Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Companies taking advantage of the downturn

Options
  • 11-12-2009 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭

Hi all has anyone come across companies taking advantage with the current situation?
    when i was made redundant late last year i managed to get a job with an agency within a week, i worked 2-4 days a week mon-sun this year i was told that my wages would be cut by 9% nothing much i could do about it glad to have a few quid still coming in.
    I then applied for a job with another company went through the process got an interview everything was going well then the salary came up they wanted me to take a 43% cut in wage i mean WTF.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭afatbollix

ehhh stay with the other job so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭erictheviking

Hi all has anyone come across companies taking advantage with the current situation?
    when i was made redundant late last year i managed to get a job with an agency within a week, i worked 2-4 days a week mon-sun this year i was told that my wages would be cut by 9% nothing much i could do about it glad to have a few quid still coming in.
    I then applied for a job with another company went through the process got an interview everything was going well then the salary came up they wanted me to take a 43% cut in wage i mean WTF.

Never let a good recession go to waste:rolleyes:
    If IBEC and ISME had their way they would have their workers livng in shanty towns working for food

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭donkey balls

afatbollix wrote: »
    ehhh stay with the other job so...
    l

thats what i did just wondering if there is much of it going on in general and the fact that the company is a so called blue chip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Oh yes, its going on, every company is enjoying the natural increase in productivity coming out of this, and on top of it many which are doing just fine are using it as an excuse to cut pay packets. The only thing for it is to grin and bear it, the shoe was on the other foot a couple of years ago in many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

So when times were good you wouldn't switch jobs for a 43% pay increase? Or ask for your employer to match the salary?

What is the comparable salary in other EU countries? UK? US?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭donkey balls

So when times were good you wouldn't switch jobs for a 43% pay increase? Or ask for your employer to match the salary?

What is the comparable salary in other EU countries? UK? US?

I have never seen someone go to another company for 40% more salary unless you count prem league footballers the salary im on is around the industry average.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Without a doubt they are taking advantage, The company my parents work far made record profis last year. This year they are cutting 300 jobs in that factory because they found a way to make more profit by making that product elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

Never let a good recession go to waste:rolleyes:
    If IBEC and ISME had their way they would have their workers livng in shanty towns working for food
    and the line i owe my soul to the company store comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Without a doubt they are taking advantage, The company my parents work far made record profis last year. This year they are cutting 300 jobs in that factory because they found a way to make more profit by making that product elsewhere.

The company probably came here in the first place because they could make better profits than say the US because of the low corporation tax. Now they are heading of to some other low cost economy.

Thats life, thats capitalism. We benefited during the good times, and boy will we suffer during the bad times, i.e. next decade minimum

Advertisement