Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GhostBusters 2016 **SPOILERS FROM POST 1751 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

FFS it's called a joke. His skin colour isn't the issue, she could easily have said Drake is the reason I hate 25-30 year olds. The point is she doesn't like Drake.

If you're offended by that tweet you should probably stay away from the internet, maybe society in general.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    FFS it's called a joke. His skin colour isn't the issue, she could easily have said Drake is the reason I hate 25-30 year olds. The point is she doesn't like Drake.

If you're offended by that tweet you should probably stay away from the internet, maybe society in general.

But maybe all the guys who sent all those pictures of monkeys were joking too?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Yeah, a guy whose Twitter profile is named "KKK Cool J" is "only joking". :rolleyes:

Excuses, excuses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

People trying to get back at the 'perpetually offended' by combing through their twitter accounts to find something to be offended by is unbelievably petty. Nobody gave two shíts about those tweets at the time but suddenly people are replying to them to call out her racism presumably in an attempt to get her banned as well. Moronic in the extreme and shooting themselves in the foot in terms of pretending to care about 'freedom of speech'. There's no way what she said in those tweets is comparable to the campaign of derision and intimidation she's faced over the last couple of days.

Gobshíttery like this is why I've never bothered my hole with Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Except there's nothing funny about comparing someone to a monkey because of the colour of their skin - and I can't believe that that's what this thread has come to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You're embarrassing yourself here.

You can play straw man and pick out every time she mentions white or black but there is simply NO comparison to her jokes (or anyone's) and a concerted campaign of racist and misogynistic hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

To be fair, those tweets are from years ago and they seem to be out of context too.

The details of this shambles are not clear but as far as I can tell Milo either created or spread fake tweets that Leslie Jones never actually posted.

If that's the case then a permanent ban is fair enough.

He's been pushing it for a long, long, time and I think the ban was an inevitability. At some point "they" were going to get rid of Milo.

It's mad that all this stuff is kicking off over a goddamn movie!

Ok, I understand. You can interpret someone who says I hate white people as funny.

I just want to be a good progressive.

• Advertisement

Ok, I understand. You can interpret someone who says I hate white people as funny.

Without knowing the context of those tweets it's hard to judge them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

orubiru wrote: »
    To be fair, those tweets are from years ago and they seem to be out of context too.

The details of this shambles are not clear but as far as I can tell Milo either created or spread fake tweets that Leslie Jones never actually posted.

If that's the case then a permanent ban is fair enough.

He's been pushing it for a long, long, time and I think the ban was an inevitability. At some point "they" were going to get rid of Milo.

It's mad that all this stuff is kicking off over a goddamn movie!

What was the fake tweet that he spread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I saw one made up that had her calling him an Uncle Tom fag and that all fagg*ts should be shot or something along those lines. Not sure if he'd shared that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

How about being a decent person? Try that for a while

Honestly, I can't remember exactly. Something about "gassing fags" or similar.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/19/ghostbusters-leslie-jones-attributed-to-fake-tweets-as-she-suffers-racist-abuse-6015574/

I'm not saying that he did or did not spread or create the fake tweets. I don't know.

IF he did though then a permanent ban seems fair enough.

So...

What's the movie like?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Who's being progressive? What about just maintaining reasonable sense of proportion?

Leslie Jones' tweets, apart from being completely out of context like 99% of quoted Tweets ever, are at worst an example of non-PC humour. The kind that has existed since the days of Richard Pryor & in context seems more like an example of a minority using humour as a means to vent frustration towards their lopsided society. And in light of recent events over there, entirely understandable.

There's the context of her comments; what is the context of the organised witch-hunt? Attacks that, were they done in reality(TM), would have resulted in criminal proceedings? Attacks not made in a generalised sense either, but aimed directly towards her, for the purpose of hurt & abuse her because - JESUS CHRIST - she starred in a remake of a film.

Crying equivalence is a tepid, weak argument, an attempt to belittle the victim.

God, I remember when this thread was just about the endless cycle of rumours from Dan Ackroyd about a possible Ghostbusters 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

The weird thing is the amount of times you hear the likes of Milo bemoaning the professional victimhood of SJWs but they somehow never see the irony when the play the victim card themselves.

You want irony, see how conservatives constantly demand that businesses should be free to refuse service based on their beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

So...

What's the movie like?

Brilliant! Far better than I expected.

And I just gotta say, Holtzman? What a character! She was something else. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Keep it civil everybody please.

Pumpkin4Life, your attempts at trolling and faux outrage are apparent to all. Please cut it out.

• Advertisement

So...

What's the movie like?

It's pretty boring.

Essentially a step by step remake of the original movie using modern movie making techniques.

I'd compare it to the Robocop or Total Recall remakes. Except add in a bit of "it's your political duty to support this movie" pressure.

I had hoped that it would have had a modern feminist agenda or some over the top "man hating" stuff but it doesn't even have that. It's just "meh".

(so all the over the top attacking and defending of the film has been a big laughable waste of effort)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

orubiru wrote: »
    Essentially a step by step remake of the original movie using modern movie making techniques.

Step by step? Definitely not. The story is completely different (and yes, the original had a better story).

Still an enjoyable movie though.

Mod note: Keep it civil everybody please.

Pumpkin4Life, your attempts at trolling and faux outrage are apparent to all. Please cut it out.

Cool.

Mr E wrote: »
    Step by step? Definitely not. The story is completely different (and yes, the original had a better story).

Still an enjoyable movie though.

OK maybe not "step by step" EXACTLY but it has essentially the same structure. It's another A New Hope/The Force Awakens or Wrath of Kahn/Into Darkness type thing.

I'm sure teen audiences will love it and that's probably the demographic for this kind of movie anyway (considering the amount of folks in their 30s and 40s who have a crazy fondness for the original).

I guess we'll see more of these "Nerd Fandom" conflicts as time goes on. I kinda feel sorry for old nerds who, realising that their friends have all grown up and moved on, need to pander to the younger crowd to try and fit in or remain relevant.

I feel even more sorry for old nerds who can't let go and can't accept that their time of excited high school chattering about trashy blockbuster movies has come and gone. Seeing them lash out against that is kind of depressing.

Fandom needs to grow up.

Can't wait for the sequel. :D

So...

What's the movie like?

Watchable, nothing better to do, slightly ****e throwaway movie with a handful of good jokes and performances, a boring middle section and CGI effects so godawful you wonder why it cost 155 million to make.

Give it a go, it isnt a catastrophe and there's worse stuff out there.

I'm going to check it out some boring evening, but from what I've gathered- it's not as good as it should be and nowhere near as bad as people were saying it might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bilirubin

Sorry i couldn't attached a screenshot, I don't have the option in my post.
    Maybe someone else can check to confirm to prove it's not just me seeing this.

If you go to "entertainment dot ie"
    Go to "Most Viewed" on the right hand side and click "Reviews"

No.1 Ghostbusters - 13,041 views - 3 comments (only 2 are displayed!!)
    No.2 Central Intelligence - 28,521 views
    No.3 The BFG - 2,214 views
    No.4 The Secret Life Of Pets - 32,109 views - 3 comments
    No.5 Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie - 15,878 views

Now I'm no maths genius BUT how is Ghostbusters the most viewed review when clearly Central Intelligence has more 28,521 views.

Has entertainment dot ie sold out to Sony to help push this movie?

Spot on, boney. A perfect description.

bilirubin wrote: »
    Now I'm no maths genius BUT how is Ghostbusters the most viewed review when clearly Central Intelligence has more 28,521 views.

Nah, it is probably weighted over a fixed time scale (otherwise something like The Godfather would probably still be top!)

Note that the top 5 are all recent (the last month or so).

• Advertisement

bilirubin wrote: »
    Sorry i couldn't attached a screenshot, I don't have the option in my post.
    Maybe someone else can check to confirm to prove it's not just me seeing this.

If you go to "entertainment dot ie"
    Go to "Most Viewed" on the right hand side and click "Reviews"

No.1 Ghostbusters - 13,041 views - 3 comments (only 2 are displayed!!)
    No.2 Central Intelligence - 28,521 views
    No.3 The BFG - 2,214 views
    No.4 The Secret Life Of Pets - 32,109 views - 3 comments
    No.5 Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie - 15,878 views

Are people really that desperate to find something to attack the film that they are going out of their way to find things to add to the conspiracy in their heads? It's obvious that when they mean most viewed they mean over a certain time period, most sites do something similar in which the most viewed article of the day or week is listed and not the most viewed of all time.

Advertisement