Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oddities of Irish Infrastructure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The opening of this slip road is a matter for Laois County Council as
    the road authority for the area. I have, however, made enquiries into
    the matter and I understand that following the opening of the N7
    Portlaoise Bypass, Laois County Council failed to reach an acceptable
    agreement with the adjacent landowner and the slip road has not been
    opened as it impacts on the access to the landowners property.

THis is what I was told.
    There;s a gateway that could only be entered by crossing the slip on the N8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

And the gateway wasn't noticed before / couldn't be moved?

How long has that slip been built and lain unused?

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,795 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Since the motorway - 13 years this year I think.

Why does Phoenix Park, situated north of the Liffey, have an even-numbered Dublin area - Dublin 8?

All other even numbers are south of the river, and odd numbers are north of it.

How can parts of Dublin 8 be southside and parts be northside?

A.

Official reason - its served by a southside sorting office
    The rumour - so the president can have a southside postcode ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

alinton wrote: »
    Why does Phoenix Park, situated north of the Liffey, have an even-numbered Dublin area - Dublin 8?

A.

Parts of D20 are also north of the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

alinton wrote: »

A.

Chapelizod and Mount Sackville school are also D20 post coded...

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭unit 1

unit 1 wrote: »

..and the effective cart-track that leads up to it from one side, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lifelike

MYOB wrote: »
    Since the motorway - 13 years this year I think.

But I remember being on it a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

unit 1 wrote: »

Where did the funding from this bridge come from? Could have spent 20 million more wisely but I could say that about a dozen things FF have done during the noughties.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lifelike

tech2 wrote: »
    Where did the funding from this bridge come from? Could have spent 20 million more wisely but I could say that about a dozen things FF have done during the noughties.

Don't forget the state-of-the-art electronic voting machines :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Dublin bus numbers follow the system used in the days of the horse-drawn tram, which ran from the city centre outwards in a clockwise direction from south to north.

Mountjoy Square is the only real square in Dublin, measuring 600 feet in length and width

Dublin's oldest traffic lights are situated beside the Renault garage in Clontarf. The lights, which are still in full working order, were installed in 1893 outside the home of Fergus Mitchell, who was the owner of the first car in Ireland.

Henry Moore, Earl of Drogheda lived in Dublin in the eighteenth century. His job was naming streets. He called several after himself - Henry Street, Moore Street, Earl Street and Drogheda Street, which later became Sackville Street and is now O'Connell Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

tech2 wrote: »

...not to mention that this bridge @ 340m in length was not exactly highlighted in media or government circles!!!

Wonder why? :rolleyes:

Must say it's a nice bridge though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

m8 northbound at junction 13 signs for tipperary and limerick 51km thats correct for limerick but not tipp its 31km. old n8 r636 at new cork mart cork 38km wrong.. m8 junction 10 southbound 88km to cork wrong again.. too many chefs as they say:p

Waterford: The newly-reopened road between New Rath (the old and for the moment still the Dublin Road) to Grannagh.

...passes under the new N25 with a headroom of only 2.8 metres!

Yikes!

At the moment they've got a very functional arrangement consisting of a couple of oil drums, two lengths of red conduit and some string and bits of red tape before it to indicate to taller vehicles of the impending doom, but this obviously (I hope) isn't permanent.

So what measures, I wonder, will preclude the (surely) inevitable collisions, and the hilarity that will result?

Andy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Colmgogan

Here's one!

Spending 2-5 (Nobody really knows) Billion euro on a tunnel to join
    Connolly and Heuston station when there is already a perfectly good existing tunnel doing exactly the same thing for free!!! Then IE's blatant avoiding of the question....
    Mind Boggling...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Colmgogan wrote: »
    Here's one!

Spending 2-5 (Nobody really knows) Billion euro on a tunnel to join
    Connolly and Heuston station
    when there is already a perfectly good existing tunnel doing exactly the same thing for free!!! Then IE's blatant avoiding of the question....
    Mind Boggling...
    The purpose of the Interconnector is not "to join Connolly and Heuston Stations" though. In fact, it doesn't do that as the portals to the tunnel are some distance from both stations. HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Please please please can a Mod stop the above arguement before it gets out of hand?? God knows how many times it's been covered on other threads!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Newport Co. Tipperary is nowhere near a navigable waterway never mind its lack of a port.

Part of its East-West running mainstreet is called "Cork Road" even though you have to travel on a number of other roads before you get to a straightforward link to Cork.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Newport+Tipperary,+Ireland&sll=52.474876,-8.157204&sspn=0.026192,0.077162&gl=ca&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Newport,+County+North+Tipperary,+Ireland&z=14

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Tara St stn is not on Tara St.

Phoenix Park stn is not in (or near with the intention of serving) the Phoenix Park.

And my favourite. Grand Canal Dock stn which is close to Lansdown Road stadium has to close on matchdays. What a joke. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Newport Co. Tipperary is nowhere near a navigable waterway never mind its lack of a port.

Part of its East-West running mainstreet is called "Cork Road" even though you have to travel on a number of other roads before you get to a straightforward link to Cork.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Newport+Tipperary,+Ireland&sll=52.474876,-8.157204&sspn=0.026192,0.077162&gl=ca&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Newport,+County+North+Tipperary,+Ireland&z=14

Newport is An Port Nua. Port can also mean embankment, e.g. Port Laoise

http://www.englishirishdictionary.com/dictionary

"Tara Street" was "Tara Street and Georges Quay", but thats rather long and contains the name of an English king.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Victor wrote: »
    Newport is An Port Nua. Port can also mean embankment, e.g. Port Laoise

The port nua thing came after Newport as far as I know. The town name was Tulach Sheasta fado fado.

Didn't know that about the embankment thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

The N13 in Donegal...its the only National Primary route that has to stop/give way to a Regional road.

salonfire wrote: »
    The N13 in Donegal...its the only National Primary route that has to stop/give way to a Regional road.

The N17 still gives way to the former N5 which is now a regional in Charlestown main street, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

MYOB wrote: »
    The N17 still gives way to the former N5 which is now a regional in Charlestown main street, doesn't it?
    Does the N11 still give way to that R road in Ferns on the bad bend heading out of the town southbound, or was that replaced with a mini roundabout? I highly doubt only one N road gives way to an R road tbh.

murphaph wrote: »
    Does the N11 still give way to that R road in Ferns on the bad bend heading out of the town southbound, or was that replaced with a mini roundabout? I highly doubt only one N road gives way to an R road tbh.

Biggest roundabout they could squash in there; not quite a mini but it ain't full size either.

Loads of N-secondaries give way to R roads.

The N5 yields to Ballaghdeereen main street, come to think of it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Fintan Lawlor Avenue in Portlaoise meant to be an inner bypass in the 80s. What a mess of planning that was. The N7, had to turn right, then left and then swing around back onto the Dublin road with such messy junctions.

Actually despite a proper decent bypass of the town, this inner relief road still causes most of the traffic problems in the town today. And those f****ing ramps. It's actually insane the amount of ramps on it"

Now retail developments sprang up either side. Makes Portlaois look like a mini LA style town. Horrible planning.:(

The oddest part of all this they slapped up a pedestrian crossing beside the walk over bridge...

Advertisement