Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GhostBusters 2016 **SPOILERS FROM POST 1751 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

e_e wrote: »

Wow, it looks like that woman dubbed "Trigglypuff" by Trump fanboys has an anti-particle. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Average film. If it were anything other than a 'ghostbusters' film it would be rather forgettable. Started off quite well I thought with the very first scene, lost some momentum half way through then kind off died off towards the end. The big battle at the end was a massive let down. Was left thinking"is that it?". There was no need to shoe-horn Bill Murray in as well, thought the other few cameo's worked well for the 30 seconds they were on screen and maybe they could have done the same for him. Best gags revolve around Kevin and Hemsworth plays the comic quite well. There's a lot of hot air/controversy over this film and to be honest it isnt worth people wasting their breath. Would give it a 6/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Sony are the worst, I just realized that it was Sony that also gave us the Robocop reboot, that last Spiderman reboot and had a hand in the Total Recall reboot. Now they intend to drop a further duce on my childhood with a Labyrinth reboot. I don't think I've seen a company with a worse track record for ploughing iconic properties and characters into the dirt through sheer incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

But they're also behind the 21 Jump Street reboot and this alone makes up for all the failed attempts you've listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

At the end of the day, if it makes the $£€

• Advertisement

It's made $61m (domestic) & $18m internationally on a $144m budget. So $79m globally. I can't see it making its budget back. Looks like 1) the attacks against their own potential fanbase and 2) it not being shown in China are really damaging it.

Wouldn't be surprised if we don't get a Ghostbusters 2 on the back of this.

The biggest signal is that it opened at #2 in the US box office on the opening weekend.

Edit:

Source: Boxofficemojo

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Average film. If it were anything other than a 'ghostbusters' film it would be rather forgettable. Started off quite well I thought with the very first scene, lost some momentum half way through then kind off died off towards the end. The big battle at the end was a massive let down. Was left thinking"is that it?". There was no need to shoe-horn Bill Murray in as well, thought the other few cameo's worked well for the 30 seconds they were on screen and maybe they could have done the same for him. Best gags revolve around Kevin and Hemsworth plays the comic quite well. There's a lot of hot air/controversy over this film and to be honest it isnt worth people wasting their breath. Would give it a 6/10.

Ya know, it's funny and this isn't a dig at you Nerdlingr, but I keep seeing people writing reviews which pan the film for the most part and then give a score like 6/10.

Which to my mind, at least, is a good score?

Bizarre.

conorhal wrote: »
    Sony are the worst, I just realized that it was Sony that also gave us the Robocop reboot, that last Spiderman reboot and had a hand in the Total Recall reboot. Now they intend to drop a further duce on my childhood with a Labyrinth reboot. I don't think I've seen a company with a worse track record for ploughing iconic properties and characters into the dirt through sheer incompetence.

They're desperately looking for a franchise to milk.

Kind of sad actually.

You'd wonder how many good, original, scripts are getting binned because of this sub par muck they keep trying to put down peoples throats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 1878_

I'm happy this bombed. Not, simply because it's a remake of the fabled 'Ghostbusters', but because it just seemed like a lazy effort at it.

It look absolutely appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

S.M.B. wrote: »
    But they're also behind the 21 Jump Street reboot and this alone makes up for all the failed attempts you've listed.

They're going to **** that up by combining it with MiB.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's made $61m (domestic) & $18m internationally on a $144m budget. So $79m globally. I can't see it making its budget back. Looks like 1) the attacks against their own potential fanbase and 2) it not being shown in China are really damaging it.

The biggest signal is that it opened at #2 in the US box office on the opening weekend.

Edit:

Conversely, it seems like the toy merchandise has been selling well & exceeding expectations, according to Mattel anyway, and selling well with both boys and girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Did the original 2 films get released in China?

Or were they not allowed either with their superstitions?

Fieldog wrote: »
    Did the original 2 films get released in China?

Or were they not allowed either with their superstitions?

Back then I don't think the international market matter whatsoever. It's only been this side of the 2010s that it's become a powerhouse, with Iron Man 3 having scenes exclusively made for the Chinese market, with many other movies, essentially pandering to that market. Also it's the reason that Terminator Genysis became a success in the end - it bombed in the Western World, but found a market in China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The 2014 Robocop is too good a film to be lumped in with Spiderman and Total Recall, both of which were just flat out poor.

Robocop was surprisingly solid and as much as I wanted to hate it, I have to admit it was totally competent and they managed to convey a fairly dark tone for a PG-13 film.

Nowhere near as violent as the original which disappointed many but equally no-where near as soulless and lazy as the majority of reboots.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Edit:

so an official loss maker to flop however thats defined. Will Sony try to divert blame because of mysoggyknees?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    so an official loss maker to flop however thats defined. Will Sony try to divert blame because of mysoggyknees?
    This weekends numbers will be a better indication of how successful or unsuccessful it's going to be. It's opening weekend was in line with predictions so we'll see if it has the legs that Sony hopes for. It had the second biggest opening weekend for a live action non super hero movie released this year.

The 2014 Robocop is too good a film to be lumped in with Spiderman and Total Recall, both of which were just flat out poor.

Robocop was surprisingly solid and as much as I wanted to hate it, I have to admit it was totally competent and they managed to convey a fairly dark tone for a PG-13 film.

Nowhere near as violent as the original which disappointed many but equally no-where near as soulless and lazy as the majority of reboots.

The problem with 'Robocop' is that it completely missed the point of the original. Without the scathing satire and OTT violence, 'Robocop' would be just stupid.

The PG-13 'Robocop' was a bland, forgettable and ultimately pointless cash in on a popular name, just like nu-ghostbusters. It pretty much imagination free, has no bite and fails to be anything but a riff on something that a lot of people love from the past.

It didn't add anything, progress the story or even place a new angle into the mix worth talking about. It's competently made, but like most reboots, the viewer is left wondering what the point was, other than money.

Of course, there wasn't one.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

nah, it were sh1te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Robocop 2014 is one of the worst remakes I've ever seen, it completely misses what made the original work in the first place, and was just one of the most shallow, dull, by the numbers sci-fi action movie. It's certainly not the lack of violence either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

This weekends numbers will be a better indication of how successful or unsuccessful it's going to be. It's opening weekend was in line with predictions so we'll see if it has the legs that Sony hopes for. It had the second biggest opening weekend for a live action non super hero movie released this year.

it will be interesting to track it to Independence Day as they cost about the same to make but ID seems to have been saved on international sales. the foreign sales seem to be a lot lower for this movie

Independence Day:
    Resurgence

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=id42.htm
    Domestic: $100,324,325 29.2%
    Foreign: $243,106,589 70.8%

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It had the second biggest opening weekend for a live action non super hero movie released this year.

One could suggest that when the many actually bold, interesting and unique films come out - and they do, on a near weekly basis - most people either won't or can't go to see them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

silverharp wrote: »
    it will be interesting to track it to Independence Day as they cost about the same to make but ID seems to have been saved on international sales. the foreign sales seem to be a lot lower for this movie

Independence Day:
    Resurgence

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=id42.htm

"ID4 2" hasn't been saved though, the fall off around the world is as pronounced as in the States. Like many expensive fantasy films in the last 18 months it'll be in about 80m/90m worth of red link, though who knows maybe "Hollywood accounting" might make it turn a profit yet! ;)

"ID4 2" hasn't been saved though, the fall off around the world is as pronounced as in the States. Like many expensive fantasy films in the last 18 months it'll be in about 80m/90m worth of red link, though who knows maybe "Hollywood accounting" might make it turn a profit yet! ;)

Ghostbusters however was banned in China, which is a serious blow to it's box office prospects.
    The reality is that 75% of the total gross a blockbuster takes is now 'worldwide box office'. China and Russia are major markets for the studios. One youtube reviewer I saw was scathing about the effect that this is having on film making.
    She was saying that if you're wondering why in the world your getting another Ice Age movie, it's because, even if the box office is soft domestically, it's huge in Russia. ID4 2 was in many ways not made for an American audience, it was designed with a Chinese audience in mind and prominently features the Chinese in the action.
    This is having a distorting effect on the movies Hollywood green-lights because they need to be generic enough to translate. Explosions, good, heavy dialogue, regional humour and twisty plots, bad.
    Ghostbusters was a victim of this trend. The dry New York humour and sarcasm had to be jettisoned in favour of queef jokes and broad slapstick that translates well, everybody in the world gets a fart joke and laughs at a cock punch. The net result is a broadly bland output from Studios focused on markets that provide the vast majority of their revenue now, but aren't perhaps particularly sophisticated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Christy42

Ghostbusters however was banned in China, which is a serious blow to it's box office prospects.
    The reality is that 75% of the total gross a blockbuster takes is now 'worldwide box office'. China and Russia are major markets for the studios. One youtube reviewer I saw was scathing about the effect that this is having on film making.
    She was saying that if you're wondering why in the world your getting another Ice Age movie, it's because, even if the box office is soft domestically, it's huge in Russia. ID4 2 was in many ways not made for an American audience, it was designed with a Chinese audience in mind and prominently features the Chinese in the action.
    This is having a distorting effect on the movies Hollywood green-lights because they need to be generic enough to translate. Explosions, good, heavy dialogue, regional humour and twisty plots, bad.
    Ghostbusters was a victim of this trend. The dry New York humour and sarcasm had to be jettisoned in favour of queef jokes and broad slapstick that translates well, everybody in the world gets a fart joke and laughs at a cock punch. The net result is a broadly bland output from Studios focused on markets that provide the vast majority of their revenue now, but aren't perhaps particularly sophisticated.

I don't get this Chinese issue with ID4 2. There were 2 Chinese characters in the movie. One was the quitest member of the main team as it were and the other barely featured. Hardly at the forefront especially for a movie that made a big deal of global cooperation (and then had nearly all Americans saving the day again). Unless there is a Chinese cut will them much more heavily featured I don't see it.

Christy42 wrote: »
    I don't get this Chinese issue with ID4 2. There were 2 Chinese characters in the movie. One was the quitest member of the main team as it were and the other barely featured. Hardly at the forefront especially for a movie that made a big deal of global cooperation (and then had nearly all Americans saving the day again). Unless there is a Chinese cut will them much more heavily featured I don't see it.

The issue isn't including token Chinese characters for the Chinese market, I don't know where you got that impression. The issue is that the growing dependence on foreign markets for studio profits means that no movie can be an any way culturally impenetrable. Everything must be written in very broad strokes so that it translates well and everybody 'gets it', especially audiences less sophisticated then Western audiences. Comedies for example tend to fare especially poorly internationally simply because humour doesn't always translate well. In terms of Ghostbusters, the original, dripping in dry New York humour and sarcasm had to be replaced with fart and dick jokes in the new version and you can't explain a plot point or make a joke involving a Twinkie because nobody in China knows what the hell that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Christy42

The issue isn't including token Chinese characters for the Chinese market, I don't know where you got that impression. The issue is that the growing dependence on foreign markets for studio profits means that no movie can be an any way culturally impenetrable. Everything must be written in very broad strokes so that it translates well and everybody 'gets it', especially audiences less sophisticated then Western audiences. Comedies for example tend to fare especially poorly internationally simply because humour doesn't always translate well. In terms of Ghostbusters, the original, dripping in dry New York humour and sarcasm had to be replaced with fart and dick jokes in the new version and you can't explain a plot point or make a joke involving a Twinkie because nobody in China knows what the hell that is.

You said it prominently features the Chinese in the action. I did just pick on a single part of your statement but is because it is something I have seen mentioned before elsewhere and confuses me and I agree with the rest of what you said.

Christy42 wrote: »
    You said it prominently features the Chinese in the action. I did just pick on a single part of your statement but is because it is something I have seen mentioned before elsewhere and confuses me and I agree with the rest of what you said.

I noted that, not to suggest casting Chinese characters was problematic, but as an indicator of where the studio's primary focus lay, Chinese money and how that has implications for how films are produced going forward.

While there's some truth to the internationalisation of the American blockbuster I think it's a little unfair to beat the ghost busters reboot with that stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

have to admit.

one of the things that surprised me is the prominant involvement of chinese money in the latest star trek movie. alibaba and sommat else got a big on screen credit before the film starts.

didnt seem to do anything for the story though there.

• Advertisement

Yeah, 2 Chinese production companies invested in it, one owned by alibaba.

Ghostbusters hasn't had the greatest of second weekends so things aren't looking great on that front.

Advertisement