Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever hear of a Paul Murray? Learning to use a DSLR...

• 12-12-2009 12:28am

Hey all,

first off, I'd like to just quote a post I made in the Louth forum a few weeks ago that never got a reply, so I thought I'd throw it up here to see if anyone on here would know anything:

Link to post: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055741314

Hey all,

Just seen this guy, Paul Murray, that does photography classes in Barlow House (next to Gleeson's) and I just thought I'd throw a thread up to see if anyone has ever went to one of his classes?

Was it a waste of time? Hugely beneficial? Average?

Just looking to get some ideas from anyone who may have attended one.

His site is here;

http://www.paulmurrayphotography.com/

Cheers.

Would anyone on here know of him, or anything about him?

I want to learn how to use a DSLR properly, and I'm pretty much struggling to get it right on my own. I'm not good at self-teaching it would seem. I've a vague idea of shutter speed and what it does, but out from that, I'm lost.

Also, if i were to go to a Photography class, I have an Olympus E-420, would this be suitable enough for such kind of classes? I'm aware that Olympus aren't as popular as the likes of Canon, etc. so I'm not sure if it'd be OK or not (though I don't fancy buying a new DSLR either way). It's also probably worth noting the only lens i have for it is the one that came with it, a 14-42mm one.

Could anyone let me know their thoughts please?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Not heard of him.

Have you thought about joining a local Camera Club?

CabanSail wrote: »
    Not heard of him.

Have you thought about joining a local Camera Club?

There actually is a camera club in the town (Drogheda) I believe, but I'd never even consider going near it.

I'd much rather walk into a room full of people who have only just heard that cameras exist, than walk into a room of people who have been using them for ages and know them inside out, and at least if i did an actual course, everyone would be meeting for the first time, rather than walking into, what is essentially a big group of friends, and being the odd one out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Your DSLR is suitable for any class you may join to learn about photography.
    There are many users on Boards.ie with such camera.
    It appears that you are a bit shy to join a camera club in your area but I bet it wouldn't be as bad as you think. There will be many members just too happy to share their knowledge with you and also there may be some who would not be as "expert" as you think and who will readily admit that.
    Go on , be brave and go for a trial visit.
    Best of luck,
    John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

There actually is a camera club in the town (Drogheda) I believe, but I'd never even consider going near it.

I'd much rather walk into a room full of people who have only just heard that cameras exist, than walk into a room of people who have been using them for ages and know them inside out, and at least if i did an actual course, everyone would be meeting for the first time, rather than walking into, what is essentially a big group of friends, and being the odd one out.

I'd say maybe send them an email, find out if there is an 'open night' or some such, where you can join up with others. It might suit better for you to do this.

I've never heard of the guy you've posted about, he may run a good course, but I'd generally suggest that a club would give you a better opportunity for progression (ie after the course, you still get to stick around).

Check out what's happening in the camera club anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

People come and go all the time in clubs. The more experienced members will help you to learn. It's a bit like posting here for the first time. Just go along to a meeting as a visitor and see if you like it. Clubs do not suit everybody but you don't know until you try. Drogheda is a good club from what I hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

but...but... the OP came on here asking about this photographer's beginners classes... why are people driving him up to the door of the local camera club and dropping him off?? :p

OP, this is just a suggestion but a few years ago i decided to take night classes [non photography, mind] i knew the tutor socially but had no idea if they could teach their way out of a paper bag... SO... i asked her to recommend me a former student that could give me a review so to speak. she had no issues with this whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

artyeva wrote: »
    but...but... the OP came on here asking about this photographer's beginners classes... why are people driving him up to the door of the local camera club and dropping him off?? :p

Camera Clubs usually have photography classes. Well, DCC does anyway. Not sure about Drogheda. There are a good few members from there on here though - DarrenG and Dink spring to mind immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

The Drogheda camera club is full, theres even a waiting list !
    I could be wrong but I think Paul Murray does stuff for the Drogheda Indo.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

There's a camera club in Duleek which is Louth/Meath border and there's one in Dundalk AFAIK - if the OP decides the club is the way to go. I'm in Navan CC and as a beginner I find it a great help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

artyeva wrote: »

artyeva, I would suggest that camera club members would know of any Photography classes in the area and surely "dropping him off" ( NOT ABANDONING HIM ) at a camera club is probably one of the better places to learn more about photography.

• Advertisement

Hey guys,

I appreciate all the help and info you've given me so far.

I got Paul Murray's email address and sent him along an email. Apparently he runs both a "Beginners" and "Absolute Beginners" class, so I gave him an idea of where I stand knowledge-wise and asked which course would he recommend, if any. Haven't heard back yet (I doubt I will until Monday) but I'll see what he says.

Also, I want to publicly thank Chorcai, who PM'ed me offering to try and help me. Cheers man.

Does anyone know of any photography courses in the Drogheda area, or even just known, and worthwhile photographers who would be willing to help out a complete and absolute beginner (in exchange of some €, of course)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    artyeva, I would suggest that camera club members would know of any Photography classes in the area and surely "dropping him off" ( NOT ABANDONING HIM ) at a camera club is probably one of the better places to learn more about photography.

maybe they do, maybe they do.

the OP didn't ask about general photography classes in his opening post though. he asked about a specific person, that's all i was trying to get accross.

and thanks ever so much for using such a large font there. i misplaced my specs today so i'm glad i was able to see your use of sarcasm so clearly ;)

Advertisement