Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ex Taxi - would I be nuts ??

• 11-12-2009 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭

Talking to the guy tonite selling this. His a dealer and said the car was an ex taxi with 150k miles.

Is it worth it ?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1085783

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

15 airbags? photos aren't of the actual car, owner can't spell Octavia even though it's written on the car. I'd be skeptical to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭jaffa20

He couldn't even take a picture.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭golfdiva

haha minor details - granted the ad may not be well constructed but what ye think of buying an ex taxi ?

What sort of warranty is the garage offering?
    Is there any service history on the car?

FSH up to 2007 , car has just got a new turbo as well.

His a small time dealer doing cars on the side so warranty highly unlikely.

• Advertisement

Look, it's a cheap car, but there so many pitfalls. Get a mechanic to check it out, do a HPI check for outstanding finance, and put a few grand aside for preventitive maintainance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its always good to have an independant inspection done. Not sure how much it costs but if there's anything to find they'll find it and you can always use it to bargain the price down.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 vbunse

wouldnt go for this kind of advert myself, not right.

Cheap not good - good not cheap.

i'd give it a miss,

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

The interior is bound to be in poor nick.

I was tempted to buy a taxi once till I took a good look at the state of the seats, door upholstery, carpets etc.

I'd say wait till the new year, there'll be more choice and the dealers will be anxious to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

New turbo on a 1.9TDI after 4 years? Very dodgy, it's either been utterly ragged or rarely serviced. Avoid, sounds like he's desperately trying to get rid of it. Ad is deeply dodgy too. Believe me, it's not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

How many clapped out taxis have you been in? How many decent ones?
    Most of the ones I've been in are unpleasant at best and downright dangerous otherwise (suspension, drives and/or brakes shot to bits)

Have you ever sat into a taxi and thought, jebus - this guy really should have stopped flogging this dead donkey about 50k miles ago?

Taximen are experts at getting the maximum output from a car with minimum input. That's business. Previous owner has decided this is uneconomical to keep on the road. I would be wary of imminent and excruciating bills if this guy is going for a "quick sale".
    Get it well checked out if you are still tempted!

Google this wheelerdealer and you get
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1073915
    !!!!!!! CASH BUYER,S!!!!!!!!! ALL CARS AND VANS BOUGHT... MUST BE DRIVING... ANYTHING CONSIDERD....... CALL OR TEX ANYTIME.......!!!!!!!$$$$$$$$$$ JUST TEX CAR DETAILS AND LOWEST PRICE.....THANK YOU... $$$$$$$£££££££££££$$$$$$$$$

!! ANYTHING !! BOUGHT CASH ON THE SPOT !!!

ALL MAKES AND SIZES CALL NOW..OR TEX AND WE,LL CALL YOU BACK....

I'll let you come to your own conclusions about he quality of this guys stock...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

seems like a right dell boy operation allright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If this has been a taxi for more than about 1 year, that mileage would be false. Taxis do crazy mileage. I wouldnt dream of it. How much would a genuine octavia cost, couldnt be a whole lot more. One major job on this car would make the difference for sure.
    Look elsewhere tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

run a mile............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

mossfort wrote: »
    seems like a right dell boy operation allright.

No money back, no guarantee,
    No income tax, no V A T .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

It won't cost you anything to go and look at it. I suggest you bring a friend or someone with mechanically sound knowledge of cars who could give you an over all assesment of the car without the "Emotional Attraction" which sometimes kicks in when buying a car for yourself.

Price around and get an idea of the Price of Octavia's in other dealers. And see how much the price fairs out. Make sure to ask the man for the registration number and cross check it with My Wheels and Motor Check etc. Make sure you pay for a History Check which could show up any inconsistancies in the car's history.

Also, bare in mind it was a taxi, which has clocked over 150k, so inside componets are bound to be worn down etc as mentioned by other posters.
    If you view the car, and are happy with it, do make sure the car comes with Valid NCT and a Full Service History, and bargain with the "dealer":rolleyes: so he will get a Full Service Carried out by a MAIN SKODA DEALER Nearby prior to the sale.

It could be a lemon, but as I said, viewing wont cost anything, just remember to Approach with Caution

Hope that advice may have been of some use to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I would not buy an ex Taxi in a zillion years, Imagine how many people probably got sick in the back of it on their Taxi journey home on a Friday night pissup session.... Theres a certain stigma attached to owning an ex Taxi i would imagine.. I am sure there are very well maintained examples out there and there are ones which you should run a mile from. I would not touch that one anway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Incredibly dodgy ad indeed, although it may be worth a look just to see the 15 air bags in it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

langdang wrote: »
    How many clapped out taxis have you been in? How many decent ones?
    Most of the ones I've been in are unpleasant at best and downright dangerous otherwise (suspension, drives and/or brakes shot to bits)

Have you ever sat into a taxi and thought, jebus - this guy really should have stopped flogging this dead donkey about 50k miles ago?

Taximen are experts at getting the maximum output from a car with minimum input. That's business. Previous owner has decided this is uneconomical to keep on the road. I would be wary of imminent and excruciating bills if this guy is going for a "quick sale".
    Get it well checked out if you are still tempted!

Google this wheelerdealer and you get
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1073915
    !!!!!!! CASH BUYER,S!!!!!!!!! ALL CARS AND VANS BOUGHT... MUST BE DRIVING... ANYTHING CONSIDERD....... CALL OR TEX ANYTIME.......!!!!!!!$$$$$$$$$$ JUST TEX CAR DETAILS AND LOWEST PRICE.....THANK YOU... $$$$$$$£££££££££££$$$$$$$$$

!! ANYTHING !! BOUGHT CASH ON THE SPOT !!!

ALL MAKES AND SIZES CALL NOW..OR TEX AND WE,LL CALL YOU BACK....

I'll let you come to your own conclusions about he quality of this guys stock...

Nice one. Internet detectives rule! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭weepee

At 40,000 miles per year, thats a lot for the engine. A new turbo means the original has blown.
    Its due its second full timing belt kit, if it had a full change at 70,000.

OPINION: Leave it alone.

• Advertisement

TDIs are hardly bulletproof and blown turbos aren't out of the ordinary with half that mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

How many Airbags!!!!! Maybe she's driving :D

airbags_002.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭weepee

Doesnt need a seatbelt anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Nah, ive no problem in buying a ex taxi, the car i drive now was a taxi before i bought it, and minus a servicing there hasnt been on unexpected repair.

Like most cars being bought second hand common sense applies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you can do so much better for that price.... the only plus point is he is advertising it as an ex-taxi rather than leaving you find out and hoping you wont, so he must have SOME integrity.personally its a NO from me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Nah, ive no problem in buying a ex taxi, the car i drive now was a taxi before i bought it, and minus a servicing there hasnt been on unexpected repair.

Come on, that only applies to an uttelry unsophisticated Carina E or a '92 Corolla. This is an ex-taxi with a very, very sophisticated autobox that hasn't been fully proven in the long term. Also, the failure of the turbo in a 1.9TDI engine is deeply worrying - those engines very rarely fail, and it's not a huge coincidence that the only way you can kill one is by ragging it to death or under-servicing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭docmartin

definetly too expensive at €5,500 for a octavia which is 5yeras old in two weeks, afterall they werent a dear car to begin with, i'd reckon ya'd get a low milage octavia for the same money, after all, a 5year old car

docmartin wrote: »
    definetly too expensive at €5,500 for a octavia which is 5yeras old in two weeks, afterall they werent a dear car to begin with, i'd reckon ya'd get a low milage octavia for the same money, after all, a 5year old car

OK ,find another one even close with the same engine and gearbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Bit lower spec and a bit older, but more reasonable mileage

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1085767

EDIT

Automatic version for you again lower mileage

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1081523

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭NotInventedHere

Never pay over a grand for an ex taxi over 5 years old. Had an ex taxi that I bought with 170,000 on the clock for 700 euro. A primera. Sold it 2 years later for 1200.

Advertisement