Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oddities of Irish Infrastructure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭bucks777

stop sign on the mallow roundabout in cork.....!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

bucks777 wrote: »
    stop sign on the mallow roundabout in cork.....!!

whats odd about that? its no different to traffic lights on a roundabout.
    What IS odd with that roundabout is having all southbound traffic for Cork and Kerry use the same lane and all northbound traffic for Limerick and Kerry ditto. The other lanes in either direction are bery lightly used as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

...because its not a proper roundabout if its not yields...

MYOB wrote: »
    ...because its not a proper roundabout if its not yields...

right back at you with the traffic lights answer....

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

Just noticed driving the M3 at the weekend that all the SOS Pillars are exactly 1 mile apart - just thought it was strange because I thought we lived in a metric world now!!

Dont know if its the same on other motorways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Radiotower wrote: »
    Just noticed driving the M3 at the weekend that all the SOS Pillars are exactly 1 mile apart - just thought it was strange because I thought we lived in a metric world now!!

Dont know if its the same on other motorways

Maybe the specifications for motorways haven't been updated? So a motorway for now "has" to have the phones 1 mile apart?

However, I couldn't find reference to this in legislation, although an interesting discovery was that MSAs were legislated for in 1993... we're still waiting for the first operational motorway service area!

corktina wrote: »
    right back at you with the traffic lights answer....

They're signal controlled roundabouts, not normal roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

The M50 uses No U-Turn signs instead of No Left Turn on the mainline at merging slip roads.

A no U-Turn is to go back to way you came, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Anyone notice how the advance direction sign for the Ballymun exit of the M50 is 1.6km from the exit. Designed by an English consultant who hadn't paid a visit to our fair shores I wonder. I've spotted a few "Give Way" signs in Drogheda, as well as British standard pedestrian crossings.

Then again I know of one scheme in Liverpool where the site design drawings specified the installation of "Yield" signs, and it wasn't until the contractor queried them the the error was noticed.

If the sign was the traditional (I nearly said 'regulated' then remembered we haven't had a TSM update since they started doing them!) 2km from the junction, it'd be in the middle of the previous junction.

The same thing is repeated elsewhere on the motorway network where there's tiny spacing, I THINK the one for Ballymount southbound says 800M.

Give Way signs surface in private developments far more often than should be accepted.

• Advertisement

They're signal controlled roundabouts, not normal roundabouts.

they should be totally unecessaary if Irish drivers could drive properley (or most of them)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

corktina wrote: »
    they should be totally unecessaary if Irish drivers could drive properley (or most of them)
    Traffic light controlled roundabouts aren't unique to Ireland though.

Alun wrote: »

Or indeed Ireland and Britain as I've seen people assume here

Alun wrote: »

yes but usually if you come across one in the UK its there because the volume of traffic in rush hour means its essential to stop tail backs on to motorways etc. They are computer controlled with all the lights in the area properley linked and set up,They arent just thrown in in an uncoordinated way because half the drivers dont know how to use a roundabout and would sit there for hours waiting for a gap.... usually they would be part-time lights too which arent in use off peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dubluc

salonfire wrote: »
    The N13 in Donegal...its the only National Primary route that has to stop/give way to a Regional road.

Sadly you are wrong the N62 in Templemore Co. Tipperary stops at the junction of Thurles Road (N62) to allow traffic going towards Borrisoleigh going from N62 to the R501 continue straight.

Basically if you come through Templemore from Roscrea and miss the sign at the end of Richmond at what is known locally as the Canon's Corner (the parish priest's residence used to be the big house at the corner) you will continue blissfully toward Borrisoleigh on the R501. Traffic coming from Thurles (N62) gives priority to Borrisoleigh traffic at a stop sign.

I'm sure there are many more examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭sean_84

Dubluc wrote: »
    Sadly you are wrong the N62 in Templemore Co. Tipperary stops at the junction of Thurles Road (N62) to allow traffic going towards Borrisoleigh going from N62 to the R501 continue straight.

The N62 is a national secondary road.

sean_84 wrote: »
    The N62 is a national secondary road.

It's a National Route though and should you'd imagine have priority over a Regional route.

I'd be interested as I said in hearing other examples.

It's a National Route though and should you'd imagine have priority over a Regional route.

I'd be interested as I said in hearing other examples.

The post you quoted specifically said National Primary route.

There are tens of examples of secondary routes further back in the thread, as we covered this before. The N52 even loses priority to an L road at one stage as far as I remember...

No need to bite my head off!

Sorry if I didn't read all 12 pages of posts. (I did read 3 or 4).

I thought all N roads were Primary routes forgive me I made a mistake!

I stand corrected. Sorry!

Again Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

No need to bite my head off!

Sorry if I didn't read all 12 pages of posts. (I did read 3 or 4).

I thought all N roads were Primary routes forgive me I made a mistake!

I stand corrected. Sorry!

Again Sorry

N1-N50 National Primary route. N13 is National Primary.

> N51 National Secondary. N62 is National Secondary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

N5 at Ballaghadreen eastbound has a stop eastbound that gives way to the local traffic

N5 at Ballaghadreen eastbound has a stop eastbound that gives way to the local traffic

Is this when one is driving through Market Street and one meets Main Street in Ballaghadreen?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=longford&daddr=53.800651,-9.518623&hl=en&geocode=%3BFcvuNAMd4cFu_w&mra=ls&sll=53.834296,-9.189377&sspn=0.110621,0.340919&ie=UTF8&ll=53.83949,-8.658605&spn=1.134447,2.334595&z=8&output=embed

The post you quoted specifically said National Primary route.

There are tens of examples of secondary routes further back in the thread, as we covered this before. The N52 even loses priority to an L road at one stage as far as I remember...

To save you ladies and gentlemen driving along the N52 or searching "the boards"

According to an article about the N52 secondary route in Wikipedia
    At Dalystown in County Westmeath the N52 has a STOP sign at a junction with a local road which takes precedence over this National route.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N52_road_(Ireland)

Searching for "Dalystown, Westmeath, Ireland " did not show this.
    With viamichelin.com there was a result showing Gainestown.

Anyhow some of you have read this post for the N52 previously.

Addendum 01:57 Uhr MESZ / CEST German time
    In OSM: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.5&lon=-8&zoom=7&layers=B000FTFT
    Typing in Dalystown and zooming shows the N52 meeting the L1122

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

In Carrick-On-Suir the N24 from Clonmel to Waterford enters the town, turns left to go up a street call O'Mahony Avenue and at the top of this street turns right to continue through the rest of the town. At either end of this street there are mini-roundabouts.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.34836&lon=-7.41566&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF

The upshot of this is that N24 inbound traffic from Clonmel must give way to local traffic at the southern end of the street and N24 inbound traffic from Waterford must give way to local traffic at the northern end of the street.

This is actually a reversal of the situation before the mini-roundabouts were put in place. At that time inbound traffic had right of way and outbound traffic at either end of the street had to give way to local traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

When you reach Junction 3 of the M50 (the M1 interchange) the exit sign is facing the wrong way.

The right most 2 lanes are for the N32, the middle 2 lanes are for the M50 > Port Tunnel and the left lane is for the M1N. However the exit sign where the N32 and M50 lanes split points towards the M50 lanes as the exit when technically they should point the other way towards the M32. And there isn't any exit sign between the M50 lanes and the M1N lanes.

I often wonder if this is part of the reason that you still see M50 > Port Tunnel traffic end up at the N32 roundabout despite the overhead signage.

Incidentally is this junction unique in the Irish motorway system as being the only junction with a right side exit-lane?

This is slightly unrelated but since it concerns the junction I decided to mention it here. I noticed that in OpenStreetMap the old roundabout is now classed as non-motorway and part of the N32 and the section between the two roundabouts is also classed as the N32 and non-motorway, yet the NRA junction maps for the M1 and the M50 still show this section as motorway (the M32 motorway?). One would imagine the NRA versions are correct given that they have been created since the new layout of the road was created.
    OpenStreetMap Link / NRA Link - M1 / NRA Link - M50

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its complicated and a new designation order needs to be done to clear up all the ad-hoc changes that have happened as the motorway network has opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

On the old N3, travelling north leaving Navan, the roadsigns forecast a distance of 15km to Kells. A few hundred metres out the road (after the level crossing) Kells has mysteriously distanced itself from Navan, now registering at a distance of 16km.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

John C wrote: »
    To save you ladies and gentlemen driving along the N52 or searching "the boards"

According to an article about the N52 secondary route in Wikipedia
    At Dalystown in County Westmeath the N52 has a STOP sign at a junction with a local road which takes precedence over this National route.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N52_road_(Ireland)

Searching for "Dalystown, Westmeath, Ireland " did not show this.
    With viamichelin.com there was a result showing Gainestown.

Anyhow some of you have read this post for the N52 previously.

Addendum 01:57 Uhr MESZ / CEST German time
    In OSM: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.5&lon=-8&zoom=7&layers=B000FTFT
    Typing in Dalystown and zooming shows the N52 meeting the L1122

The upshot of all this is that if going to Mullingar from Tyrrelspass then you do indeed have to stop and yield to a minor road as you come up the stem of a T and turn right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The glorious spectacle bridge outside Lisdoonvarna in Clare deserves a mention. Surely it's an oddity of some sort of other? Haven't noticed too many bridges like it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markwaters/22110342/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

upmeath wrote: »
    On the old N3, travelling north leaving Navan, the roadsigns forecast a distance of 15km to Kells. A few hundred metres out the road (after the level crossing) Kells has mysteriously distanced itself from Navan, now registering at a distance of 16km.

Is there a massive change in the distance to Ballyshannon leaving Navan on the old N3. Not sure of the signs are still there, but I believe on the 3 distance signs going out of Navan, Ballyshannon was indicated to be, 1st 80, then 160, then 120.

My numbers might not be correct but it was something like that.

Advertisement