Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handsfree Carkits Help

• 12-12-2009 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

I'm totally new to the idea of handsfree carkits and have a few questions:

Would I be able to install one myself?
    Does it matter about the make of the phone(as long a sit has bluetooth)?
    Can someone recommend a budget model for me?(doesn't need to be fancy or complicated, just reasonably cheap)

Thanks for any help

Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

nokia ck7w, cheap, simple, troublefree and will work on any phone with bluetooth, unless your handy with wiring in a car i suggest not fitting it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Hi Does this one only work with Nokias - I was also advised to get a Parrot (?)

I'm looking for a Christmas and while she now has a Nokia I guess it may change in the future..

Anyone any advise on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Bluetooth car kit doesnt tie you to the same brand phone.
    i.e Sony Ericsson Bluetooth car kit can be used with a Nokia phone.
    I use a parrot MK6100 but the new Mki9200 is a very nice bit of kit, tie in a iphone/ipod/usb device and aux all into the car kit.

Would I be able to install one myself?
    Depends on the car i.e. how easy it is to take out the car radio.
    and also if the radio has ISO blocks, so it will make the car kit installation plug and play with no need to buy wiring adapters.

Does it matter about the make of the phone(as long a sit has bluetooth)?
    Depends if you want to listen to streaming music from your phone, if you get the nokia CK that will only allow you to use the phone as basic car kit.

Can someone recommend a budget model for me?(doesn't need to be fancy or complicated, just reasonably cheap)
    Try an Parrot MK6100 they should be cheaper now.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭futurec

MK6100 discontinued go for either the ck3100 or the bells and whistles MKi9200

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

billbond4 wrote: »
    new Mki9200 is a very nice bit of kit, tie in a iphone/ipod/usb device and aux all into the car kit.

How would I be able to play my ipod nano with this kit? Do they install extra wires or something. What I'm wondering is will I have unsightly wires permanently sticking out of my dash or something!

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭futurec

There is extra wiring but it can be hidden in the glovebox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

The MKi9200 is a great kit.

You get connectors that can be put in glovebox for iPod, aux-in and a USB stick, plus an sd card slot on the back of the screen. The menu is almost identical to the iPods on the screen once it's connected:cool:

EPM wrote: »
    The MKi9200 is a great kit.

You get connectors that can be put in glovebox for iPod, aux-in and a USB stick, plus an sd card slot on the back of the screen. The menu is almost identical to the iPods on the screen once it's connected:cool:

That sounds perfect! Is i the same story with the MKi9100? May have to go with the slightly cheaper option!

Just googled it there. Looks similar but screen on the MKi 9200 is worth the extra imo. You can pick them up on ebay cheap enough if you're patient

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭bullpost

I picked up a budget parrot kit in O2 store at Christmas. Works with any bluetooth phone. Clips on to the sun visor and so is an easy install.
    Can be programmed to be voice-activated and also syncs with your phone book. Had no problems so far and for the money its pretty good value. Charger for the car and usb comes with it also. Cost about 60 euros iirc.

• Advertisement

Just googled it there. Looks similar but screen on the MKi 9200 is worth the extra imo. You can pick them up on ebay cheap enough if you're patient

Yeah it does look much better alright, I'll just have to stretch to it! It does seem much cheaper to buy them online but I wouldn't have a clue how to install it and don't know what kind of warranty I'd get with a seperate company installing it rather than the one who supplied it.

Are Halfords any good at installing these things?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

joey54 wrote: »
    Yeah it does look much better alright, I'll just have to stretch to it! It does seem much cheaper to buy them online but I wouldn't have a clue how to install it and don't know what kind of warranty I'd get with a seperate company installing it rather than the one who supplied it.

Are Halfords any good at installing these things?

If you are anywhere near Fermanagh or passing through my best mate installs kits for a living and could meet you somewhere. PM me if you want his mobile number

irishejit wrote: »
    If you are anywhere near Fermanagh or passing through my best mate installs kits for a living and could meet you somewhere. PM me if you want his mobile number

I'm in Dublin, won't be heading up that way for a bit. Will keep it in mind though, thanks anyway.

Halfords would be handy to go to but I don't think they have the best reputation going. Sometimes I've felt their staff don't know their stuff!

joey54 wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin, won't be heading up that way for a bit. Will keep it in mind though, thanks anyway.

Halfords would be handy to go to but I don't think they have the best reputation going. Sometimes I've felt their staff don't know their stuff!

Chr1st stay away from them!

Before I got mine installed I went in there to have a look at it. They offered to fit it in a half hour and I stupidly went with it.

After 20 mins he couldn't get the radio out. He told me to bring it to the dealer:rolleyes:

He scratched my gearlever to the point where it was sharp edges on it. He then broke my air vents. The wiring was visible on the outside of the dash.

Then when 5pm came (2 hours after starting) he said "I'm going home" with my radio still in the passenger footwell and wires eveywhere. The radio in my car takes up most of the dash so it was a big hole. He actually left his tool box and got into his car and drove off.

Then another monkey came out to try finish it. He couldn't get it to work so I demanded that they put everything back the way it was and took a refund. They had to cover repairs to the trim too. Idiots.

//rant over

Chr1st stay away from them!

Thanks, you've just eased my mind! Won't be going with them, always had a little niggle in my mind about it!

Can anyone recommend somewhere to supply and install the MKi9200 that doesn't break the bank?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Have you tried carkits>?
    http://www.carkits.ie/

Davy wrote: »
    Have you tried carkits>?
    http://www.carkits.ie/

Got a quote from them for €349, too expensive considering I could buy the kit itself online for around €180. Maybe I'm not being realistic and €349 is a good price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If you supplied it, would they fit it?

Davy wrote: »
    If you supplied it, would they fit it?

Hmm.. I never asked that! My only worry about not getting it supplied by the fitter would be with the warrenty. I.e if I had a problem that they'd just come back and say the problem was with the kit and therfore not their problem! Trying to make it easier for myself in case any problems do arise with it!

Advertisement