Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ubuntu 9.10 issue

• 12-12-2009 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi

I have a Inspiron 1721 laptop with vista currently installed and have repartitioned the drive so the primary drive has 4 partitions

partition 1 NTFS......Vista still working btw
    partition 2 linux swap partiton
    partition 3 ext3
    partition 4 ext3

All the linux partitions were created after booting from the Ubuntu install CD. It is noted I was able to boot into Ubuntu from the ubuntu cd and connect to my wireless network and browse the web so there didnt seem any apparent obvious errors. When I try to run the full install and get past the keyboard,locale and time selection screen a blank "select the partition screen" is presented and I cant proceed any further. I presume at this point I should be presented with a list of my brand new linux partitions. I have tried adding a parameter to the install to turn off a filter for unmounted volumes but I dont think that worked.

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers

grasscutter

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

I had a similar issue few weeks back. I too had vista and ubuntu 9.10. First i formatted the entire drive. Then i put vista on one drive and ubuntu on another. But when i installed ubuntu i got a GRUB installation error-ubuntu would not install despite the fact it worked fine as a live cd.

Im not really sure why this is but when i replaced vista with windows xp, ubuntu 9.10 did install on the second drive. Do you really need windows vista?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭grasscutter

thanks for the reply. I also tried installing linux to the 2nd drive on the Inspiron 1721 without any success as well. My preference would be for the config gods to deliver the "change this setting and all will be well" solution.

cheers

grasscutter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Hymm try posting your question here https://launchpad.net/ubuntu . They should know exactly what to do.

thanks will do. I will post the same question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Were the partitions created during the Ubuntu install process, from reading your post I guess not?

Try deleting the ext3 and swap partitions [9.10 uses ext4 by default] and setting them up in the installer.

• Advertisement

ARGINITE wrote: »
    Were the partitions created during the Ubuntu install process, from reading your post I guess not?

Try deleting the ext3 and swap partitions [9.10 uses ext4 by default] and setting them up in the installer.

I will give that a go thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

it will not work with 02 meteor or vodafone modems what so ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭shift

I installed Ubuntu 9.10 about 2 weeks ago. It took me along time to get the wireless working. There were alot of issues with getting the broadcom network drivers working (which come as standard to most dells). They sorted it in the updates, all you need to do now is stick in an R5 cable and install the updates from System->Administration->Update Manager. Then go to Administration->Hardware Drivers and enable your wireless driver.

I am dual booting with windows 7. I just installed that first, used the disk management function to allocate some space for Ubuntu- then select the use largest continuous disk space option when installing Ubuntu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭BOZG

cable842 wrote: »

Definitely works with Meteor Huawei E180 modems, once you've initially registered via Windows.

From what I can remember, I didn't even need to change any default settings. Just selected Meteor and it worked fine.

still no joy after posting on that launchpad website. I think I am going to giveup

• Advertisement

Never give up!

Have you tested the cd for errors using the option on the cd menu?

Can you give as more information about the problem?

ARGINITE wrote: »
    Never give up!

Have you tested the cd for errors using the option on the cd menu?

Can you give as more information about the problem?

yep I did that and also confirmed the image was good by calcaulating the md5 checksum was the same as the posted one on the unbuntu website.

Problem Description:
    Its just basically that once the installation is started and the locale information is set the select partition wizard screen loads and there is basically just an empty list. If I then select next the message "no root file system is defined please create from the partition menu. If I right click on the empty partition screen I get an menu option to revert which is enabled. Selecting revert does nothing.

cheers

grasscutter

ps I also tried creating the partition as ext4 as you had suggested

Have you created a partition called "/"?
    Without the quote marks.

What partitions can you create?
    Can you create any?

Might be a few hours before I get back to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

cable842 wrote: »

Irrelevant, but also untrue.
    Not only will Ubuntu 9.10 work out of the box with most O2 and Vodafone modems - as well as 3 and Meteor - it'll do the same with many mobile phones on a USB cable, and offer you the choice of which Network you want to connect to with the following list:
    Meteor
    o2(contract)
    o2(prepay)
    Three Ireland
    Vodafone (GPRS/EDGE/UMTS) (old)
    Vodafone (HSDPA/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS)
    Vodafone(prepay)
    Any of these can be set up with a few clicks, and the network wizard is launched a few moments after plugging in the modem or phone.
    Two year ago it was more difficult, but not at all on an up date distro.

As to the original question, I think Arginite is on the right track wih the '/'.
    Accept the defaults during the install unless you've got a really good reason not to.

Hi

I am going to see my buddy at work to see if he can sort it for me. I will post any solution that materialises

cheers

grasscutter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

try downloading the gparted live cd. version 0.4.6-1 appears to be the latest one that works properly with ntfs.

boot up with this, and check to see if you can see the partitions correctly.

is there a second harddrive installed somehow? there would be a drop down box to change that.

in the ubuntu install, it may not show the drives in the same order, sda may be sdb depending on the boot cd, and I do not know if there is an option to change that, or which one that you are looking at.

Advertisement