Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GhostBusters 2016 **SPOILERS FROM POST 1751 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

No. Just no. She needs to shout about this. Everybody with an interest in creating a healthy Internet needs to shout about this. They need to shout directly at Twitter to force them to shut down these vile jackasses and do everything in their power to try and stop it happening to more people. Every piece of evidence that this kind of horrific bull**** is still ongoing needs to be flagged and countered with genuine urgency. That a prominent comedian can be bullied off a popular social media platform is in no way, shape or form acceptable. Nor should anybody on the receiving end of such ugliness have to simply put up with it or shut up about it.

This isn't low level trolling, or mere personal abuse, and it sure as hell isnt a simple difference of opinion over a comedy film - this is despicable, organised hate speech (and it's particularly deplorable to see a few high-profile ringleaders sitting by and encouraging it), and needs to be condemned in the strongest possible way. Even if the people responsible - and I have to retain some hope they're a reasonably small group of people all-in-all - were just in it for 'the lulz', that's probably even more frightening. Leslie Jones was brave enough to actually show what is happening to her, and deserves only praise and support for doing so. The 'trolls' need to be mocked and disdained, but mostly they need to be silenced - and sadly drawing attention to them is pretty much a necessity to ensure those who can shut them up will listen. This isn't a free speech issue, incidentally - it's a basic common decency issue.

Twitter is a terrible platform. I'm amazed that so many celebrities put themselves out there as it's pretty much non-stop 24/7 abuse for some of them.

It's good that she is pointing it out but it's been this way for a few years and it's not getting any better.

The best you can hope for is that Twitter becomes so unpopular that hardly anyone uses it or it gets replaced by a similar service that is kept user friendly by extensive moderation.

I wonder if most of their problems would be solved by charging people a one time fee to use the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Wow, poor Leslie Jones took some horrific abuse last night and now is off Twitter. Hopefully she will rise above it and not put her off appearing in a sequel if the opportunity arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Yeah, pure scum. Hopefully some of them are stupid enough that they can be tracked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Yeah, pure scum. Hopefully some of them are stupid enough that they can be tracked down.

Unfortunately they don't really seem to care when they get tracked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

If one takes a trip down memory lane...
    OutlawPete wrote: »
    Looks like this could be out 2012.
    He says in another interview that Lee Eisenberg & Gene Stupnitsky (writers of the American version of The Office) wrote the script and they created the "comic role of a lifetime" for Bill Murray.
    iguana wrote: »
    It's been confirmed by Sigourney Weaver today on Channel 4. It's set in present day and her character's son Oscar will feature.

She also suggested that Venkman
    will be a ghost.
    Ghostbusters 3: a bunch of old geezers running around in jump suits zapping spooks!!:eek:

Certain movie characters just dont age well, i fear this may be the case with GB3.
    Venom wrote: »
    Weren't there rumours going around earlier in the year that GB3 would be all CGI to avoid ageing actors?
    From what I read the story is supposed to be about the Ghostbusters retiring and passing the torch to a younger bunch of Ghostbusters.....largely because of the age issue.
    OutlawPete wrote: »
    Looks like this could be out 2012.

He says in another interview that Lee Eisenberg & Gene Stupnitsky (writers of the American version of The Office) wrote the script and they created the "comic role of a lifetime" for Bill Murray.
    iguana wrote: »
    It's been confirmed by Sigourney Weaver today on Channel 4. It's set in present day and her character's son Oscar will feature.

She also suggested that Venkman
    will be a ghost.
    Ghostbusters 3: a bunch of old geezers running around in jump suits zapping spooks!!:eek:
    Not sure if i like the current trend of reviving 1980's/early 90's movies, seems a little money mad to me.
    Indiana J, rambo, rocky, universal soldier etc.
    Certain movie characters just dont age well, i fear this may be the case with GB3.
    Venom wrote: »
    Weren't there rumours going around earlier in the year that GB3 would be all CGI to avoid ageing actors?

Also the last Rambo movie was one of the best in the series imho.
    From what I read the story is supposed to be about the Ghostbusters retiring and passing the torch to a younger bunch of Ghostbusters.....largely because of the age issue.
    But I understand Dan Akroyd has been gagging to get a third one out since the second so maybe it won't be too bad.
    bnt wrote: »
    Good News, Everyone! Bill's now saying "well, it's a possibility".
    Loughc wrote: »
    According to Digital Spy today, Ghostbusters 3 is to shoot in Summer 2013 with a 2014 release date to coincide with the first film's 30th anniversary.
    Corholio wrote: »
    Started new thread cos the other ones were years old, says a lot about the process it's been through really.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/08/02/paul-feig-eyed-to-direct-female-centric-ghostbusters-reboot

So Paul Feig (Bridesmaids) will probably be directing a Ghostbuster film........with a female cast. In a way it's sad the way the film has developed into this. It's gone from Bill Murray possibly signing back on to maybe Melissa McCarthy being a Ghostbuster.

Shudder.

Don't know about anyone else, but this does very little for me. It seems just an excuse to make a Ghostbuster film without doing it properly and without trying to retain some sort of continuity.
    At this stage, I think we're being trolled by Bill Murray.
    CPSW wrote: »
    This is terrible news. Another piece of my childhood ruined!!

As someone mentioned above it will be nothing but a cheap low brow comedy with gross out moments, more than likely involving Melissa McCarthy (who is about as funny as a fart in space suit).

Hopefully the original cast stay away from this garbage.

I wonder how long it will take for Hollywood to s*it on the likes of Back to the Future, with someone like Zach Effron as Marty McFly.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

ps3lover wrote: »
    Sony deleting every comment on YouTube that contained constructive criticism or criticism that came from a female, while leaving all the sexist / racist comments didn't really help. It's clear they where trying to make it look like sexism / racism was the only reason people where hating on it.

Yep, agree with that. That was a really dumb move on their part. Although obviously a move to try and frame the situation as "It's just sexists that hate our film...you don't want to hate our film do you? Sexist?"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Leslie Jones first responded (at least on her Twitter account) to the abuse at 12:12pm EDT yesterday (5:12pm BST). Guess which self-styled "professional troll" kicked it off?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep, the very same troll-in-chief I referenced earlier. Removing him would single-handedly make Twitter a somewhat better place, once his minions get over their initial hissy fit of course :)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

I have just found out who he is.
    seems about as useful as a marzipan dildo.

on a more realistic note - Ive been 'internetting' since about 1995. I know well enough 21 years later that its full of dipsh*ts. I know better. I know the noise and the trolling and the crap so I care not about it.
    But then a celebrity like say Ricky Gervais comes on, someone thats pretty new to the net and they start losing it because its full of ar$eholes. I think a lot of the problem with Jones and all this new age outrage at cyberbullying is part of the problem - it always gets a reaction and everyone always comes out, like on this thread, going "look what a bunch of scum". I didnt know who that "troll in chief" was until I saw him in this thread. People have to stop giving them time. Stop posting about them, linking them, being outraged at them. In other words - stop feeding them. There is nothing you can do about a couple of million dipsh*ts and being outraged doesn't help the victims, it helps the retards doing it.

and yes - im aware I just posted about them earlier in reference to the critic. I was wrong to do so and should have thought about it.
    Heck one time I 'disagreed' with famous online games guy "TotalBiscuit" and my account got flooded by his baying little turd fanboys saying all kinds of sh*t. You know what pissed them off? Ignoring it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Got to see the movie, and honestly my expectations were low. I had said this earlier:
    Links234 wrote: »
    I'm not hugely enthusiastic about this at all. I'm not sure we needed a new Ghostbusters, the only Paul Feig movie I've seen previously was Bridesmaids and I liked that, but it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence about the movie, and after watching the trailers, seeing how much of a horrible stereotype Leslie Jones' character is a pretty big downside. So yes, there is legitimate, honest criticism and a lot of people who dislike the prospects of the movie for valid reasons.

The trailers really did not look very good at all, and usually I'm very suspicious of remakes in general, seen way too many terrible ones and usually just avoid them, Robocop was the last one I made that mistake with and I really thought that I wasted my time. But holy crap was I surprised, it was way better than I expected, loved every minute of it! Oh, and that
    dance scene during the credits? GLORIOUS!
    The biggest issue with it was trailers seriously let it down, but on the other hand It was a bonus that they didn't spoil the best parts.

I was seriously grinning ear to ear after that. Brilliant! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/19/12232738/twitter-bans-milo-yiannopoulos?utm_campaign=theverge&utm_content=article&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Milo Yiannopoulos permanently banned from Twitter after the Leslie Jones hate mob had their horrid fun. Good to see Twitter actually listening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Saw that on Facebook this morning. I'm surprised by the amount of support for Milo (and how much abuse Twitter is getting for doing this). Free speech, first amendment etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if this were Twitter's version of "The Fattening".

Mr E wrote: »
    Saw that on Facebook this morning. I'm surprised by the amount of support for Milo (and how much abuse Twitter is getting for doing this). Free speech, first amendment etc.

Ah I'm not surprised he's getting support, 'free speech' is always used as an argument against these sort of actions as if people don't have to face any consequences for the stupid, nasty things they say and do. Many will try to spin a narrative of right-wing opinion being censored - and, even if I don't agree with them, they do have a right to express themselves as much as I do - but really it's an issue of a troll, mob leader and harassment encourager being shut down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

This never stops being relevant.

When I first heard the news, I couldn't help but think of this:

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

If you believe free speech will protect you, you should go onto an Airplane and start screaming "BOMB!" And see how free speech will protect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Delighted that clown is banned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Links234 wrote: »
    This never stops being relevant.

It should be the first thing you see when you log onto the internet really..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

TBH I would be in support of Leslie, were it not for the fact that she's been pulling the same nonsense herself.

https://twitter.com/lesdoggg/status/564664734268411906

Lol, if you dish it out, don't complain when you can't take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

TBH I would be in support of Leslie, were it not for the fact that she's been pulling the same nonsense herself.

That tweet is nowhere near the same. The abuse she got was disgusting, and organised.

Her remark meant nothing at all, to anybody. Her "white people ****" is pretty much "first world problems".

Your man Milo is a complete and utter scumbag

Btw, could someone do me a favor here? I've been on the journal there and I can't find the tweet that milo sent. Work server and all of that.

http://www.thejournal.ie/milo-yiannopoulos-banned-twitter-2886202-Jul2016/

Cheers.

Dodge wrote: »
    That tweet is nowhere near the same. The abuse she got was disgusting, and organised.

Her remark meant nothing at all, to anybody. Her "white people ****" is pretty much "first world problems".

Your man Milo is a complete and utter scumbag

bit of a racist way to say first world problems, but yeah, could interpret it like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Very, very far from 'dishing it out'.

There can't be a serious equivalence drawn between a single offhand brain-fart and the organised, vindictive & persistent attacks she received. Even if you were to stand by any equivalence, the racism on display is so disproportionate it strains credulity that she somehow brought it upon herself because of, as Dodge puts it, a fairly blunt rephrasing of 'first world problems'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The weird thing is the amount of times you hear the likes of Milo bemoaning the professional victimhood of SJWs but they somehow never see the irony when the play the victim card themselves.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Very, very far from 'dishing it out'.

There can't be a serious equivalence drawn between a single offhand brain-fart and the organised, vindictive & persistent attacks she received. Even if you were to stand by any equivalence, the racism on display is so disproportionate it strains credulity that she somehow brought it upon herself because of, as Dodge puts it, a fairly blunt rephrasing of 'first world problems'.

As a progressive I find this tweet offensive because it is racist towards white people. I suppose I am just easily offended. Ah well.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ya'll don't know what it's like, being male, middle class and white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Mickeroo wrote: »

I can feel that someone's blasting me with hate and bass
    Sendin' dirty vibes my way
    Cause my great great great great Grandad
    Made someone's great great great great Grandaddies slaves

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Mickeroo wrote: »

As ever, Louis CK has it right

• Advertisement

As a progressive I find this tweet offensive because it is racist towards white people. I suppose I am just easily offended. Ah well.

Be offended all you like, but if you're making insinuations that the attacks on Leslie Jones are equal or at least equivalent to her single questionably-racist tweet, then there's a serious problem of perspective there. And bringing up the offhand comment by Jones just serves to not only belittle her experience, but to redirect the discussion onto the victim, as if it's their fault for all the attacks and brutality visited upon them.

And honestly, while racism should never be a one way street, speaking as a white, heterosexual male? I think I can cope with other ethnicities - especially those living in America where the race divide is arguably far more pronounced than in Europe - effectively saying 'you have no idea how good you have it'.

Advertisement