Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peeling paint on unskimmed ceiling?

Options
  • 11-12-2009 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,179 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    while replacing a section of my hall ceiling (due to a leak during the recent storms) I discovered to my surprise that the hall ceiling was never skimmed, just taped.
    All around the new joint the paint is flaking away in large sections, Im not sure if this is because it was wet at one stage or if the paint is just not sticking to the bare plasterboard. (House is 18 years old)

I wanted to get the whole ceiling skimmed again and painted now that I have repaired the patch, but am unsure what to do about this peeling paint.
    Obviously I cant just skim over this paint, the skim will fall off. I dont think PVA or thistlebond etc will cut it as surely they will just stick the the paint and not really stick the paint to the plasterboard?

Is my only option to scrape the paint all off?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,179 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Bump?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

remove paint,lightly sand ceiling with fine sandpaper,if you want to avoid skimming and just paint the ceiling, add pva to the first coat of paint and get the second coat on before the first is fully dried.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,179 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

mp22 wrote: »
    remove paint,lightly sand ceiling with fine sandpaper,if you want to avoid skimming and just paint the ceiling, add pva to the first coat of paint and get the second coat on before the first is fully dried.

I was hoping to avoid having to strip the paint... :(

If I do have to get it back to bare plasterboard I'll just thistlebond it.
    Any advice on stripping the paper, I guess a wallpaper scraper type of weapon.

cheers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

GreeBo wrote: »
    I was hoping to avoid having to strip the paint... :(

If I do have to get it back to bare plasterboard I'll just thistlebond it.
    Any advice on stripping the paper, I guess a wallpaper scraper type of weapon.

cheers.
    yep scraper and elbow grease

Advertisement