Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballygarvan Farmers' Market. Tomorrow Sat Dec 12th and 19th

Options
  • 11-12-2009 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

Hello

Ballygarvan's very own Farmers' Market will take place again tomorrow (Sat 12th) The second market in a series of three festive markets this Christmas.

A wide variety of local food, produce and crafts will be on offer; including fresh meat and fish, fruit and vegetables, bakery, cheese, eggs, health foods and products, and crafts. A range of delicious home-cooked hot food and snacks will be offered by our “Food for Now” stalls.

Join us on Sat 12th and Sat 19th for a complimentary glass of mulled wine and enjoy some family entertainment which will include music and song, shire horses, face-painting and balloon artists.

The Ballygarvan Farmers’ Market is striving to promote local producers and small businesses and community development. Its focus will be to offer locally-produced foods and produce at good-value prices to visitors and local residents.

Best wishes
    David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Hello

Ballygarvan Farmers' Market will take place again on Saturday 19th. It's the last market of this festive season.

A wide variety of local food, produce and crafts will be on offer; including fresh meat and fish, fruit and vegetables, bakery, cheeses, eggs, health foods and products, and crafts. A range of delicious home-cooked hot food and snacks will be offered by our “Food for Now” stalls.

Join us on Sat 19th for a complimentary glass of mulled wine, enjoy some musical entertainment *and* greet Santa at 12 noon (approx)

The Ballygarvan Farmers’ Market is striving to promote local producers and small businesses and community development. Its focus will be to offer locally-produced foods and produce at good-value prices to visitors and local residents.

Many thanks to all the traders, organisers, volunteers and visitor.
    Best wishes
    David[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Went to this market on Saturday and was so disappointed in the choice there. The 'farmers' part of it consisted of one very small stall selling some organic vegetables, which did look like good quality. There was a fishmonger selling fresh fish, we bought some prawns from him, asked for a dozen, when we got home we discovered he gave us about 20, some of which were so small we just threw them in the bin.

Apart from the above there was a small stall selling a few pieces of baking, a van selling crepes, two young boys selling some plants and a stall selling aromatherapy type goods.

From reading about the market online I was expecting more of a focus on locally produced foods.

I'm sorry you were disappointed with your experience at the market - and I'm surprised your criticism focused on the fish stall. Until now the comments about the fresh fish have been universally positive - fresh fish and excellent value. Maybe Dave or Dan on the stall threw in the extra to compensate for the small size - or for good-will. They seem to do that.

All the food *is* locally produced, and some of the produce - root veg, spuds, leeks etc. At this time of year the selection of local produce is limited.

I thought the selection on the home baking stall was quite good. Maybe you arrived late when some cakes and the brown bread were sold out.

There were a few other stalls you didn't mention:
    - the second fruit and veg stall, also selling eggs
    - the homemade organic veg soup and brown bread (very tasty!)
    - the stall selling a variety of pates, oatcakes, cheese
    - the stall selling hand-made soaps

You're right, the "farmer's" aspect is a bit lacking at the moment but we're working on it. We've lost the fresh meat stall but are working on a replacement. The hens and chicken coops are expected to make a return next week.
    The live animals - sheep, lambs, rabbits, not for sale, for the kids' amusement - will be back too hopefully. Also on the entertainment side, we've had regular live music, an Easter egg hunt and visiting shire horses.

It's not an easy job trying to establish a new market - with limited funds and relying on the efforts of volunteer organisers. We are looking for a number of stalls to "fill the gap in the market" but with perseverance and local support we hope to make it work.

I hope you'll decide to visit again. I'm sure the fish stall will be happy to make amends - and I'd like to offer you a coffee and slice of cake and hear any other comments you might have. (No impostors now please!)

David.

I regret to announce that Ballygarvan Farmers' Market is now closed.
    The low level of business at the market meant it was no longer viable for stallholders to continue.

Many thanks to anyone who was involved with the market and the customers that supported it.

See full notice on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I regret to announce that Ballygarvan Farmers' Market is now closed.
    The low level of business at the market meant it was no longer viable for stallholders to continue.

Many thanks to anyone who was involved with the market and the customers that supported it.

See full notice on the website

So sorry to hear this; we are seeking a good market to trade at and this one caught the eye.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    So sorry to hear this; we are seeking a good market to trade at and this one caught the eye.

Maybe you'll find a suitable market on the Bord Bia site.
    http://www.bordbia.ie/aboutfood/farmersmarkets/Pages/default.aspx

In case all the local markets aren't included: There are markets at Douglas (Saturday), Blackrock (Sunday), Carraigaline, Crosshaven, Kinsale. I hope you'll find one to suit.

Advertisement