Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inspiring Display of Defiance at the Fountain

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ileprechaun

Wow, I wish I'd been able to see this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

It doesn't really make sense to say that he wasted the time of the guards. One would have done really.... or even none.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

*yawn, thought it was boring until 2.16 when that fella took the hopper down the fountain:D that one had to hurt!!!

That was by far the best part........jeez he took some hopper alright!!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

This made me miss Cork...
    Btw the underwear coordinate to the Xmas hat is class :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

3 months?

That's lunacy ... not to mention incredibly expensive!

Prisons should be reserved for those who are a danger to society - not people who can't pay fines, dance in fountains or do other minor stupid things.

It's no wonder the prisons are dangerously over-crowded.

Surely something like that warrants a community service order or something really minor!

It seems the justice system here has absolutely no sense of proportion. There are various fraudsters collapsing the economy and walking away without a single charge, child molesting clergy going unpunished and uninvestigated etc etc etc.. drug problems, etc

Meanwhile, they give a guy who gets drunk and dances in a fountain 3 months!

The only person he was putting in danger was himself!!

Talk about lack of priorities!

What a country!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Solair wrote: »
    The only person he was putting in danger was himself

Not true. The reasons why have already been pointed out and ignored by you.

Not true. The reasons why have already been pointed out and ignored by you.

I really cannot see where it was pointed out. They could have cordoned off the area and offered him a ladder. Unless the guy was waving a gun around, I really don't see what the major risk was, other than to himself.

As for jailing him. It costs approximately €100,000 / year to keep someone in prison in Ireland. So, a 3 month sentence costs about €25,000.

Assuming that he's employed, 3 months in prison will probably also cost him his job and he will have serious difficulty finding a new one after a jail sentence. So, you can probably add years of social welfare payments to that bill too.

Where as he could have been given a community service order e.g. maybe 150 hours or something. This would have a net benefit to the community i.e. might get some streets swept, some drains unclogged or whatever.

The guy would be able to fit it around his work schedule and get back to normal.

The state saves probably anything up to €200,000 in the long run and he learns his lesson.

We are using prison for FAR FAR too many stupid offenses.

Those prison places need to be reserved for people who are genuinely a danger to society and/or have committed the most serious offenses. Not for muppets who climb fountains and people who didn't pay their TV or Dog license for their chiwawa!!!

Meanwhile, at the other scale of offenses i.e. serious attacks on people, massive financial crimes, etc people are getting away with pathetically short sentences and/or fines.

Justice has to be reasonable and proportionate and it's certainly not demonstrating that here.

Don't get me started on jailing people for non-payment of debt due to their inability to pay... that's a whole other essay-length post!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I couldn't give a toss if someone dances on top of a fountain for 10 hours or dances through the streets naked but once the emergency services are involved then it crosses a line. Some of us prefer to have these people doing their real jobs and not tied up providing entertainment for a few drunks.

Some people will always lack the intelligence to see the bigger picture and do not understand that incidents like these involving the emergency services do have knock on effects.
    Solair wrote: »
    I really cannot see where it was pointed out.

Up there.

Up there.

I still don't see why this requires a prison sentence at a cost of vast amounts of money.

What's wrong with a community service order or a very large fine?

He's a drunken muppet, not a dangerous criminal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sorry, I know I'm bumping a very old thread

Would anyone know the name of the song that was played for this?
    I tried contacting the youtube user but no reply and the video is take down now

Just I watched the video many times, mainly for the music but I never did find out the band or song

Any help appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

If memory serves me correctly I think that the song was by Cork band 'Hope Is Noise'. I can't remember which song it was though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Very helpful, found it
    You've some memory to remember back to 2009

Hope is Noise
    Under Friendly Fire
    Speak over you

Wasn't aware they were an Irish band
    http://hopeisnoise.bandcamp.com/

Tune bought online :)

Advertisement