Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Assignments

• 12-12-2009 2:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭

So you spend a few weeks working on an assignment and wait until the last few minutes to hand it in as you want to make sure it's perefect in ever way, well as perfect as you can make it. However, you mix up the deadline time as you have a few assignments to submit on the same day and see that the submission deadline was 4pm and not 4.30pm. You can not submit the assignment and that's the end of that. No excuses, no way back. The student emails the lecturer the assignment and asks them to accept the assignment, explaining their situation.

So, is this the way things should be? Departments vary a lot, from the English dept. where you get away with a few days overdue to the Economics dept. where you cannot go a second over the deadline.

Would you as a lecturer make an exception for a person in this scenario or simply say tough luck, the rules regarding assignment deadlines were explained at the start of the year and no one student can be given special allowances?..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

K4t wrote: »
    Would you as a lecturer make an exception for a person in this scenario or simply say tough luck, the rules regarding assignment deadlines were explained at the start of the year and no one student can be given special allowances?..

Yeah, I'd be of the "ah, sure it's only a little bit over, and I won't get around to even looking at it for another few days/weeks, it wouldn't make a difference if it wasn't late", but then the whole "you knew the rules, them's the rules" argument makes a ton of sense. I guess them's the rules.

I handed in a Philosophy essay two days late last week (was sick), and told my tutor about it, just wanting to know what sort of sanction would be applied (I wasn't trying to get away with it or anything), and she just said, "Oh, I'll explain it to the department, it'll be fine". Nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Wait... 30 minutes late?

If was I a lecturer I'd probably give a day of leeway time.

I've not been stung yet by the college muhahaha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Holsten wrote: »
    Wait... 30 minutes late?

If was I a lecturer I'd probably give a day of leeway time.

I've not been stung yet by the college muhahaha!
    5 minutes late. Submission via moodle but it was closed. Got in a complete muddle as I also had an economics assignment due for 6.30pm. Very annoying considering the amount of work I put into the assignment and it's not as if I hadn't it done one time. I had it doen the night before!

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd be of the "ah, sure it's only a little bit over, and I won't get around to even looking at it for another few days/weeks, it wouldn't make a difference if it wasn't late", but then the whole "you knew the rules, them's the rules" argument makes a ton of sense. I guess them's the rules.
    That's fair enough I suppose and leaves us in good stead for when we get jobs after college concerning punctuation and deadlines. However, this was a genuine mistake borne out of nothing short of sleep deprivation and a terrible mistake regarding times. And not a matter of not having the work done. That is the real killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

This is why the essay boxes rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

im quite lucky, i have music english and phil, they all give leeway, i think thats the best way, 30 minutes leesay yknow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

The economics dpt is very strict..:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I do agree with deadlines, I think its a case of "if we let one....etc"

But I also think accidents/good reasons will happen for assignments being late. Which is why I agree with the Music Dpt's new way of dealing with this:

if your assignment is late, use a mitigating circumstances coversheet and you case will be put forward to the mitigating circumstances board during exam time.

Generally though, there is a certain percentage taken off for a certain passage of time that it is late, eg. A day late = 10% off the mark you receive etc.

Now, it is a new dealio and this january will be its maiden voyage, so it remains to be seen if it is effective.

God I'm drunk.

It looks like my other end of semester economics assignment won't be accepted either even though it was on time. Apparently my file type can't be read on the college computers. I'll wait to hear back on whether they'll let me submit it again but I won't keep my hopes up.
    This is all very disheartening I must admit considering the amount of work I put into these and the stress induced!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

I'm so sorry to hear about that k4t:( I had a similar problem with a late assignment in business, but then, they aren't as strict:(

Well, it's just 10 % :) You'll be grand;) Just study and do well on the exam.

Good luck
    /John

Wendero wrote: »
    I'm so sorry to hear about that k4t:( I had a similar problem with a late assignment in business, but then, they aren't as strict:(

Well, it's just 10 % :) You'll be grand;) Just study and do well on the exam.

Good luck
    /John
    Hey man! Thanks, yeah it's disappointing considering the amount of time it took to do them, staying up till all hours lol! I will indeed have to study extra hard over Christmas now!
    How are things with you, are you going home for Christmas?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    music english and phil, they all give leeway
    Do they?
    Last year they didn´t!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

15-30 minutes over shouldn't be a problem, in my opinion. However, I have seen some examples of people getting extensions on their essays for the softest of reasons (including "it's too hard!! :("), that kind of stuff annoys me. No point in anyone following the rules if people are just going to be granted exceptions for any reason they can come up with.

Advertisement