Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa vs Man Utd match thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Holsten wrote: »
    If Villa get anything at all out of this game I'll eat my hat!
    Can you post a video please :D

Looking forward to premier soccer saturday for the first time in ages :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Quandary

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Talk of nails and coffins in December is pretty silly tbh.

Im just lashing out at our age old enemy like all bitter Utd fans do :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Well done Villa, United played well but just couldn't make the final killer pass, apart from that I'm happy enough with our performance. Roll on next game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Jazzy wrote: »
    OMG WHY DID ALEX FERGUSON SIGN OWEN HARGREAVES WITH THE INJURY RECORD HE HAS AND HES BEEN INJURED ALL SEASON

It's because he has a nice smile & a little twinkle in his eye. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Its not such a huge jump when you come out with stuff like this... re:Liverpool v United.

Yes, me trying to explain someone else's logic for being positive (I think that that was the context in which that post was made) ranks up there with the Liverpool thread being throlled by idiots making broad sweeping statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Can you post a video please :D
    ''

+1

RasTa wrote: »
    lol at all the Pool fans in this thread.

We'll see ye all in the pool match thread tomorrow :p

Quandary wrote: »
    Im just lashing out at our age old enemy like all bitter Utd fans do :)

Lash away, just keep in mind that we're not all bitter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Looking forward to premier soccer saturday for the first time in ages :pac:

That's more of a reflection on Liverpools season than todays game isn't it.:D

Yes, me trying to explain someone else's logic for being positive (I think that that was the context in which that post was made) ranks up there with the Liverpool thread being throlled by idiots making broad sweeping statements.

You shouldn't talk about Pool fans like that. Tut.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Well done Villa, United played well but just couldn't make the final killer pass, apart from that I'm happy enough with our performance. Roll on next game.

I think there's plenty happy with that performance tbh!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Er, yes actually it is. Days like today are a welcome break from the turgid reality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

every little victory.

utd were poor and the possesion stat flatters them. they'll definately bounce back tho and i pity the poor wolves on tuesday. i see a good 4 - 0 there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

spockety wrote: »
    Though I agree with your point to an extent, this is a match thread, not a team superthread.

It's still the same thing to be fair.
    Bandit12 wrote:
    If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.

Oh I can take the heat. It's the hypocrisy that I find unpleasant. Stick the boot in by all means. We deserved the loss and the stick that comes with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

fair play, this is a good summation of how utd fans should feel after that.

giving respect to Villa, and recgnise utd did well, without having that final bit of something, on this occasion, that you need against a defence at the top of its game.

I thought United played pretty well.. Villa got the goal against the run of play. Bit of dodgy defending at both ends in the first half.

2nd half, you gotta credit Villa for being well organised defensively - United unlucky not to have equalised - shot cleared off the line, Berba missing a sitter, but some days you don't get the breaks.

Either way, I'm off to the pub in a bit, so happy days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

About as much logic used in that as there as in the similar comments you made when liverpool lost their fourth. So were you wrong then or wrong now?

How about right then and right now? Context changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

lol at all the United fans lol'ing at all the Liverpool fans in this thread lol'ing.
    What are you lolling at?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Aidric wrote: »
    What are you lolling at?

I find irony unusually hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So lets turn this into yet another United vs Liverpool thread then. Don't worry about the Villa fans and neutrals, you guys just take over the thread. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Bit pathetic the way theres 4 Liverpool fan posts for every one of United's. The same fans that were complaining about United fans posting on the Liverpool thread.

This aside, fair play to Villa, thats one of the best defensive performances ive ever seen. They deserved the win after stopping wave after wave of Uniteds attacks.

I find ironing unusually hilarious.

Have my shirt ready in 10 minutes so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

PHB wrote: »
    How about right then and right now? Context changes.

The context has not changed, either you were talking rubbish then or you are now. It is fairly simple. It is not yet Jan and four games lost, the same as the Pool when 4 games were lost. Go on, it is easy, you can be wrong sometimes, on this occasion you have been caught out, hold your hands up, move on.....

If the context has changed then obviously you could be wrong on both occasions too yeah. I think that is more likely if anything.

Or could it be because you are only not saying it now because it is your team? I never thought of that, bloody hell. Fan in double standards shocker!!!11!one!1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Well played Villa , great performance imo. I thought we struggled a bit to break them down but didn't play too badly.

Can we have enough about who is posting in what thread ffs , it's gone beyond a joke now.It's a football forum where we are all entitled to post wherever we want whenever we want...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Villa were class I thought.

Fully deserving of their victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

The context has not changed, either you were talking rubbish then or you are now. It is fairly simple. It is not yet Jan and four games lost, the same as the Pool when 4 games were lost. Go on, it is easy, you can be wrong sometimes, on this occasion you have been caught out, hold your hands up, move on.....

If the context has changed then obviously you could be wrong on both occasions too yeah. I think that is more likely if anything.

Could it not be a case whereby CLUB A has a smaller and lesser quality squad than CLUB B, and if CLUB A loses X amount of games come October, CLUB B loses X amount of games come December.....that it could be tougher for CLUB A than CLUB B??

Just a possibility. Either way I think its childish and stupid to continue an argument like that here.

Well done Villa. Unlucky United. Valencia poor, Carrick not much better. Felt sorry for Rooney (even though he did go down without being touched in the first half - hate that sh!t) Evra and Vidic who I thought played well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

RasTa wrote: »
    lol at all the Pool fans in this thread.

lol at all the Utd fans in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Great result for villa fans today....
    Well dunne:p

Great feeling to get one over Utd!! ENJOY it,,ye deserve it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

eagle eye wrote: »
    So lets turn this into yet another United vs Liverpool thread then. Don't worry about the Villa fans and neutrals, you guys just take over the thread. :rolleyes:

Jaysus, these types of posts are beyond ridiculous. The concept of "taking over a thread" is hilarious. If you have something to say about Villa or how this game relates to a neutral team not called Liverpool fire away and post it. You never know, if your post is interesting enough the forum may just discuss it with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

An absolute disgrace!3 minutes of added time after all substitutions and injuries to villa players.I spoke to a few utd fans at the everton game and they were convinced that there is a conspiracy going on in the fa to screw us out of the title.I didnt agree then but now i definitely do.
    And also,why the hell was giggsy taken off?Did he get a knock?I mean,who do you want on the field giggs or park?
    Im off to the pub in a few minutes to drown my sorrows.
    Depressing times:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Anthony16 wrote: »
    An absolute disgrace!3 minutes of added time after all substitutions and injuries to villa players.I spoke to a few utd fans at the everton game and they were convinced that there is a conspiracy going on in the fa to screw us out of the title.I didnt agree then but now i definitely do.
    And also,why the hell was giggsy taken off?Did he get a knock?I mean,who do you want on the field giggs or park?
    Im off to the pub in a few minutes to drown my sorrows.

Oh dear god that's embarrassing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

As a United fan who watched the match - United were attacking regularly but with a mixture of poor finishing and sloppy passing and with Villa defending well and keeping a secure lead in both halfs -- they deserved the win. United should have done better considering what they were coming into but I knew Villa would put up a fight.

As for those going on about how great a feeling it is - perhaps so, but we cant help it if we have a great team that does very well mostly. Learn from us :P

EDIT: To add, I dont think United would have scored with more injury time. Did feel it was short, but that happens to others a lot. **** happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Well done Villa. As Fergie said after the match, just one of those days when the ball won't go in. Performance by United was decent.

Amused by some of the comments in here. Gonna be a long season for some posters with no meaningful games till the cup starts I suppose.:pac:

Look, EVERYONE should be happy tonight - Villa moved into 3rd, United are a close 2nd to Chelsea & Liverpool are, ehm... 7th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Johner wrote: »
    Oh dear god that's embarrassing.
    Well I'll be brutally honest, alot of posts here are very embarrassing.
    & Liverpool are, ehm... 7th.
    meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Osu wrote: »
    If Villa finish in the top 4 I'll kill myself. Such an backwards team.

I'd say CHD will be supporting Villa for the rest of the season, so!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Well done Villa. Utd missed an opportunity today. head in hands stuff for a lot of the match. so many bad final balls. Villa with some very commited defending. Not too much damage done in terms of title race luckily. Ominous signs though. need to step up.

Park was poor. Anderson was slow on possession. We need a RB and Fletcher to play in the middle of the park. Thought we should have started with 2 up front. Giggs was very frustrating in the 1st half when he was on. Awful dive from Rooney.

3 minutes injury time I thought was really odd considering how much time was wasted with villa injuries but Utd shouldn't require stoppage time to get their results.

Bad day at the office. next.......

there is a conspiracy going on in the fa to screw us out of the title.

This is very true. I heard before the match that the FA paid Martin O'Neil to win the game today, and look what happened. It's all very sinister.

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    Just a possibility. Either way I think its childish and stupid to continue an argument like that here.

And yet here you are.

Anyway, I do think United have more concerns that just this game, the way the played today was awful. Yes they did have a lot of possession but they were allowed it. Villa were more than happy to give Man U the possession as they were fairly confident that nothing would happen with it. Toothless and without backbone, a lot like Liverpool are when our best players are out. Noe where was that lad who was saying something along the lines of "Are you watching in Anfield, here is how to deal with an injury crisis" ?

Wolves is not going to be as easy a game as people are making out, they did well today and defended well to get their win too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Jaysus, these types of posts are beyond ridiculous. The concept of "taking over a thread" is hilarious. If you have something to say about Villa or how this game relates to a neutral team not called Liverpool fire away and post it. You never know, if your post is interesting enough the forum may just discuss it with you.
    So you prefer that this thread becomes a slinging mudfest than actually discussing the match?

:eek:

wtf?

Villa were more than happy to Give United the possession as they were fairly confident that nothing would happen with it.

WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Up the Villa!

Everything about this Villa team that was missing in this fixture last season like cool heads were there today, bout time we beat this lot.

Kudos to everyone one of the lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

/tinfoil hat on ...

:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

the way the played today was dire. Yes they did have a lot of possession but they were allowed it. Villa were more than happy to Give United the possession as they were fairly confident that nothing would happen with it.

Oh come on. You cant actually believe any of that absolute bull**** you just posted. I mean, you really think Villa didnt mind United having all of the possession at home and Villa defending the slimmest of leads?

And United werent "dire" by any stretch today. It was really just a final ball that was missing and some poor finishing, which happens on occasions.

Stop embarrassing yourself. You generally post some good stuff but the above is pure and utter tripe.

WTF?
    It's fairly simple. In the second half, most of what Villa did was head/hoof the ball clear and straight back to Man U, if they were all that worried they would have tried to hold on to the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's fairly simple. In the second half, most of what Villa did was head/hoof the ball clear and straight back to Man U, if they were all that worried they would have tried to hold on to the ball.

Well Martin O'Neill was going absolutely berzerk in the final seconds for a guy who, if your theory is correct, was watching his team's gameplan go swimmingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

LOL. More ****e.

Hoofing the ball out of the back is the no.1 indicator of a team scared of losing it in their own half and conceding. You see it at all levels. You trying to convey it as some sort of super tactic is pathetic and shows a complete lack of knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

And yet here you are.

Anyway, I do think United have more concerns that just this game, the way the played today was awful. Yes they did have a lot of possession but they were allowed it. Villa were more than happy to give Man U the possession as they were fairly confident that nothing would happen with it. Toothless and without backbone, a lot like Liverpool are when our best players are out. Noe where was that lad who was saying something along the lines of "Are you watching in Anfield, here is how to deal with an injury crisis" ?

Wolves is not going to be as easy a game as people are making out, they did well today and defended well to get their win too.

Just because you tell yourself this to make you feel better about your teams embarrassing plight, doesn't make it true.;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement