Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC will not boot after installing new ram

Options
  • 12-12-2009 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

I'm having a problem with a friends Dell dimension 4500( yeah it's old). I bought a 512mb DDR ram stick as it had only a 256mb of ram. Inserted the new ram in the second slot and since then the pc will not boot. The monitor remains blank, power light is working on the pc, and drives and fans appear to power up.
    Reverted back to just the old ram stick and still nothing on the screen. I checked that all cards and cables are seated properly.

Starting to lose the will to live, so any help would be bloody marvelous.:mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

Hmmm...

Just a couple of thoughts for you?

- Did you click the RAM in all the way correctly?

- Static? Maybe you blown a circuit?

- Maybe because its so old, tinking with it has push it over the limit, it might of been on its way out?

If the old RAM doesn't work when put back in it, it sounds like its probably bit the bullet!

Good luck with it! Hope you get it fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

Maybe try leaving out the 256 stick and put the 512 in the first slot. Maybe a compatibility issue? Been there so wish you the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

Thanks lads... I've tried every combo as suggested. Maybe something has bit the bullet. Anyway that'll teach me about the dangers of trying to help!!

Anywho, a cup of tea, then back at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

clacks wrote: »
    I'm having a problem with a friends Dell dimension 4500( yeah it's old). I bought a 512mb DDR ram stick as it had only a 256mb of ram. Inserted the new ram in the second slot and since then the pc will not boot. The monitor remains blank, power light is working on the pc, and drives and fans appear to power up.
    Reverted back to just the old ram stick and still nothing on the screen. I checked that all cards and cables are seated properly.

Starting to lose the will to live, so any help would be bloody marvelous.:mad::mad:

Take out the 256MB stick. Leave the 512MB in slot 1. Buy another 512 to bring up to a gig if you like and place in slot 2.

RAM is very delicate and will only work with other identical RAM. It never works with different types, never.

Maximum memory 1 GB

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4500/specs.htm#1101572

Thanks for that. The problem is when I revert back to the single stick of 256gb that was working, I get no boot screen(absoloutely nothing). Puzzling indeed.
    Cluster wrote: »
    Take out the 256MB stick. Leave the 512MB in slot 1. Buy another 512 to bring up to a gig if you like and place in slot 2.

RAM is very delicate and will only work with other identical RAM. It never works with different types, never.

Maximum memory 1 GB

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4500/specs.htm#1101572

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Make sure all the cables are well plugged into the motherboard. You might have tipped one or one might have come out when doing the ram upgrade.

Did u put the ram in the correct way? U can put them in the wrong way its very hard to do so but can be done. This will kill the motherboard.

Did u notice any funny smell when you first started the computer after fitting the new ram?

If you are sure the ram was inserted correctly, then check all the cables. Can always unplug everything and start the machine to see if u get a beep.

Reset the motherboard by removing the bat in motherboard for 5mins. Or you can do it by the jumpers if you know what your looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

clacks wrote: »
    Thanks for that. The problem is when I revert back to the single stick of 256gb that was working, I get no boot screen(absoloutely nothing). Puzzling indeed.

Make sure its in the correct slot. There maybe a diagram on the inside of the PC casing that will show you where to put the RAM.

Its strange that it hasnt worked with the original RAM. Will it work with the new RAM on its own?

Cluster wrote: »
    Make sure its in the correct slot. There maybe a diagram on the inside of the PC casing that will show you where to put the RAM.

Its strange that it hasnt worked with the original RAM. Will it work with the new RAM on its own?

Cluster are you listening to the guy at all?! The PC will not boot with either memory module in any configuration. Jeez

Ok. As bad charlie said you need to reset the Bios by removing the motherboard battery or by clearing the cmos. the cmos is two small pins somewhere on the board that are marked CMOS. Use a paperclip to short that. Then try restarting with original ram stick in the *slot it was in in the first place.
    If this doesnt work it is very likely you have damaged it with static discharge, or damaged the board with same. What speed DDR does the board take and what did speed did you buy?

BadCharlie wrote: »
    Make sure all the cables are well plugged into the motherboard. You might have tipped one or one might have come out when doing the ram upgrade.

Did u put the ram in the correct way? U can put them in the wrong way its very hard to do so but can be done. This will kill the motherboard.

Did u notice any funny smell when you first started the computer after fitting the new ram?

If you are sure the ram was inserted correctly, then check all the cables. Can always unplug everything and start the machine to see if u get a beep.

Reset the motherboard by removing the bat in motherboard for 5mins. Or you can do it by the jumpers if you know what your looking for.

Thanks for the advice. While fitting the new ram I thought I got a faint burning smell, thought it was my imagination, until you mentioned it. I've checked all the cables and taken out the cmos battery, so there's a good chance it's gone to pc heaven.
    There's definitely still power going to the motherboard as there is a green light working, and the fan spins. Is there anything else worth trying? Really appreciate everybody's help on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Sounds like motherboard is dead to me :(
    At least it was an old machine.

• Advertisement

BadCharlie wrote: »
    Sounds like motherboard is dead to me :(
    At least it was an old machine.
    Thanks for the help man. Unfortunately an old "not mine" pc. I reckon I'll fake my own death and just lay low for a few months.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Do you get any BIOS beep codes ?

Beep Codes Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Disconnect all cables going to hardrives,cdrom and dvd.Take out the graphics card, if you have an old pci graphics card try that.IF mobo is faulty it could damage the card you put in.DOES the num lock/cap locks keyboard leds come on when you press em.
    WELL you could replace the mobo ,if the metal mobo risers, dont fit ,make sure the new mobo DOES NOT touch the metal case underneath.
    Label all the cables for fan, leds, reset,power on.off.
    ITS possible the existing graphics card is just dead.
    A NEW MOBO with cpu is pretty cheap ,especially amd cpu/mobo s.plug in an amp to the green connector , to the audio out, do you get 3 or 4 beeps.

Advertisement