Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So my sister got a Windows 7 Upgrade CD...

• 12-12-2009 3:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

For her Dell Inspiron laptop. She also got a Dell setup CD for drivers to use before the Dell Windows 7 CD. The laptop is running Vista Home Premium and her update is to Windows 7 Premium too.

I have a laptop running Vista Home Premium and would like to upgrade. My laptop isn't a Dell, though. Can I still use the CD she has?

If so, what drivers will I need to get or set up?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

I wouldn't use it.

Even if it works you probably wont be able to activate W7 after installing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭itchyblood

Cheers mate. Anyone else think differently, or have any other advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 mc01a

no they won't work, you will have to get your own drivers,
    what laptop do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Even if it worked (which it probably won't) it would be illegal. So don't expect any advice on it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭itchyblood

mc01a wrote: »
    no they won't work, you will have to get your own drivers,
    what laptop do you have?

Medion MD 96290.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 mc01a

you will have to go on to there site, log in or enter the serial number on the bottom of your laptop, find you laptop and download the drivers from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

mc01a wrote: »
    you will have to go on to there site, log in or enter the serial number on the bottom of your laptop, find you laptop and download the drivers from there

Some of those Windows 7 upgrade CDs include laptop specific BIOS updates.

There is no way you should do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

The upgrade license can be applied to any PC, it's just like an OEM version.

Once license is applied to your PC you cannot put it on another PC.

Just check that your PC manufacturer has drivers for Windows 7, although most vista drivers work with Windows7

Don't install the driver update disc, just run the upgrade.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Bear in mind that while you may be able to complete the installation process, you don't have a licence that allows you to do this. You may not care now, but the activation process may flag an alert based on using the same upgrade key on two machines and cause problems for both your own and your sister's laptop.

The correct way to proceed would be to buy your own upgrade licence - if you're a student, for example, you can get it for pretty cheap.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

itchyblood wrote: »
    Cheers mate. Anyone else think differently, or have any other advice?
    advice ?*Read the charter esp. the bit about software you own ;)

Tweaking Vista will speed it up (read the stickies ), apart from Direct X 10 and some eye candy that's the main difference between vista and 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,015 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Your smartest option is get a student upgrade license or if theyre still available grab a Family Pack (these have already sold out stateside and theyre a great deal). Or get a normal upgrade license, which will cost you twice as much.

Advertisement