Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welfare cuts? What cuts?

Options
  • 12-12-2009 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭wicklaman83

are you on social welfare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Most people just wanna fight with the government because you could never be happy with a decision taken by FF.TBH i was expecting ALOT worse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

The social welfare bill may have decreased by 4% but it will affect individuals differently so some will be taking a large hit while others will be relatively ok. Averages distort reality unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

I was on the dole for the first 8 months of this year and I can tell you that when you're on the dole every penny counts. The bank still want their mortgage payment every month and the credit union need that car loan paid back so if you manage to save a few quid on groceries there are plenty of other things in your life that wil absorb the cash pretty arn quickly.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I just hope my employer doesn't apply the same logic to my pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

waraf wrote: »
    I was on the dole for the first 8 months of this year and I can tell you that when you're on the dole every penny counts. The bank still want their mortgage payment every month and the credit union need that car loan paid back so if you manage to save a few quid on groceries there are plenty of other things in your life that wil absorb the cash pretty arn quickly.

If it's enough to buy you a house and a car then there's something wrong. Many of the people contributing the taxes to pay for the dole can't afford those things.

Stark wrote: »
    If it's enough to buy you a house and a car then there's something wrong. Many of the people contributing the taxes to pay for the dole can't afford those things.

A big chunk of people currently on the dole are recently unemployed. They would have bought their cars and houses before they became unemployed (and at a time that the prospect of becoming unemployed was remote).

I agree that the dole shouldn't (and doesn't) cover these items, but I do think there is a case for a higher rate for the recently unemployed, to help ease them into poverty or else to ease the pain a bit until they get a new job.

• Advertisement

I agree social welfare has created a situation where it is possible to live a relatively comfortable life with no incentive to go out and do something with their life, for those who choose to live this way.
    As I see it one big barrier to coming off welfare is the cost of childcare in this country and the cost of getting to and from work and the obvious fact that jobs are scarce. Even job searching costs money though, between transport costs, printing off a cv, phonecalls etc.

As have i been for the last 15/16 years.never been out of work in my life so dont take the high ground with me but it would be interesting to see if you have the same attitude if you were on it
    Stark wrote: »
    who said the car and house was bought while on the dole.he said he has been on the dole the 1st 8 months of the year.try read the posts if your going to make stupid arguements

Good lord that is the most simplistic, myopic, unsympathetic view of the dole. I didn't buy my gaff or my car when I was on the dole but just because a multinational company decides that Ireland is too expensive to operate out of anymore and I lose my job doesn't mean that the lending companies will give me a free pass. I have almost 9000 euro of credit card debt from my time on the dole and my new job involved a 50% pay cut from my previous salary but I'm not out on the streets protesting about it. In fact I'm absolutely delighted about beig able to (just about) pay my own way again. The only thing that annoys me is people like you who obviously have no idea what's it's actualy like trying to survive on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

For those unfortunate people who have lost their jobs and are looking for work are receiving the interest and have to pay the rest towards the mortgage! the grocery bill certainly unless you get the Value stuff something i have always done even when times where good the gas and electric are only recently down a few % and currently companies are competing ageist one another which is a good thing but with the carbon tax coming it's gonna be going go back up, its gonna be over 20 euros for a bag of coal, Cylinder of gas is 32 euro that has not gone down! England's cost of living is cheap compared to here same with France ! childcare keeps going up too there is not such thing as free education and as for Health your fcuked if you don't have private health insurance!

donegalfella Every person pays tax in this country regardless of what position they are in!

While I can see your point on the car repayments, you can survive without a car, either you pay your mortgage in this country or the bank will repossess your house and leave you with the burden of paying for it for as long as it takes with no possibility of ever getting a mortgage again.

As long as this situation lasts, it would be sickening that someone would lose everything just because they lost their job for a few months

EF wrote: »
    While I can see your point on the car repayments, you can survive without a car, either you pay your mortgage in this country or the bank will repossess your house and leave you with the burden of paying for it for as long as it takes with no possibility of ever getting a mortgage again.

As long as this situation lasts, it would be sickening that someone would lose everything just because they lost their job for a few months

Repossessions don't happen to any significant degree in this country. No one is going to lose their home just because they can't afford their mortgage repayments for a few months.

dvpower wrote: »
    Repossessions don't happen to any significant degree in this country. No one is going to lose their home just because they can't afford their mortgage repayments for a few months.

They are only going one way repossessions and that is up.
    http://www.courts.ie/legaldiary.nsf/ea75dd68239e4b6980256c590060ee70/863a41be7ff4e923802576890043ab8e?OpenDocument
    It is the same thing that is stifling entrepreneurship in this country, the banks will chase you for your debt for as long as it takes if you were to fail at a business venture

• Advertisement

because he is on the dole he should let his house and car get repossessed.yeah that makes sense.will you wake up and step in to the real world

Yes the dole is designed to cover food and general household expenses but that is based on the assumption that you're living in a house provided by the council. However, as this is not that case in my case I still had to pay the mortgage.
    I'm glad that you have eough savings to last you for a long time but as I ploughed all of mine into the deposit for my gaff I don't have that luxury.
    Anyway, I can't be arsed postig on this thread anymore as you'll just put me in a bad mood for the day with your Thatcherite view of the working classes.
    Have a nice day :)

To be honest i was not stupid enough to buy a house i have been saying it would all fall back in 05 but people thought it was never gonna end easily getting a mortgage and then 2 yrs later they lost their job, We have an obsession with house ownership in this country if any one watched The Savage Eye the other night might get the gist but some people paid 360,000 for houses you might not have paid 200,000 now,the government contributed towards those house prices going up and people wanted a Portfolio of houses !

whose moaning.they are finding it hard but whose moaning

• Registered Users Posts: 49 siscri

darren254 wrote: »
    because he is on the dole he should let his house and car get repossessed.yeah that makes sense.will you wake up and step in to the real world

Probably means sell or downsize...which is a good suggestion.

Hindsight is always 20/20. We are where we are now and while I agree personal responsibility should always be a big factor, I would hope we live in a more civilised society that would not force people into prolonged destitution, while others can live a life of gluttony thanks to government policy and reckless lending practices.

siscri wrote: »
    Probably means sell or downsize...which is a good suggestion.
    But if you sell to downsize you have to reapply for another mortgage which if you don't have a job you wont get !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

darren254 wrote: »
    whose moaning.they are finding it hard but whose moaning

Erm, have you looked at the papers recently? Everyones moaning.

Look the fact is that the 5% drop in COL beats all other arguments. The "fairness" argument goes out the window, as SW recipients are better off this year than last year. You cant argue against keeping SW and Public Sector pay in line with the cost of living.

The dole has appeared to have the effect of creating a system of people with no interest in looking after themselves. How many dole recipients actually had a "rainy day" scheme going like donegalfella? Very few, Id imagine. Then when times get tough they moan and blame it on everyone else but themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 siscri

gcgirl wrote: »
    But if you sell to downsize you have to reapply for another mortgage which if you don't have a job you wont get !

Sorry I meant your car. But you could sell your house and rent or move in with your folks or whoever.

Advertisement