Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election result Maps

Options
  • 11-12-2009 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

A Chairde,

I am asking anyone out there who knows where I can locate 2 politcal maps on the internet.
    The first map I am looking for shows how each constituency voted in the 2007 general election.
    The second map I wish to locate is a map of Europe showing which political party is in majority since the last European election.

My reason is I am doing a short college project where I want to investigate European parliamentary groupings across Ireland and Europe.

From initial searches on CSO, RTE, Irish Times websites I have been unsuccesful. I will gratefully accept anyones advice.

Thankyou

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_general_election,_2007#D.C3.A1il_membership_changes

Not quite what you are looking for but a start point.
    You can click into each constituency and see how many votes each party/candidate got in the election.

Its not a map as such but I'm not sure how useful a map would be for an Irish election. e.g., in a US election you can colour in a state Blue or Red depending on whether Democrat or Republican won.

Whereas in Ireland if a 5seater elected 2 FFs, 1 FG, 1 Labour and an independent then what colour would the map show (especially as FF with 40% of the seats may have had only 28% of the first preferences and used good vote management to sneak the 2nd seat on the final count).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The first map I am looking for shows how each constituency voted in the 2007 general election.
    This is difficult, as each constituency has more than one seat. I've not seen such a map. Potentially, create a map showing party representation by large dots within constituencies.
    The second map I wish to locate is a map of Europe showing which political party is in majority since the last European election.
    I thought I saw such a map here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2009 I remember, because it was unusual showing FG as the major party. Again PR throws things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I suspect you'll have to make your own - however, the base maps and the necessary information are certainly available enough.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

A Chairde,

I am asking anyone out there who knows where I can locate 2 politcal maps on the internet.

My reason is I am doing a short college project where I want to investigate European parliamentary groupings across Ireland and Europe.

From initial searches on CSO, RTE, Irish Times websites I have been unsuccesful. I will gratefully accept anyones advice.

Thankyou

I don't think you'll find them all that easily. They don't make a huge amount of sense in a multi-seat constituency. For instance, here we had 3 MEPs from 3 different parties (EP ones that is) elected in all the constituencies. Also, remember that in the UK some of the constituencies were 10-seaters, so I have no idea how you'd map that!

Advertisement