Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ardgillan Castle

Options
  • 12-12-2009 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Anyone seen this website? www.ardgillanskerries.com

Ridiculous, since when is Ardgillan in Skerries??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

JohnW2008 wrote: »

Where would you say it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 JohnW2008

Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Buck_Naked wrote: »
    Where would you say it is?

One of my colleagues on the council always says, rather aggressively that its in Balbriggan but the OSI maps suggest otherwise.

That website is unusual as Fingal manage Ardgillian and there is no reference to the council on it plus the owner of the website has hidden their ownership details on a .com whois search.

Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Its def Balbriggan, and having met the manager of Ardgillan, I doubt this address was proposed by him.
    Seems strange - the website I mean, with no reference to the manager, or the fact that they do weddings????

I also wonder who is behind the site???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

One of my colleagues on the council always says, rather aggressively that its in Balbriggan but the OSI maps suggest otherwise.
    It's irrelevant as to what the OSI map suggests Alan, Ardgillan is in the Balbriggan area, despite the misinformed intentions of others to change it's address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭philtaylor

OSI and telephone number suggests its in Skerries ie. 849 is Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 28 JohnW2008

It is in Balbriggan. Pathetic one upmanship on behalf of Skerries.

What next? Bremore Castle, Skerries too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Let's steal their windmills

philtaylor wrote: »
    Anyone or anything can suggest what they like to be honest, ignorance is bliss, and there has been ignorant people stating Ardgillan is in Skerries for many a year - it still doesn't change the fact that it's in Balbriggan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

:rolleyes: I am aware of at least 12 residences in NORTH Balbriggan who may be surprised to learn that 849 is a Skerries phone number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

What next? Bremore Castle, Skerries too?

Well if it's the Bremore Castle houses well then Skerries can have it without a fight.:P

I am starting the 'Ardgillan Castle is in Balrothery' campaign here.
    Afaik Balrothery was a bigger and more important then either Balbriggan or Skerries when Ardgillan was built*. Any claims of ownership by either Skerries or Balbriggan is shameless oneupman's ship similar to what I am doing here

I know a good few people who live in the direct vicinity of the castle and will pick their brains on the matter.

* may not be factually correct.

bcmf wrote: »
    I am starting the 'Ardgillan Castle is in Balrothery' campaign here.
    Of course your 100% right, when originally built it was Argillan in the parish of Balrothery, and the electoral division of Balbriggan. Balrothery being the important center of the time, long since superseded in importance by Balbriggan.

The parish now of course is referred to as one - The Parish of Balbriggan, Balrothery and Balscadden. The parish of Balrothery no longer exists on its own.

Therefore its correct to say Ardgillan is in either Balrothery or Balbriggan based on when it was currently built or it's current status. By no stretch of the imagination is it or has it ever been in Skerries, except in the minds of the deranged.

Ok so OSI and now Fingal county council say its in Skerries.

* The Castle is managed jointly with the Skerries Development and Community Association Limited and Fingal County Council.

Source: http://www.fingalcoco.ie/CommunityRecreationandAmenitiesDepartment/Parks/ParksHeritageProperties/ArdgillanCastle/

Ok so OSI and now Fingal county council say its in Skerries.

* The Castle is managed jointly with the Skerries Development and Community Association Limited and Fingal County Council.
    This does not change it's Balbriggan location, it can be managed in conjunction with any body.

I can pull as many links from FCC with the address as Balbriggan, mainly due to the fact that it is in Balbriggan.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/CommunityRecreationandAmenitiesDepartment/Parks/Playgrounds/

Attempts to try and prove it is in Skerries are childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Bluetonic wrote: »
    It's irrelevant as to what the OSI map suggests Alan, Ardgillan is in the Balbriggan area, despite the misinformed intentions of others to change it's address.

Ok, don't shoot the messenger.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    This does not change it's Balbriggan location, it can be managed in conjunction with any body.

I can pull as many links from FCC with the address as Balbriggan, mainly due to the fact that it is in Balbriggan.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/CommunityRecreationandAmenitiesDepartment/Parks/Playgrounds/

Attempts to try and prove it is in Skerries are childish.

Yeah this is getting pretty heated, put does it really matter. Seems strange as to why would take pick a Skerries Management body rather than Balbriggan. Is it childish now if both the latest publications from the Council, Failte Ireland and the Government refer to it as in Skerries.
    http://www.gov.ie/en/photos/18/

Doesn't really bother me either way.

I think it does matter to be honest. You can't just claim rights over something which is clearly located elsewhere. It's just silly really.

If it was something negative you'd be sure it would be clearly defined that it's in Balbriggan, but because it's a wonderful resource and spectacular parkland a certain element in Skerries wish to have it's address changed. Not surprising really, it's been going on for years, still doesn't stop it being quite silly and childish.

Seems strange as to why would take pick a Skerries Management body rather than Balbriggan..
    There is none in Balbriggan.

My neighbour has a lovely garden with a really nice lawn, no daisies or brown patches... much nicer than my own lawn, in fact sometimes I mow it for him as they travel a lot and I hate to see it becoming overgrown but i have the good sense not to go claiming it as my own.... apparently the tenth commandment never got as far as Skerries :)

• Advertisement

Addresses and boundaries change. I think people forget Ardgillan was orginally in Balscadden, then Balrothery, then Balbriggan and now its in Skerries. In fairness all 4 hold true.

Addresses and boundaries change. I think people forget Ardgillan was orginally in Balscadden, then Balrothery, then Balbriggan and now its in Skerries. In fairness all 4 hold true.
    Your wrong. Ardgillan was NEVER in Balscadden, is NOT now in Skerries and is STILL geograhically in Balrothery and Balbriggan.

Whats with the caps? There too many B names in that area between Barneargerra etc... I meant Baltrasna not Balscaden.

Whats with the caps? There too many B names in that area between Barneargerra etc... I meant Baltrasna not Balscaden.
    Used for emphasis ;)

Baltrasna is further south though, Kilmainham would be between that and Ardgillan.

In fairness I think most people understand that those claiming it to be in Skerries have down so for their own personal agendas. The rest know the truth and thats all that matters.

This nearly reminds me of the 'Welcome To Skerries' sign at Barneargerra. Talk about notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

Are we not missing the point here?
    It is Ardgillan Castle claiming to be in Skerries, not the people of Skerries laying some claim to Ardgillan. Now why would they do that?

midonogh wrote: »
    Are we not missing the point here?
    It is Ardgillan Castle claiming to be in Skerries, not the people of Skerries laying some claim to Ardgillan. Now why would they do that?
    No it's you that's missing the point.

The website is not official, merely some third party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Its a wonderfull resource which any town would be proud to have it, the whole Ardgillan is in skerries has been going on for many years but as was pointed out by most of the posters on this thread it is in Balbriggan and will stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Geez and there's me thinking it was part of Greater Malahide.

4184406127_a4de4b469d_o.jpg

• Advertisement

Yeah this is getting pretty heated, put does it really matter. Seems strange as to why would take pick a Skerries Management body rather than Balbriggan. Is it childish now if both the latest publications from the Council, Failte Ireland and the Government refer to it as in Skerries.
    http://www.gov.ie/en/photos/18/

Doesn't really bother me either way.

I don't see how that link supports the view that Ardgillan is in Skerries... :pac:

Advertisement