed to her is in the trailers. For the most part, Patty is a reasonably - reasonably in the context of such an actively silly film - grounded, sensible and often thoughtful character compared to the larger-than-life, constantly attention grabbing presence she's made out to be in marketing material.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

I genuinely cant understand how people find Melissa McCarthy funny. She plays the same loud unfunny character in every film?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

mdwexford wrote: »
    Wash your mouth out.

She's no Will Ferrell.

I don't find her remotely funny.

That's my point though. He's not funny either. See one Will Ferrell vehicle you've seen them all.

• Advertisement

I genuinely cant understand how people find Melissa McCarthy funny. She plays the same loud unfunny character in every film?

She doesn't really though. Her character in Bridesmaids was worlds apart from her character in SPY for example. The only thing in common was that neither of the characters are funny, to me at least.

Advertisement