Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Realistic rent in North Dublin?

Options
  • 12-12-2009 3:28pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to start renting early next year with my girlfriend so am starting to look around at what's on offer in North Dublin (ideally somewhere around Finglas or Santry but anywhere with the "city limits" would suit really).

We'd be looking for a 1 bed apt and going by listings on Daft etc. rents are advertised somewhere between €600 and €850 or so, though it's hard to know for certain what you're getting as there are so many house shares and studio apts thrown in there even when you try to exclude them.

I would have thought around the €600-700 mark would be fair enough (assuming the place is decent of course) but should I be expecting to pay less again?

I'd imagine there's a good chance of getting a few quid knocked off the list price anywhere but obviously want to go in with a reasonable offer that might get accepted!

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Well I can tell you Im paying 650pm for a 2 bed in Charlestown, Finglas right beside the new Shopping Centre. I think Im paying slightly below the market rate coz my landlady emigrated to Canada and just wanted a no-fuss tenant who would do any DIY that needed doing themselves.

But its not inconcievable that you can get a one bed for 550-650 in Finglas. Remember its a renters market and asking prices are just that.
    View a number of places and show interest in the place but not the price is my advice.

edit, also dont forget to factor in ESB, TV & Broadband bills when coming up with your overall budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

flogen wrote: »
    I'm looking to start renting early next year with my girlfriend so am starting to look around at what's on offer in North Dublin (ideally somewhere around Finglas or Santry but anywhere with the "city limits" would suit really).

We'd be looking for a 1 bed apt and going by listings on Daft etc. rents are advertised somewhere between €600 and €850 or so, though it's hard to know for certain what you're getting as there are so many house shares and studio apts thrown in there even when you try to exclude them.

I would have thought around the €600-700 mark would be fair enough (assuming the place is decent of course) but should I be expecting to pay less again?

I'd imagine there's a good chance of getting a few quid knocked off the list price anywhere but obviously want to go in with a reasonable offer that might get accepted!

Thanks.

Are you guys going to have to travel into the city centre on a daily basis? Because there are 1 bed room apartments for €500-550 advertised on daft.ie in Dublin 3.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

SLUSK wrote: »
    Are you guys going to have to travel into the city centre on a daily basis? Because there are 1 bed room apartments for €500-550 advertised on daft.ie in Dublin 3.

No, I work from home and my partner works in a school in Cabra.
    Well I can tell you Im paying 650pm for a 2 bed in Charlestown, Finglas right beside the new Shopping Centre. I think Im paying slightly below the market rate coz my landlady emigrated to Canada and just wanted a no-fuss tenant who would do any DIY that needed doing themselves.

But its not inconcievable that you can get a one bed for 550-650 in Finglas. Remember its a renters market and asking prices are just that.
    View a number of places and show interest in the place but not the price is my advice.

edit, also dont forget to factor in ESB, TV & Broadband bills when coming up with your overall budget.

Yeah - have seen a good few properties for €750 (not all in Finglas but in the general area) and under so I reckon it could be talked down from there.

Bills are something I'm a bit iffy about - not sure what a reasonable amount to put aside would be. Again, there's no hard and fast rule on that but I'm imagining ESB will be the hardest to quantify as you can predict/manage the rest reasonably well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I'm paying 600e a month in drumcondra, which is just down the road from where youre looking.. it for a one bed flat with own door entrance. Only moved in in november so i'd say that was a good reflection of the current market rent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

3 bed gaffs going for a grand a month in Dublin 11, and there are no shortage of them

Can't see that implying a rent of 700+ a month for a 1 bed apartment

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

3 bed gaffs going for a grand a month in Dublin 11, and there are no shortage of them

Can't see that implying a rent of 700+ a month for a 1 bed apartment

Thanks for that, hadn't spotted that.

In that context €700 is far too much for a 1 bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Might be an idea to look for a more out of the way 2 bed since you'll be working there, wouldn't want to be in a place that's too small.

I had a quick look on daft and found this 2 bed for 720 www.daft.ie/2822663 (there's a cheaper one for 680 www.daft.ie/2800243 but it's fairly hideous looking)

You might be able to knock a bit off that asking price.

Not bad value if that's anyway close to your missus' school and you get the extra room for an office.

Advertisement