Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone at the David McWilliams Book launch

Options
  • 12-12-2009 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭

I was at the David McWilliams Book launch tonight, very interesting discussion about our current woes etc....
    Anybody else there and what did you think?

BTW, Andrew McGuinness left very early, I wonder why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Where was it on? I would have loved to have gone to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Where/when was that? I would have been there if i knew it was on.

C'mon lads, keep us informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I would have went besides having a very realistic and intelligent view on the state and future state of ireland he is very entertaining as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

What did he say? I'd have liked to have gone if I'd known it was on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

It was in the "Hole in the Wall" venue at 17 High Street. I'd never been there before, very impressive.
    He was very entertaining. He talked about Ireland exiting the Euro a lot, it made sense and I suppose it's expanded upon in his book. I'll have to wait until X-mas is over before I can get near that.
    I saw the event advertised on his Wednesday article on the online Indo site. He also has his own site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Where/what is the "hole in the wall"? I've never heard of it....

The Hole in the Wall I was in the other night is up a lane beside what was Sasha, it usually has a locked gate so it's easily overlooked on high street. The building itself is a restored tudor similar to Rothe house. I don't know who owns it but I'll try to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I appreciate that David needs to make economics accessible for all of us 'normies' but the level to which he dumbed down the analysis in the last book that I read, and the snooty, snobby way in which it was written left a sour aftertaste which precludes me from reading any more.

His latest show was also complete garbage, and the piece he wrote about Brian Lenihan calling over to him was in very poor taste, I felt.

I have respect for him as an economist, much less so as a social comentator and author.

The bit about Lenihan is interesting because as we know now, the guarentee what was meant to be a temporary measure to "sort out" the problems of the banks, but instead it has been used by the vested interested to keep these broke banks alive at the expense of the nation.
    I mean that in the broadest terms, from cutbacks to expected emigration, this government has repeated the mantra for over a year that we simply must get these broke banks lending again.
    Of course borrowing from the taxpayer to fund a broke lender who supposed to then lend to the tax payer that funds them is a dead end and will gobble up funds for productive use, services.
    The only ones to benifit from this process are those who without the taxpayer underwriting these banks would have been foreclosed upon ages ago.
    McWilliams was asked what he thought about Lenihan's handling of the crisis, he replied in the most diplomatic way that Lenihan seemed to be learning on the job. Oh Christ!
    The banks who should be wound up by now are now running this country with their own future prosperity as their main goal, it's not in their interests how many hospital wards are closed. This government has committed each and everyone of us to ensuring these banks survival.
    I personally don't care who McWilliams insults, the L.E. Titanic has a L Plate driver at the helm and we have yet to hit the panic phase of this economic correction.
    They are acting like lab creatures wacking buttons hoping one of them will release the cheese.
    New Zealand lost all its banks back in the 80s, same population as us, they're still there, life went on. Let the stockholders and bondholders burn, they were never going to share their profits with us so why should we share their loss.
    The value of your investment may go up as well as down, sound familiar?

Advertisement