Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to the Isle of Man for a couple of years.... VRT question

• 12-12-2009 1:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I am moving to the IOM in Feb 2010. I plan on buying a new or nearly new Qashqai for about £13500.

If I decide to move back to Ireland in 2 years, do I have to pay VRT?

I've heard conflicting info.
    - You need to own the car for 3 years to avoid VRT
    - You need to own it six months to avoid VRT
    - You need to own it six months AND need to keep it for 12 months on return
    - IOM is outside the EU, so 21% VAT is payable

can someone please set me straight?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

You need to be a resident outside the state for six months, and own the car for six months to register it for free. Then you need to keep the car for at least 12 months before you can sell it on.

I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

You need to be a resident outside the state for six months, and own the car for six months to register it for free. Then you need to keep the car for at least 12 months before you can sell it on.

I think.

All correct ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

3DataModem wrote: »
    If I decide to move back to Ireland in 2 years, do I have to pay VRT?
    I've heard conflicting info...can someone please set me straight?
    - You need to own the car for 3 years to avoid VRT
    BS
    - You need to own it six months to avoid VRT
    BS
    - You need to own it six months AND need to keep it for 12 months on return
    and use it. The Revenue will tell you what paperwork you're expected to have to prove all this and all the paperwork they expect to show you were normally resident outside of the State for the period required.
    - IOM is outside the EU, so 21% VAT is payable
    For VAT purposes the IoM is inside the EU and is the same rate as UK VAT.

See Revenue page HERE about transfer of residence and VRT relief. See European Commission page HERE about VAT status of the IoM.

Hope this clears up any confusion as you've been fed some BS as well! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Excellent - thanks guys.

A no-brainer methinks. Also, I just found out if I finance it on the Isle of Man I get income tax relief on the loan interest.

Sweeeeeet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Have fun on the IOM.

• Advertisement
Advertisement