Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Basketball scholarships

Options
  • 12-12-2009 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what happens with Irish scholarships. Im in 6th year now and have been told im good enough to get a scholarship but play on a bad team. We're already out of competition. Just wondering how are they picked and how can I apply

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Xrox

You asking about scholarships to irish colleges or abroad. For most irish colleges you have to get accepted to the college first and then apply for the scholarship (which is more like a grant usually about 2000) whilst a student of the college. Most colleges have there own proceedure for this and you wont get a penny till about christmas. Also you would have to reapply every year.
    Most basketball scholarships are given to players involved in the national league or irish set up. But that does not mean you will have to be on a team right now but it is best to try and get on a national league squad once you have joined the college.

hope this helps, if any more questions just ask also if you know what college your interested in i might be able to steer you in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

what he said,

u gotta be involved with a superleague team next year to better your chances of being on a scholarship. u shud of being playing club bball as well as school to give u an idea of where to go.

playing just college bball wont be enough, some colleges want u playing both college and superleague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 FunBall

Be careful as playing in the Superleague can make you ineligible for a US College Scholarship as it is viewed as a professional league. It might be worth checking out the UK as Reading and Worcester have good basketball scholarship programs linked to the local BBL teams (Reading Rockets & Worcester Wolves). Other colleges will have scholarship programs also.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Pat the Patriot

I'm involved in coaching schools basketball and I've been told of basketball scholarships at DIT and I.T. Tallaght as well as in the bigger colleges linked to superleague teams (UCC, UCD, UUJ, UL, DCU and so on). I'd contact the colleges directly and ask if they offer sports scholarships. They may look for involvement with representative teams (Inter-provinicial or national teams)...they may have various scholarships for between 250 - 500 EUR or bigger ones for 1000 EUR plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

Usually colleges have a sports scholarship form you fill out. But you really have to have played on regional a regional team, high level of club basketball - being in contention to play superleague in the near future or are on the superleague panel, and then international experience in the past or that you would be capable of making an international team. They colleges will go on your history of achievements and credible sources. There is no trial process its really about the level you play at and inter-county/regional and international experience. Thats what I know of the scholarship process as I know people who have gone through it. G'luck anyhow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

FunBall wrote: »
    Be careful as playing in the Superleague can make you ineligible for a US College Scholarship as it is viewed as a professional league. It might be worth checking out the UK as Reading and Worcester have good basketball scholarship programs linked to the local BBL teams (Reading Rockets & Worcester Wolves). Other colleges will have scholarship programs also.

Unless you're getting paid to play in SuperLeague, you're still an amateur. Many people have played in the SL before going to High/Prep school or college in the USA.

Advertisement