Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welfare cuts? What cuts?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

dvpower wrote: »
    I just hope my employer doesn't apply the same logic to my pay.
    I don't know where you work but anywhere I worked my pay increases or decreases had nothing to do with the rate of inflation or the price of house or how many kids I had etc.. I got raises if I was more productive, if I excelled in my deliveries. I didn't get them if I wasn't or if the company as a whole was losing money. IMHO the way it should be.

However on the JSA there are no metrics apart from whether you can survive. That pretty much depends on the price of food, clothes and shelter (rent).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

siscri wrote: »
    Sorry I meant your car. But you could sell your house and rent or move in with your folks or whoever.
    Its alright if your single but if you have a few kids your kind of fcuked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

While I am genuinely sympathetic to the plight of the recently unemployed or those who have held gainful employment for any length of time, I find it particularly galling to observe the generations of dole scroungers who have never worked a day in their lives (and don't intend to), driving around in their 09 cars, with the best of fixtures and fittings in their gaffs, not to mention the 50in plasma in the corner.......surely these are the leeches that should be targeted, not the poor unfortunates who find themselves, through no fault of their own in the majority of cases in regard to losing employment, in their present circumstances.........

• Registered Users Posts: 59,625 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

The original poster seems to have missed the fairly obvious flaw in his assertion that social welfare hasn't been cut. The simple inarguable reality is that social welfare rates were cut in a number of areas.

To argue that because inflation in certain areas is negative for the past 12 months is to miss the point- recipients of social welfare are now relatively worse off as a consequence of the budget. In order to 'stand still', the price of goods would need to further decline in proportion to the social welfare cuts. If this doesn't happen, the social welfare reductions mean that the recipients are worse off.

• Advertisement

My rent was increased believe it or not, Clothes are the same i have always shopped in Penneys, Food the same have shopped in lidi since it came here, I'm not on JSA by the way!

Jimmyboss wrote: »
    While I am genuinely sympathetic to the plight of the recently unemployed or those who have held gainful employment for any length of time, I find it particularly galling to observe the generations of dole scroungers who have never worked a day in their lives (and don't intend to), driving around in their 09 cars, with the best of fixtures and fittings in their gaffs, not to mention the 50in plasma in the corner.......surely these are the leeches that should be targeted, not the poor unfortunates who find themselves, through no fault of their own in the majority of cases in regard to losing employment, in their present circumstances.........

Theres a certain portion of people who are going to pick up their kids from school in their 09 jeeps and have not paid a cent in tax their whole entire life need to be somehow cut from the Social there also the ones who were pjs during the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

darren254 wrote: »
    are you on social welfare

why does one have to be on the social welfare to do simple math?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

it is a case of try it then see if you like it, 99% hate it, one has to budget everything, the old saying lies damm lies and statistics, come to mind, when i was able to work i had donegals attitude, now after 12 long years of incapitation, and as i will never again work the rosey hue is gone from my glasses,
    norman tebbit is alive and well
    the quality of life is not there, no nice clothes, no nice food, no trip to the pub or club, no decorating the house, no nice furniture, everything one buys has to be either bargain basement or used
    living where i am and many more in areas like me, no public transport, no street lighting, no public water or sanitation any thing you need you have to supply it your self,
    depression envy and anger are daily occurences,
    no grant aid of any discription you are told it is there until you apply, then you are told the money is not advailable
    if you require work done for sanitation tough titty
    work to a bathroom so as one can wash and shower tough titty
    i know as i require assistance in the shower, i cannot afford to change things, i cannot get any aid towards it either,
    as a matter of fact i am waiting over six months to have my telephone allowance transfered
    the thread starter was able to get educated in an ivy league collage in the u.s. fair play to him, a great advantage over the vast majority on welfare, plus an assurance that he never will be on welfare,
    then again there is an old saying how the might are humbled, i do not wish this on him or any other poster, but please realise there are two sides to every story

gcgirl wrote: »
    My rent was increased believe it or not, Clothes are the same i have always shopped in Penneys, Food the same have shopped in lidi since it came here, I'm not on JSA by the way!

I'd have packed my bags before the landlord finished the word incre...

Where I generally buy clothes the prices have came down min 25% and up to about 50% in some places.

I have reduced my food bill by about 40% i mostly shop in lidl/aldi too but will shop in different places for different items

My overall outgoings have come down on avg 35-40%

if people aren't seen reductions, thery're doing something wrong

• Advertisement

waraf wrote: »
    Good lord that is the most simplistic, myopic, unsympathetic view of the dole. I didn't buy my gaff or my car when I was on the dole but just because a multinational company decides that Ireland is too expensive to operate out of anymore and I lose my job doesn't mean that the lending companies will give me a free pass. I have almost 9000 euro of credit card debt from my time on the dole and my new job involved a 50% pay cut from my previous salary but I'm not out on the streets protesting about it. In fact I'm absolutely delighted about beig able to (just about) pay my own way again. The only thing that annoys me is people like you who obviously have no idea what's it's actualy like trying to survive on the dole.

why were you using your credit card to the tune of 9k when you knew you didn't have the income to finance it?

But if you sell to downsize you have to reapply for another mortgage which if you don't have a job you wont get !

then you rent till you can afford it.

ntlbell wrote: »
    I'd have packed my bags before the landlord finished the word incre...

Where I generally buy clothes the prices have came down min 25% and up to about 50% in some places.

I have reduced my food bill by about 40% i mostly shop in lidl/aldi too but will shop in different places for different items

My overall outgoings have come down on avg 35-40%

if people aren't seen reductions, thery're doing something wrong

I'm actually local authority housing completely depends where you shop but most of the time bargain rail in Penneys for me kids deals are great no Next kids for me please , if you shop at Dunnes/Tesco/supervalu when you shop at aldi/lidi you notice the difference straight away and there is nothing wrong with the quality of stuff there,gas & esb are only down since may did not kick in till bill 2 months after that then the deals between switching suppliers, solid fuel keeps going up lucky me though has gas, my gran does not she pays out a hell of a lot between gas cylinders and coal and the rest which has only seen increases !

ntlbell wrote: »
    then you rent till you can afford it.
    Had to laugh there i may have made some mistakes in life but buying a house was not one of them!!:D

Had to laugh there i may have made some mistakes in life but buying a house was not one of them!!:D

Sorry, I didn't mean you personally, just in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Exon

Considering rent is 150 a week and you're going on about 'what cuts'!?

Rich boy noob tube!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

I went on the dole during the summer after the company I worked for went bust. To be honest I do not think I am ever going to bother working again. My standard of living has increased mainly due to my transport bill being shot.

I am only joking, I am looking for another job, but to be honest the dole is pretty good. These professional dolies who whine about how horrible their lives are as bad as the Civil Servants.

Exon wrote: »
    Considering rent is 150 a week and you're going on about 'what cuts'!?

Rich boy noob tube!

huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

EF wrote: »
    It is the same thing that is stifling entrepreneurship in this country, the banks will chase you for your debt for as long as it takes if you were to fail at a business venture

no they wont

i know someone who pissed away 3million AIB loan

declared bankruptcy, and is now running a company (directorship is in his wifes name) and is recently became a director again (breaking the law, but seems no one checks)

the said company recently duped Enterprise Ireland out of 300K in exchange for 49% share of the "enterprise", doesnt pay its suppliers and inflates the number of employees in order to milk other grants, they milk revenue by claiming tax relief due to "research", havent filed account in 2 years (illegal)

i taught this company would go out of "business" by now, but no these cowboys are still around, and Enterprise Ireland keeps giving them money since if the media found out it would make them appear to be on same shelf as FAS

:(

Theres a certain portion of people who are going to pick up their kids from school in their 09 jeeps and have not paid a cent in tax their whole entire life need to be somehow cut from the Social there also the ones who were pjs during the day!

HEAR HEAR!!!!!!!:mad:

• Advertisement

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    no they wont

declared bankruptcy, and is now running a company (directorship is in his wifes name) and is recently became a director again (breaking the law, but seems no one checks)

the said company recently duped Enterprise Ireland out of 300K in exchange for 49% share of the "enterprise", doesnt pay its suppliers and inflates the number of employees in order to milk other grants, they milk revenue by claiming tax relief due to "research", havent filed account in 2 years (illegal)

i taught this company would go out of "business" by now, but no these cowboys are still around, and Enterprise Ireland keeps giving them money since if the media found out it would make them appear to be on same shelf as FAS

Have you any proof of this....if so, do the right thing!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You've omitted one detail. The removal of the Xmas bonus means the rate is actually down over 5.9%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

Some people have bought a house within the last 3-5 years.
    That means there is still a lot of debt from furnishing and doing it up and also a mortgage of course.
    Servicing all that debt costs thousands a month, the dole, whilst generous, does not come anywhere near covering that, nevermind groceries. And god help you should anything go wrong, either damage to the house, car or health problems.
    Then that money is a snowball in hell.
    If you own your house with no mortgage and are a miser or are living with mammy and daddy it is very well possible to get by on the dole.
    For the rest of us in the real world it is infinitely harder. And I haven't even got kids, I can only imagine the horror.
    I DO have savings, but it isn't a nice feeling to eat into your reserves just to buy the groceries, that will only get you buy so long.
    I now have to either find a job or get out of this country and move somewhere where the economy isn't ready to be scraped up and disposed of in a bucket down the nearest drain.
    Because none of us WANT to be on the dole. We want to be given the chance of making a living and paying our own way. I was in my last job for 10 years, got a bit of money (thank god) and was told to go.
    Maybe you would have to find yourself in that situation of being unemployed and having responsibilities before tooting to the world how easy it is being unemployed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

if the dole was 1000euro a week and got cut by 10 euro everyone would be moaning and letting us know how impossible it is to live on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

lmimmfn wrote: »
    if the dole was 1000euro a week and got cut by 10 euro everyone would be moaning and letting us know how impossible it is to live on it

That's what people make in the civil service, they've been cut and now telling us the exact same thing, funny, isn't it?
    Also, in the 80's people got pulled into the civil service as a posh way of being on the dole, so you're not a million miles off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭KC JONES

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    no they wont

tell the companies offcie re director and tell media whole story

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Where have clothing prices gone down?

All the main high street prices have stayed pretty much the same, Penneys have actually increased their prices lately.

KC JONES wrote: »
    tell the companies offcie re director and tell media whole story
    Wicklow by any chance ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

phasers wrote: »
    Where have clothing prices gone down?

All the main high street prices have stayed pretty much the same, Penneys have actually increased their prices lately.

Try Dunnes, you know shop around!

Or buy online.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭KC JONES

Wicklow by any chance ?
    ?? is that in reply to me or are you asking where the business is?

Advertisement