Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Google Chrome for Linux Beta

• 12-12-2009 12:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

Google are advertising a new Google Chrome for Linux Beta, that's great. Well, it would be great, if you didn't have to agree to Google Chrome's 3800 word EULA, before downloading. That means its not free software. So, as far as I'm concerned, Google can hold on to their software, I'll be sticking with Firefox.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

I have been using Chrome for a while and find it very fast compared to Firefox, only complaint I would have is it does not an RSS reader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Just use the Chromium builds OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Will the new google chrome for linux support sandboxing?

If so then wont it offer superior security than the current firefox 3.5.5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I believe it does support sandboxing on linux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

larryone wrote: »
    I believe it does support sandboxing on linux.

Source of this information?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

'Free' software? Like anyone here gives a bollix. I'm off to enjoy my Google Chrome, my nVidia drivers and my official Adobe Flash player.

The Open Source forum is thataway =>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Someone had better tell the FSF that terms and conditions means that software isn't free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tpotter

I tend to agree about sticking with Firefox, but it is more because of the Add-ons and privacy concerns. Although in the case of the former, I know Chrome has add-on support, I just can't imagine them being as open to things like Adblock, which pretty much undermine Google's business plan...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Font rendering is dreadful in Chrome and I can't figure out how to access my bookmarks apart from adding a stupid bookmark bar (which completely negates the whole minimal screen usage thing). Pity, as it's very fast to load and nice and zippy.

Useless as is, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Starting chromium on arch, I dont have to accept anything.

And its a superior browser, the way each tab is a separate process is a good design decision. a faulty plugin doesnt take down the whole browser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Oracle wrote: »
    Google are advertising a new Google Chrome for Linux Beta, that's great. Well, it would be great, if you didn't have to agree to Google Chrome's 3800 word EULA, before downloading. That means its not free software. So, as far as I'm concerned, Google can hold on to their software, I'll be sticking with Firefox.

Doesn't Firefox have a EULA yea agree to before use too?

Did a comparison;
    # cat firefox_EULA | wc
    21 985 6243
    # cat chrome_EULA | wc
    211 3798 23041

Agreed Chrome EULA is long, but who reads the EULA? :)

Don't yea pretty much have to agree to a EULA when using nearly all flavors of *nix?

ARGINITE wrote: »
    I have been using Chrome for a while and find it very fast compared to Firefox, only complaint I would have is it does not an RSS reader.

Believe it has a RSS reader;
    https://chrome.google.com/extensions/search?q=rss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

Problem with Chrome is that the proxy settings are the system proxy settings....

I hate changing them, preferring to use Firefox's autodetect proxy settings, which is pretty bloody good at making with my Uni's network without being told what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

I had a quick play with it and it seems like it has potential alright but I'm starting to veer away from Google on account of privacy concerns, especially after that statement during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I thinks it's nice, especially with the non free codecs
    for html5 video playback. No ****ty flash here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

I don't understand, why does an EULA make it non-free? Do you have to pay to accept it or something?

I don't understand, why does an EULA make it non-free? Do you have to pay to accept it or something?

Tis free to accept it

Basically covers googles arse so yea don't take them to court should it eat your home work if it crashed <- Joke btw

there's different types of freedom, not just that you don't have to pay for it.

Explain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Sean_K wrote: »
    Just use the Chromium builds OP.

Yeah thanks for that, interesting option. The installation instructions are complex and lenghty, not very user friendly. It seems to involve a 800mb download, or is that for the Chromium OS?
    There must be a smaller Chrome browser download, although I can't find it. They really need to call the browser and OS differnent names, its too confusing.

Just search on google for chromium builds. They should be about twenty meg downloads, updated every hour, no need to keep updating more than once a week though. /edit forgot this was Linux forum, i'm not sure if there's builds available and i can't explain the800 meg download. Do major distros have it in package managers yet?

I'll try grab you a link but i'm on a mobile here so it's tricky

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Has anyone found a workaround to the poor font rendering on Chrome?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I found the Ubuntu Beta builds of Chromium and the browser: https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/beta Now I just need to satisfy all the required dependencies before install ..... easy! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Follow this guide and Bob is you uncle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

This is where gentoo rocks out. :)

ohai...emerge chromium please? kthx.

Aha! The following video has explained the concept to me excellently:

Advertisement