Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG Viewty Lite worth cheap price?

• 12-12-2009 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm going to England soon and have considered picking up a LG Viewty Lite over there since the flash on my SE K800 stopped working.

The phone is only £100(not much more than €100 atm) on vodafone over there so I can put my current sim in. It seems like quite a bargain for a 5mp phone. I've been advised that as a phone it's a frustrating phone but the camera is very highly regarded.

I understand that the Lits lacks the pc cable and headphones in the packaging but what concerns me most it that the snazzy lens that was on the original viewty no longer features.

The reason I'd buy the phone is because I'd like a good camera and the 5mp one on the viewty lite should suffice but my concerns are that I'd be better off looking around and paying a few extra bob for the original.

Does anyone have any knowledge on the subject or know of any phones in the price range that would be a better choice? Any reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If the original Viewty is anything to go by, then I'd avoid. Very buggy firmware, and no way of updating the firmware yourself if a new version is released - needs to be sent back and flashed. Touchscreen tends to be extremely laggy and completely unresponsive at times. The 5MP camera on the original viewty was also very poor, blurred and full of compression artifacting. No way you could have taken photo album worthy photos with this. The Lite may have improved upon this though.

IMO, you'd be better off shelling out a bit more for a decent quality camera phone. The Sony Ericsson C905 had a pretty damn sweet camera, but is expensive and it's hardware reliability really lets it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Don't know anything about the phone but just a heads up the phone will most likely have a Vodafone UK SIM lock on it so won't be able to be used with your Irish SIM card until you get it unlocked.

Is this the phone you're looking at? Is only €119 if porting. Might be better to just get it here save the hassle.
    Last time I saw it was 150 with Vodafone and I wasn't aware of having to unlock it here. Thanks a lot Captain Morgan!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Kensington wrote: »
    If the original Viewty is anything to go by, then I'd avoid. Very buggy firmware, and no way of updating the firmware yourself if a new version is released - needs to be sent back and flashed. Touchscreen tends to be extremely laggy and completely unresponsive at times. The 5MP camera on the original viewty was also very poor, blurred and full of compression artifacting. No way you could have taken photo album worthy photos with this. The Lite may have improved upon this though.

IMO, you'd be better off shelling out a bit more for a decent quality camera phone. The Sony Ericsson C905 had a pretty damn sweet camera, but is expensive and it's hardware reliability really lets it down.
    Thanks for the advice. I as unaware of the problems with the firmware problems and as far as I know the Lite is more of a downgrade. I was under the impression that the camera was good so thanks a lot for shining some light on the subject. Your reply was very helpful. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

I had one and thought it was a very good phone and was planning on getting the new viewty smart but it wasn't available in Ireland so bought the htc hero, my gf has my viewty and anytime I use it now it seems very outdated compared to the hero, its probably a three year old phone at this stage and think you would be better getting a new phone, I couldn't go back to it now after using the hero.

• Advertisement
Advertisement