Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs. Arsenal 13/12/09 (MOD NOTE: #119 and OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

gerrards a disgrace to football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Nemanja91 wrote: »

why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

How that's not a penalty is beyond me. If Gerrard hadn't gone down like he'd been shot it would've been given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If you're only here on a wind up then don't post in the thread again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If Vermaelen runs up and tries to play centre forward again Wenger should take him off and have him shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I condemned him against Blackburn,

But i'd have that as a peno, Gerrard hit it a bit too far ahead, but Gallas was nowhere near the ball and obviously caught Gerrard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

he was clearly taken down there in fairness, problem was he pushed the ball so far ahead of himself he wouldnt have been able to get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Gerrard never would have caught it though so imo shouldn't have been a peno.

However referee's always give them so I'm very suprised it wasn't given. Very clumsy from Gallas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

If that wasnt a penalty gerrard should have been booked imo if refs are gona be consistent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

amacachi wrote: »
    How that's not a penalty is beyond me. If Gerrard hadn't gone down like he'd been shot it would've been given.

It's not a penalty because the ball was nearly out of play by the time of the foul. Therefore Gallas wasn't denying a goalscoring opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Frisbee wrote: »

However referee's always give them so I'm very suprised it wasn't given. Very clumsy from Gallas

You actually can't foul people off the ball. It was a penalty definately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

paul150 wrote: »
    If that wasnt a penalty gerrard should have been booked imo if refs are gona be consistent
    It wasnt a dive either.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Was a pen for me.

stupid post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Def why I think it wasn't given. No control over ball, doubtful he would've scored from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Should have been a pen for Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Stonewall pen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Also, Gallas should be sent off as well as Liverpool having the pen. He probably score from a corner or something :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Irrelevant where the ball is though, clear penalty.

it wasnt really a lunge by gallas it looked more like a tackle that he pulled out of which made it look a bit like a stumble, smart play

howard would also have been aware of gerrard trying to milk every situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Deffo pen but will gladly take that bit of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

monkey9 wrote: »
    Also, Gallas should be sent off as well as Liverpool having the pen. He probably score from a corner or something :rolleyes:
    Gallas being sent off would be harsh.

mayordenis wrote: »
    You actually can't foul people off the ball. It was a penalty definately.

I'm amazed it wasn't given, they get given week in, week out.

However any penalty that is given like that where the player isn't going to catch the ball shouldn't be given imo.

We're being forced to go down our right constantly, Nasri is drifting inside far too much, giving us no option down than side.

It's not a penalty because the ball was nearly out of play by the time of the foul. Therefore Gallas wasn't denying a goalscoring opportunity.

In my opinion though denying Gerrard the chance of getting to the ball is denying a goalscoring opportunity. Gallas was nowhere near the ball and got a big lump of Gerrard.

Such is the way it is though, would be interesting to see why Webb didnt give it, considering he had a great view. No consistency again.

it wasnt really a lunge by gallas it looked more like a tackle that he pulled out of which made it look a bit like a stumble, smart play

howard would also have been aware of gerrard trying to milk every situation

cop on

The linesman looks like he doesn't know how he got here...

I'm amazed it wasn't given, they get given week in, week out.

However any penalty that is given like that where the player isn't going to catch the ball shouldn't be given imo.

We're being forced to go down our right constantly, Nasri is drifting inside far too much, giving us no option down than side.

can you foul players off the ball?

The Muppet wrote: »
    That would be harsh.

Well , i don't agree with the rule cos i think a peno is enough. But if the peno had been given, the ref would have no choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,589 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Stonewall pen but as Ronaldo found out sometimes if you are a bit too clever it comes back to haunt you in the following weeks.

Fancy liverpool strongly after good opening to the game

• Advertisement

Goalscoring opportunity is completely irrelevant.

In my opinion though denying Gerrard the chance of getting to the ball is denying a goalscoring opportunity. Gallas was nowhere near the ball and got a big lump of Gerrard.

Would you not agree that the 'opportunity' is gone the second Gerrard hits the ball so far ahead of him?

Well , i don't agree with the rule cos i think a peno is enough. But if the peno had been given, the ref would have no choice!

Well it's a foul because he tackled the player and not the ball, so it should be a pen, however he probably wasn't stoping a clear goal scoring opportunity so no red imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Oh my god... so many chances.... ugh!!!!!!!!1

Would you not agree that the 'opportunity' is gone the second Gerrard hits the ball so far ahead of him?

So kneeing someone in the face when the ball is out of play because you're not denying a goalscoring opportunity?

lol, why are you all arguing about this? If the ball was at the halfway line it'd still be a pen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Mushy wrote: »
    Def why I think it wasn't given. No control over ball, doubtful he would've scored from it.

I'll quote the Football rules for your benefit then.
    A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
    of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be
    careless, reckless or using excessive force:
    • kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
    • trips or attempts to trip an opponent
    • jumps at an opponent
    • charges an opponent
    • strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
    • pushes an opponent
    • tackles an opponent

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
    of the following three offences:
    • holds an opponent
    • spits at an opponent
    • handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own
    penalty area)
    A direct free kick is taken from the place where the offence occurred
    (see Law 13 – Position of Free Kick).

A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed by
    a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of the ball,provided it is in play.

Webb has ****ed up yet again.

Well it's a foul because he tackled the player and not the ball, so it should be a pen, however he probably wasn't stoping a clear goal scoring opportunity so no red imo.

It's a pain in the balls that it wasnt given, but probably karma for Ngog's dive against Birmingham

So kneeing someone in the face when the ball is out of play because you're not denying a goalscoring opportunity?

Violent conduct. Completely different

It's had to say if he would have got to it or not, but if he hit it so far ahead of him what was Gallas doing jumping in like that? i think that's the important bit, he clearly fouled Gerrard, possession of the ball can still be 2nd to that i think.

edit - considering if it happened outside the box, or on the wings, it is a free everytime.

Whats the question? Are ya asking is it ok? I don't think it should've been given, as the opportunity had clearly gone. If ya did knee someone in the face, off he goes....dunno would a free follow though.

• Advertisement

can you foul players off the ball?

Of course not. But penalise Gallas and you have to give the penalty.

If the ref wanted to be consistent it should have been given, absolutely.

But imo I just don't think if the player won't get the ball it shouldn't be a penalty.

mascherano down. s*it. he's been immense today.

It's a pain in the balls that it wasnt given, but probably karma for Ngog's dive against Birmingham

Yea I'll accept that. However I still argue Carsley sliding in front of N'gog impeded his way and as such was still a pen :pac:

It's had to say if he would have got to it or not, but if he hit it so far ahead of him what was Gallas doing jumping in like that? i think that's the important bit, he clearly fouled Gerrard, possession of the ball can still be 2nd to that i think.

edit - considering if it happened outside the box, or on the wings, it is a free everytime.

From what I saw Gallas went to make the challenge before Gerard made the last touch that took it away from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Oh ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Spot on Sometimes you get decisions you shouldn't get, sometimes you don't get decisions you should get

This is fantastic stuff from 'Pool.Can''t remember the last time we looked so dangerous,and played with such a high tempo.

Yea I'll accept that. However I still argue Carsley sliding in front of N'gog impeded his way and as such was still a pen :pac:

and he couldnt just jump over the tackle

Mushy wrote: »
    Whats the question? Are ya asking is it ok? I don't think it should've been given, as the opportunity had clearly gone. If ya did knee someone in the face, off he goes....dunno would a free follow though.

I'm saying whether or not there's a goalscoring opportunity is completely irrelevant, he was tripped in the penalty area, it should be a penalty. The position of the ball doesn't matter in the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

This is fantastic stuff from 'Pool.Can''t remember the last time we looked so dangerous,and played with such a high tempo.

I'd hazard a guess and say the last time we looked like this was the last time Torres was fully fit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement