Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GhostBusters 2016 **SPOILERS FROM POST 1751 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

psinno wrote: »
    It is interesting reading through some of the Sony leak info and wondering what might have been if they had ended up with Seth Rogen , Jay Roach , Aziz Ansari , Will Ferrell or Sacha Baron Cohen involved. Wonder if there is an interesting book out there on it.

My understanding was "Ghostbusters for men" was a separate project and is still in development.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

My understanding was "Ghostbusters for men" was a separate project and is still in development.

Shouldn't it just be Ghostbusters? Who gives a **** if it stars men or women, it shouldn't matter. Unfortunately people decided to try and make it a bigger deal than it ever should have been and soured people from seeing this version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Joe and Anthony Russo were they writers with possibily Chris Pratt and Channing Tatum but Avengers: Infinity War is taking up so much of their time, they have stated that a Ghostbusters project is firmly "off the table".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The 2016 film underperformed by quite a bit I believe, and it was meant to kickstart a whole 'shared universe' series Sony (and every other studio atm) had in the pipeline - which would have included the male version. I suspect the whole idea is being quietly shelved given Sony didn't exactly have the best of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I kinda got the impression it was killed off by the poor performance of Ghostbusters but who knows.

I was referring mostly to the email below which was before Sony introduced gender segregation (I presume anyway since it is 2013).

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/29038

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

psinno wrote: »
    I kinda got the impression it was killed off by the poor performance of Ghostbusters but who knows.

I was referring mostly to the email below which was before Sony introduced gender segregation (I presume anyway since it is 2013).

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/29038

Wasn't that back when Ivan Reitman was going to be doing the reboot ? I have seen that cast list elsewhere related to him and his plan for the movie. He then moved aside/was boxed out by Sony and Paul Feig and co changed it to a female centered reboot.

Wasn't that back when Ivan Reitman was going to be doing the reboot ? I have seen that cast list elsewhere related to him and his plan for the movie. He then moved aside/was boxed out by Sony and Paul Feig and co changed it to a female centered reboot.

I think he got pushed out approximately October 7 2014.

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/67243

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

lets just hope for everyones sanity that there is no more Ghostbusters and leave whats done as done

• Registered Users Posts: 45,838 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

watched this the other day - I liked it, and I had no interest in seeing it at all. Had a good few bits I found genuinely funny. Thought hemsworth was brilliant in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

watched this the other day - I liked it, and I had no interest in seeing it at all. Had a good few bits I found genuinely funny. Thought hemsworth was brilliant in it too.

Did you like the bit where he heard the loud noise and put his hands over his eyes?

That was hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

The film wasnt too bad some funny moments especally with hemsworth,wigg and McKinnon. didnt like leslie jones or melissa mccarthy at all in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Got round to watching it for the first time last night.

It was a film that I had really been looking forward to but failed to watch it at the cinema following the poor reviews.

To be honest, it wasn't bad. It wasn't great either, but it was fun to watch. It definitely didn't deserve the dire reviews that it got.

My one gripe though: why did they have it as a remake - surely it would have made sense to have it in the same universe as the original ghostbusters, it's not like they didn't have more than a few subtle references and cameos.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

ads20101 wrote: »
    Got round to watching it for the first time last night.

It was a film that I had really been looking forward to but failed to watch it at the cinema following the poor reviews.

To be honest, it wasn't bad. It wasn't great either, but it was fun to watch. It definitely didn't deserve the dire reviews that it got.

My one gripe though: why did they have it as a remake - surely it would have made sense to have it in the same universe as the original ghostbusters, it's not like they didn't have more than a few subtle references and cameos.
    A total remake makes it more acceptable for them to do a beat for beat copy of the story, rather than a sequel which would see them have to try to write something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Smertrius

if you ever watch the cartoon series of ghostbusters which was know as the real ghostbusters episode 1 ghost rus the ending is of this very similar to the ending to the movie of ghostbusters 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭Bebopclown

Wonder Woman showed how a movie like this should have been marketed. Just market the movie, don't push agendas, if you have a minority of people spewing sexist dribble just ignore it and dont make it the focal point of your marketing. Don't create and environment where anyone who doesn't think the movie looks good gets attacked as a sexist for their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭El Duda

I was also in the "it's not bad but it's not good either" camp...

Being completely honest, if you find yourself saying that about any film, it's a bad film.

Good news that it didn't make enough money for a sequel imo. It should be left well alone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Dan Akroyd was on Sunday Brunch and he fired a few torpedoes Paul Feig's way. Blamed him for the $30m of reshoots because he didn't listen to advice from him. Said Feig wont be on a Sony lot anytime soon

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

silverharp wrote: »
    Dan Akroyd was on Sunday Brunch and he fired a few torpedoes Paul Feig's way. Blamed him for the $30m of reshoots because he didn't listen to advice from him. Said Feig wont be on a Sony lot anytime soon

Wasn't he praising him before the movie and talking it up the whole time and called anyone sexist who didn't like it, odd he changed sides like that

Hococop wrote: »
    Wasn't he praising him before the movie and talking it up the whole time and called anyone sexist who didn't like it, odd he changed sides like that

I think he still thinks the end product was great. He is just throwing Feig (and the cost of the movie) to the wolves as the reason their aren't going to be any sequels.

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »

they are pretty much contractually obliged to , plus he had a financial stake in the movie. If he didn't do the PR at the time he'd be open to being sued is my understanding

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So according to him the movie did "decent" but cost to much to warrant a sequel. Ok, but we're talking about ghostbusters here. Why didn't the movie do amazing business?

I like Dan Aykroyd but sounds like he is passing the buck.

So according to him the movie did "decent" but cost to much to warrant a sequel. Ok, but we're talking about ghostbusters here. Why didn't the movie do amazing business?

they seemed to be off the cuff comments but either way he is probably limited in what he says or he would contradict himself from when the movie came out I'd imagine. It wasn't a Dan Akroyd movie so he didn't need to pass any buck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Because nostalgia alone doesn't sell tickets.
    they seemed to be off the cuff comments but either way he is probably limited in what he says or he would contradict himself from when the movie came out I'd imagine. It wasn't a Dan Akroyd movie so he didn't need to pass any buck

He was an executive producer; he definitely had a buck to pass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Aykroyd would have an old school attitude about reshoots but in fairness to Feig they are pretty much the norm these days.

I suspect Aykroyd's exec producer credit was just an acknowledgement of his many years of trying to get a second sequel made. He was probably hoping this would be a success and one of his ideas would be revived leading to a proper payday.

Aykroyd would have an old school attitude about reshoots but in fairness to Feig they are pretty much the norm these days.

Movie 'reshots' being 40% on top of the original budget might be normal but it still sounds a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

It appears Aykroyd was off on his reshoot calculations... by some magnitude.

Sony have come out and put the costs of the reshoots at $3 - 4m, not $30 - 40m as Aykroyd claimed, which sounds fairly standard for this sort of production.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Registered Users Posts: 86,476 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It's on RTE 1 tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    It's on RTE 1 tonight
    I watched it for the first time last night. It started out ok for the first 10 minutes or so but went downhill very quickly. It ended up being as bad as most reviews have said. I was a bit surprised that a film released in 2016 would portray Leslie Jone's character as a walking stereotype.

Advertisement