Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Aussies think the Irish are thick?

Options
  • 11-12-2009 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

On another boards thread I read the following:
    That's what I would have thought.
    Though having spent time living and working in US and Australia I was surprised at the amount of people that don't think very positively about the Irish at all.

Very true , in Australia they seem to think a lot of Irish are thick, possibly comes from the Paddy Irish jokes, but in a interview situation you have the opportunity to put your self across but stereotypes and ignorance do exist even more so from minorities.
    I have to say I was very surprised at this and always thought the Aussies had a great time for the Irish.

Anybody any different experiences?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055767696&page=2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

there may be that Irish jokes knocking around, but in truth the Irish that settle here are generally very decent workers and highly skilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I haven't experienced anything beyond what I would call banter. I'm sure in the same way we don't believe every Kiwi is a sheeps***er, the Aussies don't believe the Irish are thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

I think they do enjoy what can seem like a laugh at us - I think it's less to do with thinking we're thick and more to do with thinking we're up for the joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Have to agree with M@CC@ never experienced anything other than friendly banter, thankfully there are plenty of other Nationalities in Australia that could be targeted as being thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

its all just banter the aus and the brits are always at it with each other, last time i was in aus,cars drove around with a plant a pom for christmass stickers on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

im not sure how exactly it was worded....but on the radio a few weeks back i heard someome complaining and said something to the effect that

"Whoever designed it must be irish" about something he thought was crap. i wasnt amused.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

uglyjohn wrote: »
    im not sure how exactly it was worded....but on the radio a few weeks back i heard someome complaining and said something to the effect that

"Whoever designed it must be irish" about something he thought was crap. i wasnt amused.

He cant complain. Probably robbed it (Its in their blood dont ya know)

uglyjohn wrote: »

They're just showing their colonial origins, don't take it so seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭cassette50

to be fair to the Aussies...it's hardly the best of best in terms of the Irish people that do emigrate there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

m@cc@ wrote: »
    They're just showing their upper-class snobbery as relaitives of ex-cons who were forced over to that desert oven, don't take it so seriously.

Fixed your post.

In the words of Dylan Moran "The place is an oven, nobody should live there."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

From my time in Oz, i wouldn't put it past the Aussies to think the Irish are thick. The amount of drunk, stupid, Irish wandering around in their GAA jerseys roaring and shouting and argueing amongst themselves is ridiculous.

I also noticed a lot of guys from the country, who were probably the star GAA player, or well known in there village/town and probably got away with a lot of stuff as a result of this, bring this attitude to a city on the other side of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭enry

we go over to their country get drunk and p1ss all over it, for a year and then fcuk off home so they probably think we are thick.

Personally i think they are some of the stupidest fcukers i've ever come accross. an aussies has about half the brains in general as an irish person. prob down to the fact that they live three miles away from the sun. if any of the aussies i worked with over there had to work in ireland they would be dead in about 5 min. they simply would not last the pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

i hope the aussies treat all the irish bigots with the same if not more disdain as those same irish do to immigrants in ireland:cool:

although being white brits you probably get off easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭enry

dont mind being called a "brit" as long as you dont call me an aussies. By the way I’m black and you automatically just assumed I was white you fcuk bigot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

enry wrote: »
    we go over to their country get drunk and p1ss all over it, for a year and then fcuk off home so they probably think we are thick.

Personally i think they are some of the stupidest fcukers i've ever come accross. an aussies has about half the brains in general as an irish person. prob down to the fact that they live three miles away from the sun. if any of the aussies i worked with over there had to work in ireland they would be dead in about 5 min. they simply would not last the pace.

I could write better than you when I was six. God help us if we only have half your brain.
    No we do no think the Irish are thick. Only the odd few who make it quite clear that they are not the sharpest tools in the shed.

By the way, the Irish actually started those Irish invention jokes. Except before they brought them overseas it was 'Kerry Invention' I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

enry wrote: »
    dont mind being called a "brit" as long as you dont call me an aussies. By the way I’m black and you automatically just assumed I was white you fcuk bigot

Ah now you are just being silly. Reported.

i hope the aussies treat all the irish bigots with the same if not more disdain as those same irish do to immigrants in ireland:cool:

If you bang on about Paris in the same condescending fashion as you do on here, I'm not surprised you're dealt with disdain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

I'm not an immigrant, I have Irish passport. My parents are Irish. But as a 'sort of not irish' irish person I can have a double insight. I can be critical and still not be condescending.

I'm not an immigrant, I have Irish passport. My parents are Irish. But as a 'sort of not irish' irish person I can have a double insight. I can be critical and still not be condescending.

Case in point.
    btw french food is so superior to anywhere in america. as irish you people prob know no better but when your from the best city in the world paris you can look at world differently.

For the record, Rome s***s on Paris. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

In a nut shell every country that has a lot of Irish immigration historically, associates us with the Irish jokes, I lived in the US and visit there very often, I spent a lot of time in the UK and in Dublin during the boom working with alot of English and Ozzies.

Everyone of them would always associate Ireland, in a lighthearted way, with Irish jokes, even the immigrants I mentioned above when in Ireland. It was always in a jocular fashion and noone is foolish enough to believe any of the Irish "stories" are anything more than jokes.
    Perhaps a slight form of racism about a nationality that is not so far up its own ass that it could give 2 She-ites about these jokes anyway.
    In fact I have often had great fun with Americans playing the Ireland still only has electricity in the cities stories and the Darby OGill accent. The joke is very often on them.

Personally my wife and I both are in the country and are both managing Ozzies. In Brizzy I am finding a large quantity if Brit, Irish and Canadians in skilled and managerial roles here. The simple fact is we have a lot more people gaining higher education levels, than they do here, for reasons of sport and a macho culture dare I say. Its an accepted fact that Aus has a skills shortage, in short they do not produce enough skilled people for the country to function. This is an undebatable point.

Im also always of the opinion that the Irish just like to travel and more importantly like to work, than other races. It is very UN-Irish to lay about and not work.
    The Irish will go to great lengths worldwide in search of work and new experiences. London, Liverpool, Boston, Chicago Newyork and now even more so- Australia. There too, must be an Irish bar in every major city of the world?!? We refuse, as a nation, to lay around on the dole. hence I believe why you see so many more Irish all around the world as from the old days it was just a given - want work must travel !
    We all grew up with family emigrated its just a given. My own family emigrated in the 80s and it was not even a 2nd thought in my own move over here when work dictated.

Italy, Spain and the UK other also have large unempolyment currently - why do we not see hoardes of these nationalities on the worldwide job hunt ?

Perhaps we just like to work more than others ?!?! Shock Horror Work hard and play hard.........

Enjoy the craic, work when you have it, play when you can but above all just be Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 swampdonkey

doesnt mean your not an immigrant, ..

a refugee can get an irish passport if they get naturalised, but they are still an immigrant

just being pedantic of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Right, this thread has become ridiculous.

Candystripes or whatever your name is... have you even been to Australia? Quit the troling or you will be banned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement