Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to Live in France? Rennes????

Options
  • 12-12-2009 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Im planning on moving to Rennes in Brittany next september until Christmas at first and hopefully a while longer. Im not definite on Rennes but it looks the most likely.

Ive been doing a bit of reading about it as a city and it seems quite appealing. Appears to have a big student population so id like because im only finishing college myself now. Im looking for somewhere that will have a lively nightlife.

Also because of the big student population im assuming that there are plenty of bars to look for a job in.

Just wondering if anyone has been there on erasmus or could anyone recommend anywhere else to move to in France?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mygsy

TOULOUSE!!! Came here on Erasmus and was such a great city I'm back here permanently now! Great weather, brillant location. Never more than 2 hours from beach, skiing, Spain and lots of touristy things! People are also lovely! Also, has the 2nd greatest student population after Paris even though it's only the 6th biggest city in France....1in4 people here is a student!! Has at least 10 Irish/anglophone pubs so plenty of chances for work!! Venez à la ville rose :)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Mygsy wrote: »
    TOULOUSE!!! Came here on Erasmus and was such a great city I'm back here permanently now! Great weather, brillant location. Never more than 2 hours from beach, skiing, Spain and lots of touristy things! People are also lovely! Also, has the 2nd greatest student population after Paris even though it's only the 6th biggest city in France....1in4 people here is a student!! Has at least 10 Irish/anglophone pubs so plenty of chances for work!! Venez à la ville rose :)!!
    I wish I read this post before I came to crappy Oz! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Mygsy wrote: »

Thanks for that. Sounds exactly what im looking for really. Might do a bit of further research into it.

What kind of accommodation costs are you paying at the minute. Thatll have a big factor on where i decide to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mygsy

You're in OZ unregged, doesn't get much better than that!!!!

At the moment, the boyf and I are paying €800 between us but we decided to get a really nice apartment and pay that bit extra!
    When I was a student I paid €340 a month for a pretty good apart, also if you're quite young and not earning a lot you'll receive CAF so I actually ended up paying 200 or so! but be careful wat time of year you arrive if you come end of sept/start oct all the students are looking for accom as well so itz really hard to find anywhere. also you'll prob get asked for french guarantor when renting if you don't earn 3times your rent so be prepared for that hassle!!

Thanks for all that. Im assuming the CAF is only for Erasmus students though is it? Im hoping to have all my accommodation and work sorted before I get there.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Nantes is another student city. Seems to have a good auls music scene...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

I'd suggest Grenoble. Fantastic.

I'm biased towards Paris but I don't know what it be like for a foreigner from a small country moving there. Might be hard to adjust. Great craic tho LOL

I'd suggest Grenoble. Fantastic.

I'm biased towards Paris but I don't know what it be like for a foreigner from a small country moving there. Might be hard to adjust. Great craic tho LOL

Im not sure about paris. Not sure if im bothered bout such a big city really.

Like the suggestion of grenoble though. I was actually there a few years ago and really liked it. The option of a bit of skiing come the spring aswell. Very nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

ye you need to be conditioned for paris. my mum hated it for so many years. she eventually came around but give her a small irish town anyday.

the girls in grenoble are just omg!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

LILLE !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Rennes is a fantastic city - really wealthy with lovely buildings and a huge student population. As a result it's a party city full of bars.

There's an Irish Bar beside the town hall called O'Connells. It's a nice, authentic bar which hires Irish people.

Rennes is lovely. I'd live there.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Rennes is a fantastic city - really wealthy with lovely buildings and a huge student population. As a result it's a party city full of bars.

There's an Irish Bar beside the town hall called O'Connells. It's a nice, authentic bar which hires Irish people.

Rennes is lovely. I'd live there.

At this stage it looks like rennes for me. Ive been a couple of times before when i was younger and have to say id look forward to walking through it everyday. It is an extremely nice place

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

Id avoid Rennes like the plague, a friend of mine done an erasmus year there and although he had a good time he hated Rennes! said the people in general were horrible, also the nightlife was crap and expensive.

Advertisement