Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats mbna like credit cards

Options
  • 12-12-2009 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hi same person going on about debenhams card .
    Same questions basically.
    Whats the difference between there cards? They have 3
    What are they like about accepting you for a credit card?
    just shopping around to get best deal and to deal with nice people thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

MBNA are great as long as you pay your bills......other threads on the matter. Mind you they are probably all the same. Late payment fees etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

MBNA have one of the highest (though not the highest) interest rates on a standard card.

http://www.itsyourmoney.ie/cs_tab_credit_card.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

They were Ok, They have added a lot of Charges lately (like 2.5 euros if you use your card to play lotto).

So if you can avoid the charges and pay bill each month they are ok. Personally I don't like Bank of America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

my preference is to be able to complete my banking online- my current bank allows me to pay my cc bill (which is with the same institution)within 24 hours during a weekday online...they also don't have late payment charges, and their interest rate is less than mbna....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hieveryone

Hi thanks for all your replies really appreciated.
    Do any of you have any experience with tesco credit card?
    And one other thing how much do you have to earn to apply with mbna and tesco ? working part time but earning good enough. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brinepacer

I would avoid MBNA at all costs. I'm sure it's fine if you keep your balance at e0 but i have a few grand on mine and both my interest and repayments go up and down fairly substantially every month. I've tackled them about it and got nothing, in light of today's developments i'm planning on asking for a manual recount of all my interest to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭LauranceB

I'd personally keep away from MBNA. If you miss a payment you will have no end of hassle. I have a Tesco CC and find it great but its not the card for anyone who relies on big cash advances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭romah

According to rte.ie

Credit card company MBNA is to refund around €18m after mistakenly overcharging hundreds of thousands of customers.

The company has reported the matter to the Financial Regulator and has apologised.

Any credit card that carries the name MBNA on the back could be affected by the overcharging. The company's cards are affiliated to EBS, Ryanair, Postbank and AXA.

In some cases interest was mistakenly applied between the date a consumer bought a product and the date it issued a statement to customers.

There was also an error in how it charged for cash withdrawals and for the Government's credit card levy with some of the issues stretching back to 1997. Any customer affected will be repaid money owed plus interest by March 2010. The company says the majority of customers are likely to be refunded around €38 or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I use my credit card mostly for online shopping and when I go abroad

I used to have an MBNA card but got rid of it not long after getting it because:
    1. foreign curency fees were astronomical
    2. Cash withdrawals attract an advance fee, even i the card is in credit

I now use PTSB ICE visa. Must say it was a bit of a pain to set up but am more than happy with it now. I pretty much get mid market exchange rate plus a 1.75% commission fee, but this isn't a sneaky charge. Its there in black and white in the terms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

just in defence of MBNA:

Have a card for years, standard gold card. At one stage I owed several thousands on it. I rang them and told them I was leaving to get a 6month 0% interest deal to help pay off the balance. They lowered my rate over the phone to 10.4% and said they would leave it like that for me. I asked for how long? they said "indefinitely". I have had a zero balance for over a year now, but the rate has stayed at 10.4% since.
    so I just wanted to say, that they were not bad to deal with at all and did their best to accommodate me paying off my balance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement