Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welfare Queries

• 12-12-2009 12:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

As my distinguished colleague has opened up to boards in relation to Education, I shall endeavour to answer your welfare questions here.

D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Free johnnies for all! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Sticky such threads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Why is the form for financial assistance fire engine red. don't you think it should be a more descrete colour like white?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The forms are coloured so that they can't be photocopied. The colour is different for semester 2. For filing purposes it's also handy that the form is distinctive from all the documentation accompanying it.

In any case, there is no requirement to fill the form out in a public place.

in seriousness though, the dark colour of the page makes it difficult to read.

just thought I would mention it.

• Advertisement

in seriousness though, the dark colour of the page makes it difficult to read.

just thought I would mention it.

Will keep that one in mind. Cheers.

Now for my next challenge

Any chance you can get ULSU to find out the full and detailed story in relation to what is happening to the grant for BTEA recipients?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Any chance you can get ULSU to find out the full and detailed story in relation to what is happening to the grant for BTEA recipients?

Yep I'd love to know too.

From what I can find it seems I'll be ok as this applies to students entering the system in 2010, I would like it clarified though please*.

Cheers mud.

*I would also LOVE to see my grant soon but that's besides the point.

I'm letting the dust settle on the civil servants, but from what I have heard from other sources within the University, BTEA will continue for those currently in receipt as normal. From September 2010 new BTEA recipients will not be eligible to draw down a grant. That is the situation as it stands today, however Budget 2011 may alter this.
    mud wrote: »
    Yep I'd love to know too.

From what I can find it seems I'll be ok as this applies to students entering the system in 2010, I would like it clarified though please*.

Cheers mud.

*I would also LOVE to see my grant soon but that's besides the point.
    What grant authority are you dealing with?? The Governing Authority Access and Student Affairs Committee is currently investigating the issues around the delays for some students. Are you waiting on the 1st or 2nd payment, when did you receive confirmation of grant?

You can email that to me if you like. SUwelfare@ul.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

ninty9er wrote: »
    I'm letting the dust settle on the civil servants, but from what I have heard from other sources within the University, BTEA will continue for those currently in receipt as normal. From September 2010 new BTEA recipients will not be eligible to draw down a grant. That is the situation as it stands today, however Budget 2011 may alter this.

What grant authority are you dealing with?? The Governing Authority Access and Student Affairs Committee is currently investigating the issues around the delays for some students. Are you waiting on the 1st or 2nd payment, when did you receive confirmation of grant?

You can email that to me if you like. SUwelfare@ul.ie

I'm dealing with Limerick CoCo. Had my application in well before the closing date. I've been ringing them on a weekly basis, all I hear is back-log back-log.

I appreciate that there's a back log but does it really take a month to give me final approval? (When I rang a month ago it was on the final approval desk, rang last week and it's still on the final approval desk)

I'm 12 grand under the threshold, and this is my first time going to 3rd level so it's pretty much a given that I'll get it. (i hope!)

Am literally living off beans and toast at the mo, Christmas is cancelled and there's been days when I couldn't afford the petrol to get in to college.

I'll send you a mail if/when I get final confirmation.

Cheers for replying though!

• Advertisement

Jesus all my joking about johnnies aside, I'll be calling into you for supplys any more Ninty - €5 for 3 in the SU! €5 for 3 rides.... :eek: you can get a similar deal in Prague if you know where to go, johnny included.... :pac:

Ah, spose its not bad for a lifetime supply though :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭alexcorb1991

cson wrote: »
    Jesus all my joking about johnnies aside, I'll be calling into you for supplys any more Ninty - €5 for 3 in the SU! €5 for 3 rides.... :eek: you can get a similar deal in Prague if you know where to go, johnny included.... :pac:

I thought they were free and it was an unwritten rule you make a donation?

I thought they were free and it was an unwritten rule you make a donation?

He means in the machine upstairs I imagine. The Mojos are free with an "obligatory" donation. We've raised over €300 so far, so keep on truckin guys.

Nah, the SU Spar - extortionate! :o

Nah, the SU Spar - extortionate! :o
    They barely sell stock in 3 figures over an entire calendar year, not many people buy them.

They barely sell stock in 3 figures over an entire calendar year, not many people buy them.

Desperate times call for desperate measures... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Desperate times call for desperate measures... :p

Yes but the poor health system!! http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2009/09/04/story100115.asp:eek::eek::eek:

Look at what you've caused by asking for donations!!! :D:D:D:D

Can we keep it civil now.;)

As emailed to students who contacted me directly:

I have clarified with the Dept. of Education that those already in receipt of BTEA and Higher Ed. Grant will continue to receive both, albeit at the new lower rates for both. Changes to the structure apply to new entrants only.
    The Student Service Charge will be covered once the means test for the grant is satisfied, regardless of whether the applicant chooses Higher Ed. Grant or BTEA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I will be starting first year in September and im almost sure that I will get BTEA. Will I get the registration fee paid still?

• Advertisement

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I will be starting first year in September and im almost sure that I will get BTEA. Will I get the registration fee paid still?
    From what I've been told by the department, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 THEDUDEINWHITE

I was wondering is the Maintenance Grant paid out while we are off? Basically will I have it for Christmas! :D

P2 isn't ordinarily paid until January at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 THEDUDEINWHITE

Do you mean Part 2? If so I haven't received Part 1 yet?!

As Aoife has dropped a BUMP on her thread I may as well do the same for those of you that can't make it to the office.

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 JellyBeana

Hi Derek,

I wondering what the story was with signing on during summer months? I'm a 24 year old first year with 5 years worth of stamps built up. I'm getting a grant but it barely covers anything and I'm looking for part time work but I'm not hearing anything back about any jobs I've applied for. If the worst comes to the worst and I still don't have a job by the time second semester is finished would I be able to sign on for the summer seeing as technically I'm available for full time work for those three months?

Best of luck in the elections btw :)

JellyBeana wrote: »
    Hi Derek,

I wondering what the story was with signing on during summer months? I'm a 24 year old first year with 5 years worth of stamps built up. I'm getting a grant but it barely covers anything and I'm looking for part time work but I'm not hearing anything back about any jobs I've applied for. If the worst comes to the worst and I still don't have a job by the time second semester is finished would I be able to sign on for the summer seeing as technically I'm available for full time work for those three months?

Best of luck in the elections btw :)

Unless you are in receipt of BTEA you generally can't sign on for the summer. This may differ for mature students so I will check it out and get back to you when I get a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

Derek, I've a query I thought would be better addressed to you though I know it's not strictly to do with Welfare so I'll spoiler it in case anyone thinks it should be removed. This could just be horrible hearsay.
    Talking to someone today and we were talking about who we had voted for and we both said we'd voted for you.
    Then the other person said " That was before I found out what his supporters did in the Lodge last night."
    So I asked what they meant and they said that apparently a group of your supporters surrounded Nick Ryan [or some of his supporters, not sure] and there was a bit of a scuffle.

Now I don't know the validity of this statement or their source and i didn't go saying it to anyone else but thought I'd mention it and find out the validity of this statement.

snazzy wrote: »
    Derek, I've a query I thought would be better addressed to you though I know it's not strictly to do with Welfare so I'll spoiler it in case anyone thinks it should be removed. This could just be horrible hearsay.
    Talking to someone today and we were talking about who we had voted for and we both said we'd voted for you.
    Then the other person said " That was before I found out what his supporters did in the Lodge last night."
    So I asked what they meant and they said that apparently a group of your supporters surrounded Nick Ryan [or some of his supporters, not sure] and there was a bit of a scuffle.

Now I don't know the validity of this statement or their source and i didn't go saying it to anyone else but thought I'd mention it and find out the validity of this statement.

I can't guarantee what did or didn't happen as I left the lodge shortly after 1:30, but I didn't hear anything this morning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Concy

He means in the machine upstairs I imagine. The Mojos are free with an "obligatory" donation. We've raised over €300 so far, so keep on truckin guys.

It dispicable that students should have to contribute for these to a SU that recieves a serious amount of money every year. A friend of mine suggested that it happened to him and he was quite intimidated by the 'tapping of the jar'. This friend of mine is from a disadvantaged area in Dublin and said he actually didnt have the money to buy his own, hence he went to the SU to recieve them for "free".

Maybe our so called Welfare Officer might like to give a small fortune of his 26,000 salary instead of cash strapped students if he is so concerned about raising money??

Advertisement