Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

250GB Elite?

• 12-12-2009 2:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭

Been a PC/Nintendo gamer for years and finally decided to pick up a second console and settled on an Elite as opposed to the PS3. So I'm looking to pick up a 360 this weekend and was all set for the 250GB Elite deal in Smyths Airside (250GB w/ MW2, extra controller and additional game for €300) until I discovered that they were out of stock. Checked in Harvey Norman's and was informed "there is no 250GB 360"... Went to Gamestop and the guy reckoned there was no point getting the 250GB as roughly half of it was system reserved and in his opinion MS have no intention of changing that (they did have some of the Forza 3 250GB deals though but I'm not really a racing fan, apparently you can trade in the game for €28 though). So I've have a look online and can't find any confirmation of the system reserved HDD space; is it true and if not would it be worth holding out for the 250GB or is it really limited and perhaps won't be re-stocked? I've been thinking the 120GB would probably be more than enough space anyway, but is there something coming down the line that I'm not aware of which might avail of the extra space? 120GB is probably 16-20 games worth of space in fairness.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

only a small amount of space is reserved for System Updates it about 10-14 gigs

Apparently the MW2 Pack was limited to 100,000 and have sold out

I cant remember where i saw this but you can get the forza pack for €270 so you could trade it in forza and get a new game with the extra €30

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Yea the guy in Gamestop was definately over stating how much is reserved on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Over 120 GBs reserved for the system? I think that lad from GameStop was talking out of his a*se!

I got the 60GB Premium console and I'm pretty sure that I had something like 48 GBs free out of the box but I think that potentially, there would at least be another 3-5 more GBs which I could free up if I deleted demos (TDU, Viva Pinata and some other game + Arcade games which wouldn't take up much on their own but would take up a fair bit if added together) so I'd say you'd at least have 235-240 GBs free.

If you don't fancy getting the games bundled, you could consider buying the Arcade edition and the 250 GB HDD separately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I'm using the 250GB and I've got access to most of the drive. I've 170GB left (game installs 70GB)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

Thanks a mil for the replies lads, the crap sales people will tell you never ceases to amaze me.

• Advertisement

Its more likely the sales person hadn't got a clue most games shop arent gamers and haven't got a clue about the items they sell :rolleyes:

Well that's what I was insinuating of course!

Feck it, think I'll go for the deal in Harvey Norman's - 120GB, any two new games, extra controller and 3 months gold membership for €300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

I bought the 250 forza edition from Smyths (last in stock:D). If you want the 250 harddrive, go for it and trade forza in. At least you'll have plenty of space for future installs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭The Aviator

Shred wrote: »
    Been a PC/Nintendo gamer for years and finally decided to pick up a second console and settled on an Elite as opposed to the PS3. So I'm looking to pick up a 360 this weekend and was all set for the 250GB Elite deal in Smyths Airside (250GB w/ MW2, extra controller and additional game for €300) until I discovered that they were out of stock. Checked in Harvey Norman's and was informed "there is no 250GB 360"... Went to Gamestop and the guy reckoned there was no point getting the 250GB as roughly half of it was system reserved and in his opinion MS have no intention of changing that (they did have some of the Forza 3 250GB deals though but I'm not really a racing fan, apparently you can trade in the game for €28 though). So I've have a look online and can't find any confirmation of the system reserved HDD space; is it true and if not would it be worth holding out for the 250GB or is it really limited and perhaps won't be re-stocked? I've been thinking the 120GB would probably be more than enough space anyway, but is there something coming down the line that I'm not aware of which might avail of the extra space? 120GB is probably 16-20 games worth of space in fairness.

Cheers.

I Purchased the 250 Gig super xbox 360 Elite with forza 3,WWE 2010, and 2 black controllers,which is better than the MW2 Edition because the console is not ruined by the awful paint job on the MW2 edition which will be outdated afer xmas! Harvery normans lied to you, there is loads of 250 Gig elites available,the Gamestop assistant also LIED to you, this just shows how un-knowledgeable the staff in Gamestop are. The HDD is 250 Gig with about 240 Gig available!!! In my opinion the 250 Gig super elite is a much better buy than the 120 Gig , Your getting twice the memory, 2 controllers and a premium game! It is certain that these bundles are only for a limited time, take my advice and get one as soon as you can. Microsoft will not release consoles like these again any time soon! They are available in HMV, Gamestop, Smyths, Xtra vision ( I think) and online!

NTMK wrote: »
    Its more likely the sales person hadn't got a clue most games shop arent gamers and haven't got a clue about the items they sell :rolleyes:

Totally agree with you! Im going to create a thread about '' How unprofessional and stupid the majority of Gamestop assistants are '' Please share some info on it , Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

94793.jpg
    See above! Thats a fresh drive with nothing installed!

No its not, i have a significant amount of more memory on mine, delete all game demos, music, videos, etc.

Shred wrote: »
    Well that's what I was insinuating of course!

Feck it, think I'll go for the deal in Harvey Norman's - 120GB, any two new games, extra controller and 3 months gold membership for €300.

I picked this up in Harvey Normans this evening and have been playing it since.

Thanks to everyone for their help/input.

Mods - this thread can be closed if you so wish, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

NTMK wrote: »
    ... or that he knew they were out of 250gb consoles and wanted to sway you to a 120gb model...

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    ... or that he knew they were out of 250gb consoles and wanted to sway you to a 120gb model...

... or he had no idea sure when i was pre-ordering the 250 GS in the Parkway had no idea about it but the GS in Town was taking pre-orders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

No its not, i have a significant amount of more memory on mine, delete all game demos, music, videos, etc.

The actual capacity of a 250GB drive is more like 232GB in real terms anyway... That figure seems about right if you include demos and the swap partitions

The shop assistant was talking out of his rear end anyways

Advertisement