Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AA Membership

• 11-12-2009 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭

AA Membership 66 euro in Dunnes.
    Usually twice that price I think

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

cheek of them. I have my car insurance with them and they just sent me a letter offering that for 70.
    The clever people wi'll have wondered why someone with aa car insurance doesn't have breakdown cover. Indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Surely most comprehensive car insurance has breakdown cover included?
    I am with Hibernian (through Tesco) and I get RAC cover including "homesart" included . Called them out a couple of weeks ago - I had to check the policy to make sure it was covered while outside the house - and was surprised that it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Ogham wrote: »
    I am with Hibernian (through Tesco) and I get RAC cover including "homesart" included . Called them out a couple of weeks ago - I had to check the policy to make sure it was covered while outside the house - and was surprised that it was.

Had them out for a dead battery outside my front door.

No charge. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Ogham wrote: »

Im with AIG through a broker..no breakdown

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mark_ej9

the one in dunnes is for a car where as when you buy it through AA its personalised. its the person that is covered not the car and thats the difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

MY folks are with Quinn Direct n get cover. My mam broke down on a Friday night and rang the number for break down. No answer, left a message.. She got a call back on Monday morning asking if she still needed help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

AA cover in Ireland is a joke - in most cases it'll be your local recovery guy they send to you especially if you're outside a city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

and why is that a joke, the AA obviously have to pay the local recovery guy and you dont have to... I have had to be towed a few times which otherwise would have cost me €80 approx each time... so it has saved me alot.

Does it really matter who towes as long as you get towed ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

There's a little trick with homestart, if you register it to your parents address, your address will have no charge, so basically homestart for free :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Good idea but presume if a lot of people started doing it they'd cop on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

€44 if you join as an associate, basically any member who doesn't already have one, think you might need to be at the same address too. I got associate membership with my Mam cos my dad doesn't live with us, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Kevin! wrote: »
    There's a little trick with homestart, if you register it to your parents address, your address will have no charge, so basically homestart for free :D

What do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

and why is that a joke, the AA obviously have to pay the local recovery guy and you dont have to... I have had to be towed a few times which otherwise would have cost me €80 approx each time... so it has saved me alot.

Does it really matter who towes as long as you get towed ??

Because if I pay an overpriced premium for AA membership I expect service from the AA not a third party. If I want the local yokel coming out I'll take the bog standard cover I get from my insurance company. The whole point of the AA is that they're supposed try to repair the car if it's a minor problem. Some recovery guy isn't going to bother his arse even trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Murt10

eamon234 wrote: »
    AA cover in Ireland is a joke - in most cases it'll be your local recovery guy they send to you especially if you're outside a city.

My car was stolen from outside my house about 10 years ago on a Saturday night, the weekend before Christmas. The first I knew about being stolen was when I got a phone call from the local Gardai at 10.00 am on Sunday asking if I knew where my car was.

I had to scrounge a lift from a friend to go to a Garda station miles away down the country. The car wouldn't start and the ignition had been ripped out. I rang thr AA and within an hour the local recovery guy came out and started the car for me.

I have no idea of what I would have done or how I would have got the car home without the local man the AA sent me.

My experience is that you only need to be stuck in a bad hole once to realise how valuable AA cover can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Would I be right to say that you get more from Hibernian than AA for their basic packages?

Hibernian Aviva Rescue Plus is €73.21 and includes Home Start
    AA Roadside Rescue is €99 (or €79 direct debit) and doesn't include Home Start.

Hibernian: http://www.hibernian.ie/online/driving/breakdown-cover/about/
    Hibernian Aviva Rescue Plus covers your car, regardless of who is driving. If it breaks down on a public road anywhere in Ireland or the UK, or at your home, we will provide a Hibernian Aviva Rescue Patrol or a contractor to assist you. If we cannot fix your car at the scene we will arrange for your car to be brought to your home or any Republic of Ireland or UK destination. We will also make sure that you complete your journey safely by arranging a replacement car, alternative transport or overnight accommodation.

AA: https://secure.aaireland.ie/personal-membership/Default.asp
    Roadside Rescue, our standard level of cover, offers you rescue assistance in the open road 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in Ireland and the UK.

If we cannot repair your car at the roadside we will tow your vehicle to the nearest AA appointed garage free of charge.

Assistance is just a Freefone call away.

To add all the extras onto AA will bring the total to €217, whereas the Hibernian total adds up to €104.60

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have used breakdown assistance a few times, always with the insurance company. I once was stupid and panicked and ordered the AA only to find out that I can not use it immediatly and have a waiting period. I then checked my insurance and found out I already had cover so I cancelled the AA and got a refund.
    Oh and I was doubly stupid that day as the reason I had to call them out? I started the car, went back in to the house for a minute and when I came back the car was locked with the engine running. My wife was away in Manila with the spare key :D A guy was sent who was able to get in to the car with some wedges and wire, the fact the car was started made it easy as he just had to get to the electric window button.

I do feel though that if you are with AA car insurance, you should have AA road cover as standard. It is one of the reasons I am not with them, that and their lies. They claimed not so long ago to beat any insurance quote and in my case (probably others) they could not even come close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

eamon234 wrote: »

Your right, on average outside the city you could be waiting up to 2 hours for them!, when they send out someone it usually tends to be the local Rep and if they call out themselves and it's a large vehicle they'll only offer to tow you into a place of safety!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭leuler

That Hibernian rescue is not a standard price, it is dependent on your car. My quote was over 200 euro more than I pay the AA.

Advertisement