Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study Tips - Official Thread!

• 11-12-2009 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I cant help making new threads, this forum is so useful - so proud to be a boardsie :pac:.

But getting back to the idea of the thread, procrastination is becoming a bane of my life. The phrase 'ah sure I'll do it tomorrow' occurs quite frequently (practically every day). I'm curious as to how others generally organize themselves in relation to getting lecture, assignments and tutorial work done ie as in writing out notes from lecture slides or learning directly from printed handouts. Exam week usually consists of cramming reams of notes whilst undertaking all nighters or physically digesting them. I don't think this method is working and would love apply somebody elses ways.

I am seriously becoming a caffeine fiend and look like a cross between Michael Jackson in the Thriller video and Freddy Krugar after a bad night out in the Lodge. Please help meee!!! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭alexcorb1991

What works for me is getting those flash cards. Basically I just go through one topic on sulis and write out all the key words and important stuff (eg 9 grounds for discrimination) in big red writing on one side then the defintion/answer on the otherside. Then the next day I go through each card and then quiz myself.

Of course I only started this last week so I've been writing out a subject a night and learning 8 topics about 3 hours before the exam

Hope that helps,
    Alex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I cant help making new threads, this forum is so useful - so proud to be a boardsie :pac:.

But getting back to the idea of the thread, procrastination is becoming a bane of my life. The phrase 'ah sure I'll do it tomorrow' occurs quite frequently (practically every day). I'm curious as to how others generally organize themselves in relation to getting lecture, assignments and tutorial work done ie as in writing out notes from lecture slides or learning directly from printed handouts. Exam week usually consists of cramming reams of notes whilst undertaking all nighters or physically digesting them. I don't think this method is working and would love apply somebody elses ways.

I am seriously becoming a caffeine fiend and look like a cross between Michael Jackson in the Thriller video and Freddy Krugar after a bad night out in the Lodge. Please help meee!!! :D

I reckon I'm going to try waaaay harder next semester, I don't like this cramming and lack of sleep and I don't want to feel like this at the end of the year.

Believe it or not, I intend to start studying again in the last two weeks of the holidays!

Also I need to sort out my notes and filing system, this year I was using the same note-book for 6 different subjects, nightmare.

As for procrastinating, I am the queen :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

The one thing I hate doing is typing out notes; but noticed people who brought their laptop and were typing up the lecture as the lecturer was speaking - so that's going to be me next year. Also my lappy has a built in microphone so I'm gonna see if I can record the lecture outright as well.

I find that the very organising of my notes is what makes me learn them - so I tend to do a few drafts. Also, I'm a 'visual learner' (thanks to shannonlearning.ie for telling me what I already know) so I make cartoons out of everything to help me learn. For example when I was learning about focalisation in EH4001 I made a cartoon of a particular scenario in a number of different viewpoints. Or, for history, turned the story into a cartoon outright. Very fun and very effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 onedoubleo

When it comes to week 11-12 then its too late to go over notes and learn topics for me. Its all about exam papers. I tend to get as many as possible and just do out questions although this is probably alot easier in physics that many other subjects it has me nice and prepared for most things a lecturer can throw in an exam.
    I find it helps to have a good place to study and god knows the library isnt one of those places during exams. Its more like the lodge, the girls are dolled up and nearly everyone I know is in there so usually chatting for half my time there. So the student union rooms are good if you book em nice and early or since lectures are over you can find a good few rooms around the college that are empty and most have wireless in them.

Advertisement