Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs. Arsenal 13/12/09 (MOD NOTE: #119 and OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Unearthly wrote: »
    Arsenal should hammer Liverpool, but Liverpool game raise for these games so I'm gonna go for a Liverpool win.

Such a strange comment. Arsenal should hammer Liverpool but youre going for a Liverpool win ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I never said that. And i don't believe he's a mediocre defender either. If you'll go back 2 or 3 years in my post history you'll see posts about me talking about how underrated Johnson is when he was stuck on the bench at Chelsea and most pool fans wouldn't want to know him.

i know you didn't say it, but it is a prevailing opinion.

he is liable to naturally get dragged out position due to his attacking nature, absolutely. and that's something we'll have to be wary of on the counter attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Tusky wrote: »
    Such a strange comment. Arsenal should hammer Liverpool but youre going for a Liverpool win ?

That's what I've been arguing too. :D

Arsenal are a better all round team on paper. They have width and creativity in abundance, two things Liverpool really lack. And while without RVP they don't have the same goal threat as pool, they have a better defence (albiet somewhat marginal) and an ability to dominate possession which could cause Gerrard in particular to struggle to impose himself.

But their heads aren't right, they bottle it when the pressure is on them, make loads of individual mistakes, and that is why they will probably lose again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Quandary

Id expect Liverpool to raise their game for this one & grind out a win by the odd goal with a bit of luck - like Utd did against Arsenal at OT this year. No Van P is a big plus for Liverpool.

Pool to win 2-1. Kuyt goal and Gerrard peno with possibly a Fabregas free kick! im off to Paddy Power to put the savings on it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Quandary wrote: »
    Id expect Liverpool to raise their game for this one & grind out a win by the odd goal with a bit of luck - like Utd did against Arsenal at OT this year. No Van P is a big plus for Liverpool.

Pool to win 2-1. Kuyt goal and Gerrard peno with possibly a Fabregas free kick! im off to Paddy Power to put the savings on it :p
    Rafa will be busy scribbling on his clip board as usual, Wenger will be sent off with five mins to go and Aquilani and Rafa will exhange awkward glances before Rafa brings him on with a minute to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Arsenal fan here, bets on:

€5 Fabregas first goal
    €5 Vermaelen first goal
    €5 Arshavin first goal
    €5 Arsenal to win from behind

Providing Arsenal don't bottle this it's ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Arsenal fan here, bets on:

€5 Fabregas first goal
    €5 Vermaelen first goal
    €5 Arshavin first goal
    €5 Arsenal to win from behind

Providing Arsenal don't bottle this
    it's ours.

LOL rather big "if" there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I'm gonna say 2 - 1 to Liverpool.

Aquilani, Torres and Gallas to score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Liverpool always raise it against the bigger teams, dont see why that should change today.

3-2, Torres with a couple.

• Advertisement

a bit disrespectful no?

i love this endless condition that for liverpool to win any of these big games, it has to mean the other team 'bottling' it or not showing up.

we might just play better than you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I've put twenty euro on Torres to score the first goal at 4/1 and another twenty euro on Torres to score the first goal and Liverpool to win 2-1 at 30/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

monkey9 wrote: »
    I've put twenty euro on Torres to score the first goal at 4/1 and another twenty euro on Torres to score the first goal and Liverpool to win 2-1 at 30/1
    why dont you just throw caution to wind and put £40 on either bet. I think he will score during the game so would lay heavily on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

SlickRic wrote: »
    a bit disrespectful no?

i love this endless condition that for liverpool to win any of these big games, it has to mean the other team 'bottling' it or not showing up.

Ah, bit of banter before the match ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

a bit disrespectful no?

The fickle and reactionary nature of football fans means the only image they have of Liverpool is the Liverpool of this season and that is not a very good image. Win 2 or 3 games playing well, and everything will change.

a bit disrespectful no?

You have a bit of a habit of reading every post here as anti-Pool regardless of context to be fair.

I'm an Arsenal fan. We bottled it against City. We bottled it against United. We bottled it against Chelsea. Against City and United the game was ours to lose, we outplayed them in almost all areas. Even the Chelsea match we were in total control for much of the game, but everytime we got near their goal the pass was wayward. Going back a bit, the league 07-08 was ours to win we had such a lead. But we bottled it. This current generation of Arsenal have bottled almost every opportunity they've been given.

So when someone calls Arsenal bottlers I can guarantee you it has absolutely nothing to do with their opinion of Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Arsenal tend to "bottle it" playing the other top 3 teams alright.
    Arsenal will not win today though, might snatch a sneaky point....

cson wrote: »
    Ah, bit of banter before the match ;)

oh i know.

sure i might just switch it round then.

sure providing Liverpool don't bottle it, they should win, as usual. wenger's record at Anfield is poor, and it will take us on a bad day for them to win.

;)

Unearthly wrote: »
    Arsenal should hammer Liverpool, but Liverpool game raise for these games so I'm gonna go for a Liverpool win.

WTF?

p173426-Hokkaido-Old_Beer_Bottles.jpg

All this talk of bottles is making me thirsty.

A draw again.

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    p173426-Hokkaido-Old_Beer_Bottles.jpg

All this talk of bottles is making me thirsty.

hmmmm... i really really would like a bottle of Asahi right now :(

You have a bit of a habit of reading every post here as anti-Pool regardless of context to be fair.

it was in the context of a 'Liverpool v Arsenal' thread.

of course that's how i'll take it.

and his line was 'if we don't bottle it, it's ours'. hence arsenal win this game if they play well. liverpool are automatically encompassed in that comment.

i think i'm probably one of the least sensitive on these boards, and my deduction was perfectly fair in this instance.

CHD wrote: »
    0-0

Hmmm, 4-4 all last season not tempt you to predict a goalfest?

3-1

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Arsenal to win 3-1...Gallas,Fabregas And Eduardo!Heard it here first;)

hmmmm... i really really would like a bottle of Asahi right now :(

boards.ie Soccer Forum........driving people to drink.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I'm an Arsenal fan. We bottled it against City. We bottled it against United. We bottled it against Chelsea. Against City and United the game was ours to lose, we outplayed them in almost all areas. Even the Chelsea match we were in total control for much of the game, but everytime we got near their goal the pass was wayward. Going back a bit, the league 07-08 was ours to win we had such a lead. But we bottled it. This current generation of Arsenal have bottled almost every opportunity they've been given.

So when someone calls Arsenal bottlers I can guarantee you it has absolutely nothing to do with their opinion of Liverpool.

Sounds like Arsenal could do with the services of this man!

url-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Arsenal to win 3-1...Gallas,Fabregas And Eduardo!Heard it here first;)

Eduardo is out AFAIK.

From Arsenal.com:
    Eduardo (thigh) had not quite recovered from his injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭hudsonriver

3 - 2 Arsenal, pool taking the lead twice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

For everyone predicting an Eduardo goal he's injured...

flahavaj wrote: »
    boards.ie Soccer Forum........driving people to drink.:pac:

driving many over the edge! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I'm hoping for

Reina
    Johnson
    Carragher
    Agger
    Insua
    Kuyt
    Masch
    Lucas
    Aurelio
    Gerrard
    Torres

and his line was 'if we don't bottle it, it's ours'. hence arsenal win this game if they play well. liverpool are automatically encompassed in that comment.

That's the point though. As an Arsenal fan, watching them week in week out we should be top of the league but for a couple of individual errors and a few wayward passes.

People watch the highlights reel, see Drogba puttin it past Almunia and then Arshavin passing to nobody and think Arsenal are sh*t. What you don't see are the other 20 odd matches in the season where Arshavin creates a goal from the same situation. Or they'll watch Cesc/Nasri being easily beaten off the ball and not see him being in the same situation the week previously where he turned the man, cut inside and left him for dead.

I know fans of other teams think this is an incredibly elitist attitude, but it's the damn truth. Arsenal are technically superior to every other team in the Premership. Cesc can pass better than Lampard/Gerrard, RVP can score with the frequency of Torres (when fit of course), Arshavin can win as many matches single-handedly as Drogba does for Chelsea. Vermaelen can go in as hard as Vidic/Terry. Gallas can tackle like Carvalho. But seeing as you guys are used to only watching Arsenal bottle it you don't see the winning side to their game as much.

People often point to the weakness of set pieces, or the slight stature of the midfield but it's all a bit moot tbh as 99% of the time they compensate brilliantly for it. Arsenal's problems are all in their heads. They are such a different team when the pressure is on them it's startling. Even say in an unimportant game, 1-0 up and 10 mins to go. The creativity goes from them, the drive to win is absent, they become afraid to pass for fear of giving away possession, they just don't seem to communicate and they look like a group of individuals who just don't want to be there. The scale and swiftness of the change is startling, depressing and completely baffling.

Might as well set themselves up as a drinks company :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

That's the point though. As an Arsenal fan, watching them week in week out we should be top of the league but for a couple of individual errors and a few wayward passes.

Reminds me of the phrase "If only my aunty had bollocks she'd be my uncle."

a bit disrespectful no?

Not really, I view Arsenal when they play to their full potential capable of trashing anyone in the Premier League. Unfortunately, they very seldom do this, especially when it's come to the big games this season.

I'm confident today if we play well today and Liverpool replicate their under achieving performance as of this season then Arsenal are going to destroy you. :pac:

You could do the same to us, but I'm an optimist and I'd like the football spirit for my team to stay with me. Big games are exciting and I'm 100% behind my team for this one, just like any other match. Yes I'm completely biased, but I'm not saying Liverpool is **** and incapable of claiming a win or even taking the piss out of us today, but **** c'mon Arsenal.

EDIT: 777th post. Lucky 7's. Goodbye, Liverpool.

Arsenal are an excellent team with excellent players and an excellent manager. They play great football.

However they dont grind out as much results as they should. They dont know how to win ugly.

Thats why Arsenal aren't top of the league.
    A prime example of this is when they played ManU.
    Played them off the park, couldn't grind out the result.

I'm confident today if we play well today and Liverpool replicate their under achieving performance as of this season then Arsenal are going to destroy you. :pac:
    "If only my aunty had bollocks she'd be my uncle."

:pac:
    Exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Liverpool will score at least 3 today, Torres will cause the Arsenel defence lots of problems, however Liverpool need to keep Arsenal from scoring in order to win. It won't be a low scoring game.

The scale and swiftness of the change is startling, depressing and completely baffling.

Poet?

Arsenal as i said are a very good team and i believed had a great chance to win the league, but since VP is out and you lack an out and out goalscorer i think Arsenal will struggle to keep pace with chelsea.

Imagine the damage Torres would do playing in an Arsenal side, for example.

Still think Arsenal will do very well this season.

Well lads, first stop paddypower, second stop the pub.

Good luck to us Arsenal and Liverpool fans alike. This will be a great game, I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Well do you really think Torres will slot straight back into the team and win matches after struggling so long with injuries? Gerrard hasn't been his usual self either recently, whereas Song in particular has arguably been Arsenal's only source of consistency all season. So i don't think it's too remote a possibility.

But if you read the rest of my post, you'd realise I said Liverpool were gonna win...

that's not exactly a difficult achievement this season :)

and Arshavin has been inconsistent, but he's still been a big source of goals and assists. He can play utterly sh*te all match then make the pass that wins the game... bit like Gerrard in that respect.

well isnt that exactly what torres has been doing all season? slotting straight back in a being the difference in most games..so yeah i do think torres will slot straight back in...it is stevie's form i more worry about..

Liverpool: Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Aurelio, Mascherano, Lucas, Kuyt, Gerrard, Benayoun, Torres.

Subs: Cavalieri, Aquilani, Insua, Ngog, Degen, Skrtel, Dossena.

Finally a full strength team. No excuses today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

1512: TEAMS Liverpool v Arsenal
    Liverpool: Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Aurelio, Mascherano, Lucas, Kuyt, Gerrard, Benayoun, Torres.

Arsenal: Almunia, Sagna, Gallas, Vermaelen, Traore, Fabregas, Song Billong, Denilson, Walcott, Arshavin, Nasri.

Subs: Fabianski, Diaby, Eduardo, Vela, Ramsey, Silvestre, Wilshere.

Referee: Howard Webb (S Yorkshire)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

4 defenders on our bench super

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

poolarse.jpg

Pretty much as expected from both sides. Hopefully Walcott can sort his touch out from the other day, strong enough bench for Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

rarnes1 wrote: »

Pretty much the expected first team, with Fabio in for Insua to negate the threat of Walcott if he is on the Arsenal right. That is a bench lacking in invention though bar Aquilani.

After seeing the team I shall be sticking with my 3-1 to Liverpool prediction.

I'm glad Insua has been given a rest, he's overdue one.

I'd be suprised if we lost today with that team tbh.

mayordenis wrote: »
    4 defenders on our bench super

I count 3. I don't class Dossena as a defender, and if he does come on I bet it's left midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Can't believe Walcott is starting, he was very poor the other night and this is hardly the game to throw him back into...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

hopefully 1-1 with fabregas not to score...

• Advertisement
Advertisement