Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should they have scrapped the dole altogether?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BMurr

stepbar wrote: »
    Wow, brilliant thinking there :rolleyes: Words fail me.....

Does the "weekly bus" run on fresh air? If you're referring to the Rural Transport Programme system that exists in many parts of the country there's a cost to the user. What if you are actually out looking for work, attending interviews etc, will the "weekly bus" cover that too? "Eh, sorry Mr. Employer, I can't do Wednesday, the bus only runs on a Friday and eh well ya know I've no other transport. Sorry can't do the interview, O well". Do you know how much a train / bus ticket is these days?

I've come to the conclusion that you haven't a clue about what living in the countryside entails. Whatever about reducing the dole, but reducing people's right to a bit of dignity and independence is downright sick.

Well I do actually have a fair bit of experience of country living. I do accept that country living might not be the best base if you are looking for work in distant urban areas. I do sometimes think of cycling the nine miles to work but the route between the satellite town and my work has a steady flow of fast traffic with no hard shoulder on the road to hide in so it would be a suicide run. Back to the job searcher going for interview scenario, there are options, presumably the interviews aren't that frequent and in some cases non-existant so why not book a taxi for that rare interview scanario? Will still be a heap cheaper than cost of running a car. Lets get real here, it is quite likely that peoole are running the car(s)for convenience sake and not out of necessity in most examples. Now I know there can be exceptions to everything but I'm talking about a general scenario here. The communities of the future post the era of cheap and easy fossil fuels is predicted to be one of urban communities ( towns.villages.cities) where energy costs are lower by economies of scale. We are on a drunken binge of energy consumption at the moment and there will be a heck of a hangover when it ends- but I guess thats a whole different thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

kbannon wrote: »
    Make people do community service for it!
    dont know what the rate of unemployment was in the 1960s but anyone on the dole long term had to work 6 weeks per year or their dole was cut.if it was cutting grass or building walls what ever it was done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭To The North

kbannon wrote: »
    Make people do community service for it!

this is one of the most positive ideas i've heard in a long time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Maybe if we had full unemployment.

But we dont. There are no jobs and no prospect of jobs.

And most on the dole would have five or more years of A class stamps. If the ****heads in Dail Eireann cancelled dole they'd be swinging from lamp posts, perhaps. Well, if people weren't so passive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Yes, yes, cut the dole, do away with the dole.... they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population while they are at it.

It is christmas after all!

• Advertisement

You can't do any kind of work at all whilst on the Dole. If you even try to do charity work, your dole is cut.

You're on the dole as a jobseeker. You can't raise money for Trocaire and be looking for work at the same time.

True story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

While the welfare state is an unmitigated disaster, benefits can't be turned on and off like a tap.

Garlic could have done many things in the budget (like tackle the quangos, and inefficiency in local government), but one additional step he should have taken when cutting the levels for those of a certain age, was to cut it across the board, on a phased basis, and reinstate the levels for those who take up positions working within the community in order to earn their benefits.

I'd love to see employer subsidisation too, what I mean by that is if an employer can be subsidised by the state, to the tune of say, a hundred quid a week to keep someone on rather than let them go and claim the dole. However in this corrupt little craphole we live in, such a policy would only encourage rampant abuse, and would never work.

From reading the whinging on here from those on welfare who haven't taken a cut *in real terms*, I'm mindful of another culture that seems to be forming, that the state, ergo me and other taxpayers, are or should be liable for peoples mortgages and car loans.

Bollocks to that, those out of work of late have my utmost sympathy, but I have my own bills to pay. Why should we have to pay yours as well? Social housing is available, and the demands can and should be met as appropriate. Bankruptcy law and policy too, is something that is going to have to be tackled sooner rather than later, and in a manner that does not penalise those who genuinely cannot meet their repayments. Let the banks take the hit for once.

Advertisement