Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GhostBusters 2016 **SPOILERS FROM POST 1751 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

IMDB ratings are absolutely useless to be honest. I find Rotten Tomatoes generally closer to my own rating of a film.

Grayditch wrote: »
    IMDB ratings are absolutely useless to be honest. I find Rotten Tomatoes generally closer to my own rating of a film.

What I find interesting right now is the difference in scores between Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic, both of which work on the same basis - an average of aggregated critical reviews.

MT has it at 60%
    , while RT has it at 73% and "certified fresh"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

What I find interesting right now is the difference in scores between Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic, both of which work on the same basis - an average of aggregated critical reviews.

MT has it at 60%

I usually click on "top critics" on RT to see if there is a difference in rating, usually find it give a more accurate reading based on my own opinion.

The top critics review of this is more in line with Meta, I'm not sure how a certified fresh is given :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Grayditch wrote: »

In this particular case at least the IMDB rating is meaningless because it is swamped with people giving 1 or 10 for reasons nothing to do with the film itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

MT has it at 60%
    Those 2 figures aren't measuring the same thing.

MC is saying that the aggregate score for Ghostbusters is 60% or 3/5.

RT is saying that 73% of critics have given the movie a favourable review.

On RT a film gets a certified fresh label if it exceeds 75% and only looses it if it drops below 70%.

• Advertisement

psinno wrote: »
    In this particular case at least the IMDB rating is meaningless because they are swamped by people giving 1 or 10 for reasons nothing to do with the film itself.

Absolutely.

I remember that before the Wind That Shakes the Barley was released, it was pretty much brigaded by people voting it down due to the fact it was seen as an anti-English movie by an English director.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

bit off topic but does anyone know anywhere selling Ghostbusters the video game from 2009 on Xbox 360. Would love to play it again checked Gamestop and Adverts they don't have it. Also Amazon are selling it pre-owned at a massive price. Any help would be appreciated!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

MT has it at 60%

Not really that comparable when the sample size on RT is over 5 times larger than the metacritic one. 52 reviews vs 260+

Plus if every critic gave GB 6/10 it would have 100% on RT, their methods for compiling the figures are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

psinno wrote: »
    In this particular case at least the IMDB rating is meaningless because it is swamped with people giving 1 or 10 for reasons nothing to do with the film itself.

Ghostbusters was at a 2.5 or something like that a week before release, so yeah, people where clearly voting it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Not really that comparable when the sample size on RT is over 5 times larger than the metacritic one. 52 reviews vs 260+

Plus if every critic gave GB 6/10 it would have 100% on RT, their methods for compiling the figures are different.

From what I've read, when a critic submits their review to Rotten Tomates, they select either fresh or rotten. That's why some 3/5 reviews maybe fresh and some are rotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

bit off topic but does anyone know anywhere selling Ghostbusters the video game from 2009 on Xbox 360. Would love to play it again checked Gamestop and Adverts they don't have it. Also Amazon are selling it pre-owned at a massive price. Any help would be appreciated!

Cex have it for €18.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ps3lover wrote: »
    From what I've read, when a critic submits their review to Rotten Tomates, they select either fresh or rotten. That's why some 3/5 reviews maybe fresh and some are rotten.

That makes sense, there's plenty of times I've seen rotten reviews that were relatively positive and fresh reviews that seemed more negative than you'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ebay is probably your best bet.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=ghostbusters+video+game&_osacat=1249&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311.R1.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.Xghostbusters+xbox.TRS0&_nkw=ghostbusters+xbox+360&_sacat=1249

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Will give them credit for not including a dance number in the film. Leaving it till the credits was far preferable, as people could leave.

Was there a dance sequence? I didn't realize as I left as soon as they began to roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Oh, Jesus. Glad I avoided that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Will give them credit for not including a dance number in the film. Leaving it till the credits was far preferable, as people could leave.

ya have to wonder how much of that was down to the backlash. the leaked hack emails had feig mad into including that dance number from the beginning.

lots of stuff got dumped from this by the looks of things right up to the last minute before release.

thank god they dumped that "snot posession" thing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Ah come on, that dance routine was the best thing in the entire movie nearly, I adored it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

That dance routine bit confirmed to me Paul Feig had absolutely no interest in making a proper Ghostbusters film.

I was disappointed the dance routine got shunted to the end credits tbh, would have been in the spirit of the daft statue of liberty bit from Ghostbuster 2 which is one of the better moments in that film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I was disappointed the dance routine got shunted to the end credits tbh, would have been in the spirit of the daft statue of liberty bit from Ghostbuster 2 which is one of the better moments in that film.

Noooooooo!

It's suddenly occurred to me that the movie Paul Feig seems to have rebooted wasn't Ghostbusters at all, it was Ghostbusters 2, a pale cash in of a sequel that retreads the original storyline with a few minor tweaks that offer nothing new and in which everybody seems to suffer a degree of amnesia about the events that occurred in the original.

I still legitimately can't tell whether you're all pulling my leg or whether there was an actual dance routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Haha there definitely was. It was the majority of the credits IIRC, mostly Chris Hemsworth and the military extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Apparently they're putting it back in for the extended cut DVD release.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

apparently the makers of the computer game released in connection with the film has gone bankrupt. Maybe in 30 years all the copies will be found buried in a desert somewhere :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    apparently the makers of the computer game released in connection with the film has gone bankrupt. Maybe in 30 years all the copies will be found buried in a desert somewhere :pac:

Do you mean the old game or is there another one coming? AFAIR Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd, and others viewed that as being Ghostbusters 3 more than anything else.

Do you mean the old game or is there another one coming? AFAIR Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd, and others viewed that as being Ghostbusters 3 more than anything else.

There's a game that tied in with the release of this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

And by almost all accounts, it's absolutely terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

http://kotaku.com/ghostbusters-developer-fireforge-games-goes-bankrupt-1784625739

Ghostbusters Developer Fireforge Games Goes Bankrupt

Three days after releasing the new Ghostbusters game, development studio Fireforge Games filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, Kotaku has learned. The company has been liquidating assets throughout July in an attempt to pay off a debt of at least $12 million, according to bankruptcy filings.

Fireforge, not to be confused with a tabletop company with the same name, may only be known for the recent Ghostbusters game, which was received terribly when it was released alongside the movie on July 12. One possible explanation: The game was developed in just eight months, according to one person who worked on it. On July 15, the company filed for bankruptcy.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I still legitimately can't tell whether you're all pulling my leg or whether there was an actual dance routine.

Watch and puke....

Advertisement