Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutering

Options
  • 12-12-2009 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My Mum has finally gotten around to booking to have our dog neutered. When I say finally, I mean my dog is now 9 years old. She's never had puppies or anything like that; we're just getting her neutered because it's the right thing to do.

The thing is, because of her age, I am incredibly worried that something will happen to Honey when she is getting the procedure. I was in tears last night thinking about it.

Is it a good or bad idea to get her neutered at this age? She's a small dog with a bit of everything, literally. There's a few different kinds of terrier in there for certain. She is also full of beans and acts more like a 9 month old puppy than a 9 year old dog. She has never had any health problems either.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cianer

If your dog is in good general health then it's always a good idea to get them neutered. Neutering even at 9 years old should still go a long way towards preventing cancers that can be seen frequently in un-spayed females.
    It just gives you an extra excuse to spoil her!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

A nine year old small mixed breed is really only middle aged as opposed to a large pedigree dog which would be in its twilight years at 9 so there is no reason not to spay her, you will be adding years onto her life

Advertisement