Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greencastle 5 mile 26th December (Co Tyrone)

• 12-12-2009 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.greencastle5.com/
    Any other boardsies out there doing this?
    I will be up home for christmas so will probably doing this with a few friends. Not taking it too seriously like give the day and the fact there's a 6% hill for a mile near then end. Are there any other nordy Boradies??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

menoscemo wrote: »
    http://www.greencastle5.com/
    Any other boardsies out there doing this?
    I will be up home for christmas so will probably doing this with a few friends. Not taking it too seriously like give the day and the fact there's a 6% hill for a mile near then end. Are there any other nordy Boradies??

Done it too years ago and was a great day out and I didn't do running at the time. Down south this year so won't make it. But just to let you know there will be a 5mile race on New Years day in Loughmacrory(not too far from Greencastle if I'am correct) hope to do that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭kelzer

Will be home in Tyrone over Christmas so will probably do both. A pity these runs don't get advertised more.

The Loughmacrory run is on 31st December -> www.lough5.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

Tempted myself. Choice of Navan or this. Map telling me it's 1hr30 from Castleblayney though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I might sign up for this myself, it says an hour and 19 mins from clones on googlemaps.

Should I just head towards omagh and look for signs to greencastle from there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

cloneslad wrote: »
    I might sign up for this myself, it says an hour and 19 mins from clones on googlemaps.

Should I just head towards omagh and look for signs to greencastle from there?

It's about 11 miles from Omagh on the Omagh-Cookstown Rd, It's a tiny village so it may not be signposted from Omagh.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    It's about 11 miles from Omagh on the Omagh-Cookstown Rd, It's a tiny village so it may not be signposted from Omagh.

I checked it on googlemaps, but it's not the most descriptive of tools to use for getting from a2b, think a satnav will be purchased before too long!!

I will be coming from the emyvale/ aughnacloy /ballygawley side to get to it. So I wouldn't have to go to omagh...it seems to be pretty straight from the turn off after ballygawley.

Went out for a five mile run today in the snow so I might do this for a bit of fun and preperation for tough guy

kelzer wrote: »
    Will be home in Tyrone over Christmas so will probably do both. A pity these runs don't get advertised more.

The Loughmacrory run is on 31st December -> www.lough5.com

Think everyone knows about Greencastle, particularly when Nadene Coyle turned up at the prize giving cermony 4 year ago;)

As for Loughmacrory, it was bit of a last minute thing-route is quite flat until you reach "Joes Hill" then things start getting tough, but no where near as tough as Green castle.

Excellent facilities in the GAA clubhouse and all in all looking forward to it as will be my first offical road race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just back from this, toughest race I ever Ran!! The start was really narrow and full of slush and ice, took about a mile and a half to be able to get through the crowds and then had to face some of the steepest hills I ever faced :eek: My mile splits varied from 6:50 to 9:43 (on the humongous hill on mile 4), finished in 40 minutes overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Karoldoherty

We travelled from Inishowen to race in the 24th Greencastle 5mile today. Condictions were cold but not a bad as the Christmas day chairty run yesterday from Bridgend to Buncrana where the temp was minus 7 degrees. Today however my father win the over 65 event and I took 1st place in the wheelchair in a time of 27min. The hill at the 4 mile mark sorted the men from the boys on this course :D

size5 wrote: »
    Think everyone knows about Greencastle, particularly when Nadene Coyle turned up at the prize giving cermony 4 year ago;)

As for Loughmacrory, it was bit of a last minute thing-route is quite flat until you reach "Joes Hill" then things start getting tough, but no where near as tough as Green castle.

Excellent facilities in the GAA clubhouse and all in all looking forward to it as will be my first offical road race.

In LOughmacrory at the moment, race looks likes its still going ahead, organising committee have been busy for the past 2 days tryint to keep the roads run worthy. But man is it bitter out there

• Advertisement

size5 wrote: »
    In LOughmacrory at the moment, race looks likes its still going ahead, organising committee have been busy for the past 2 days tryint to keep the roads run worthy. But man is it bitter out there

I might head up to it tomorrow, providing the roads are safe to drive on. I didn't risk the boxing day race as conditions down here were brutal, but I did get a 5 mile run in on my own on christmas day, got some wierd looks around town.

Can you send me a pm, or post here if the race def gets the go ahead?

Thanks

cloneslad wrote: »
    I might head up to it tomorrow, providing the roads are safe to drive on. I didn't risk the boxing day race as conditions down here were brutal, but I did get a 5 mile run in on my own on christmas day, got some wierd looks around town.

Can you send me a pm, or post here if the race def gets the go ahead?

Thanks
    Sorry Cloneslad only getting message now-race went ahead and finished it in 36:20. From 5 am this morning there was tractors and grit going on the road right up to before the race started-complete community affair to get the road race worthy and this is from a Dub looking in;)

Sandwiches and showers afterwards and great scenery, so for my first road race it was excellent

Advertisement