Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No IP assigned. Any suggestions?

Options
  • 11-12-2009 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I can't figure this out, here's the situation:

I have 2 laptops, both of which used to connect to my wireless modem in my house. I had to go to hospital for 3 weeks (bringing a laptop with me, call it laptop2) and since I returned it won't connect fully. Even though laptop1 is fine.

It will connect but has limited or no connectivity. It has the IP 169.254.x.x. I've followed all the instructions from your FAQ thread without success except turning off the security(WEP) on the modem as a lot of other people use it and it did work before I went away.

The card uses intel software which has it's own diagnostics tools, it passes all tests except the ping test.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭mykro28

open a command line (cmd) and type the following

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

see if that works...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Make sure the laptop is set to obtain an IP automatically (DHCP).

• Registered Users Posts: 31 marcusw

No luck,

did get the error: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request timed out.

Make sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Also try

netsh int ip reset reset.txt

and reboot the computer. If it fails get rid of the network and create a new connection.

edit: see if you can access/ping you gateway (router), it'd be quite helpful if you said what model you've got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The 169.254.x.x address is the default address windows gives sometimes, meaning it failed to get a lease on an ip through dhcp. Can other pc's get leases?

• Advertisement

I tried a few of those netsh things before but I'm giving it another whirl now.

When you say connection, you mean the one settings on my laptop? I've deleted and reinstalled the drivers and all software involved with the card twice. I've even uninstalled the antivirus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Can you delete this connection and create a new one?

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    The 169.254.x.x address is the default address windows gives sometimes, meaning it failed to get a lease on an ip through dhcp. Can other pc's get leases?

By leases do you mean can they connect to the network? If so, yes. This laptop has an IP.

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    Can you delete this connection and create a new one?

No luck.

I could post up results for

ipconfig /all

and

ping 169.254.x.x

but how do I copy and paste text from the command prompt?

• Advertisement

Here we go:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\User>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : minibook-0000
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Networ
    k Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-3C-B9-18-96
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.80.183
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.80.183

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8102E/RTL8103E Family PCI
    -E Fast Ethernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-25-01-5A-29

C:\Documents and Settings\User>ping 169.254.80.183

Pinging 169.254.80.183 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 169.254.80.183: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 169.254.80.183:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Documents and Settings\User>

This shed any light on the situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

You have deleted your Wireless connection and added it again?

Once you add it check if your WEP key is correct. As well as windows giving it a default IP of 169. it will also give this if the WEP key is incorrect.

Vanbis wrote: »
    You have deleted your Wireless connection and added it again?

Once you add it check if your WEP key is correct. As well as windows giving it a default IP of 169. it will also give this if the WEP key is incorrect.

Yea, tried this several times but no joy.

Can get an IP address if you connect with a Ethernet cable?

You haven't assigned an IP, DNS in the connections?

Can get an IP address if you connect with a Ethernet cable?

You haven't assigned an IP, DNS in the connections?

Sorry about the delay.

Yes, ethernet seems fine.

As far as I know, all IP settings are at automatic. These are set by going to Wireless Network > Properties >TCP/IP > Properties - and then setting "Obtain IP Automatically". Is that all the settings?

marcusw wrote: »
    Sorry about the delay.

Yes, ethernet seems fine.

As far as I know, all IP settings are at automatic.

This is weird, you tried everything i can think of. You have a second laptop that connects no problems so its not the Router or settngs it has to be something on this Laptop.

Check in decvice manager for any exclamations marks beside the wireless device?

I've uninstalled the card and reinstalled it with about 5 different drivers I found in various places!!

The odd thing about that is that some would not install but the current one is from the intel site.

I've uninstalled the card and reinstalled it with about 5 different drivers I found in various places!!

The odd thing about that is that some would not install but the current one is from the intel site.

But there are no exclamations beside the device in Device manager?

I know this may sound like a waste of time, but change the wireless channel on your Router and try connect again. If its on channel 4 change to 7.

But there are no exclamations beside the device in Device manager?

I know this may sound like a waste of time, but change the wireless channel on your Router and try connect again. If its on channel 4 change to 7.

No exclamations in Device manager.

How do I change this channel?

If you connect on to the Routers default gateway it should bring up the configuration page and have a Menu on the left hand side. You should find this option in Wireless section and it will have a drop down box to select another channel with an option at the end to save or apply changes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

You may have 2 wireless services running at the same time if your PC came with a 3rd party wireless connection manager. Try looking for "Wireless Zero Config" service in Task manager, and then check to see if there are any 3rd party wireless management services running. If you find a 3rd party service try stopping it and allowing the Zero Config to manage the connection.

Did that and rebooted the card but still limited or no connectivity.

You think its starting to seem like a hardware problem? It worked before and I didn't drop it or overheat it.

Did that and rebooted the card but still limited or no connectivity.

You get error because you have IP of 169. Turn of the WEP security and try connect again.

I FIXED THE PROBLEM!!!

This is very embarrassing, but the person who wrote down the WEP key has exceedingly bad handwriting. I stumbled across the right password when looking at the router settings.

Thanks for suggesting it.

As well as windows giving it a default IP of 169. it will also give this if the WEP key is incorrect.

I did ask if you checked the WEP was correct ;)
    I FIXED THE PROBLEM!!!

This is very embarrassing, but the person who wrote down the WEP key has exceedingly bad handwriting. I stumbled across the right password when looking at the router settings.

Thanks for suggesting it.

The main thing is your connected :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭mykro28

I think it is safe to say that this has happened to all of us at least once! At least it is working now.
    On a side note, if you are using WEP I would suggest changing to WPA2 and using a PSK (Pre-Saherd Key) for your encryption. WPA is better than WEP and it is easier to remember a passphrase than those stupid HEX or ASCII WPA Keys!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bunglemark2

Good evening folks

May seem a bit like Groundhog Day, but here goes....
    I have a desktop PC with a wireless dongle that "used" to be OK until a couple of days ago. Basically I moved it downstairs (as it happens, a bit further away from the wireless router, if that has any bearing on the problem).
    Anyway, I updated some software on the PC last night (windows updates mostly), downloaded AVG and installed....everything OK so far.
    All of a sudden, I've no Internet connection. Similar to the previous thread, I can see the router via the dongle console so it's making a connection to it, but no outside connection.
    I've set to "obtain IP address automatically", no joy. (Incidentally, from this machine connected to the same router, all is hunky dory - on this one, the Default Gateway has the same IP address as the router; the IP address differs only in the last digit).
    Tried giving the desktop PC an IP address similar to above, incrementing by 1 on the IP address, no joy.
    If I try to disable/re-enable the wireless connection, it hangs on the "Renewing your IP address" part.....and then hangs.....and then tells me to contact my Tech Support ! So it doesn't seem to be picking up an IP address, even though when I checked on the router console, it's set to assign one to connected devices...

I've been at this over the weekend and I'm lost at this stage....Any ideas folks ? Much appreciated !

Advertisement