Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have a speech disorder?

Options
  • 12-12-2009 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all

I have been noticing lately that I may be developing some sort of speech disorder.

I met with some potential new clients on Thursday morning and whilst chatting to them / giving them a presentation I found at random times that although I knew what I wanted to say the word would not physically come out of my mouth to the point it felt like I had to force my muscles to say the word. Almost as if I was paralysed for a couple of seconds.. and whilst this is going on I forget what I was actually saying

It was a very bizarre feeling as at the same time it almost felt like I was going to black out. The only other way I can describe it was there was also times where I had a chain of thought of what my next sentance would be but I would almost go blank and then have to try and recover leading to saying the same thing again.

I was then at a client do that evening and it was happening all night, mainly the losing chain of thought and end up talking jibberish trying to keep the conversation going.

I discussed it with someone who said it was probably nerves but I am not a nervous person but quite confident and deal with clients new and old daily.

This bizarre scenario has happened to me once before a couple of years ago when i was giving a talk and where I could not get the words out I literally choked in front of my colleagues, much to my embaressment.

Wierdly, this has not yet happened when around friends and family.

If anyone has any ideas I would welcome them!

Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭cheekay

Hi Paul,
    What you're describing are word finding difficulties. These occur as a result of a breeakdown in the speech and language systems of the brain. Its a very common problem. There are different techniques and strategies that you can learn to help these difficulties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rousey24

Hi Cheekay

Thanks for your reply.

Is that right even when I know in my mind the word I want to say? It is literally like I have to force my mouth muscles to say the word at the same time feeling like I could potentially blackout.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rousey24

...plus I cannot work out why it only happens when we are with / entertaining clients as it it is not a nervousness issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Hi,

It sounds to me as if it may be stress related. I note you say it doesn't occur under the obviously more comfortable surroundings of family and friends. My first port of call would be a GP, quite a few of them are tuned up on stress. Going this route doesn't imply there is anything wrong with you, just a sensible point to kick off from.

I wouldn't worry about it as presentations could be regarded as stressful by the majority of people. I have personally suffered from stress, and the symptoms would have included, mental blanks, speech hesitation, uncomfortable subjective sensations, albeit temporary.

Hope this may be of help !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

My 2c - I think you should talk to your GP about this, just in case it could be a medical issue.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement