Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Buying Older Motorhome, What to look out for?

• 12-12-2009 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I’m planning to buy a 4/5 berth motorhome on a small budget (€5,000 to €10,000). For this reason, it will have to be an older used model. (See below list of available at present models that would suit). I have the advantage of access to a self thought mechanic and so opening up the vehicle regularly to sort out problems will not be a problem.

I am however concerned about the following:

1.Are new/used parts easily available for older models. (again see below list of examples)
    2.Are older models difficult to get insurance/road side assistance for?
    3.Are there any other nasties to be aware of when buying an older used motorhome?

Also, if anyone has any recommendations of older models that would minimise the above concerns, feel free to share (giving reasons why).

Any help with the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks In Advance for all responses.

List:

1987 Talbot Merlin, 6 berth with 2 rear bunks, Right hand drive, petrol 2.0L, 60K mls

1990 Citroen 250 factory motorhome

1984 Mercedes Motorhome,1.9L Diesel.

1993 Dethleffs motorhome A462 Fiat Ducato LHD 1.9D,72K mls, 4 berth, length 16 feet

1992 WEINSBERGE CAMPERVAN 4 BERTH LHD 1.9 DIESEL 88,000MILES

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

FrCrilly wrote: »
    Hi All,

I’m planning to buy a 4/5 berth motorhome on a small budget (€5,000 to €10,000). For this reason, it will have to be an older used model. (See below list of available at present models that would suit). I have the advantage of access to a self thought mechanic and so opening up the vehicle regularly to sort out problems will not be a problem.

I am however concerned about the following:

1.Are new/used parts easily available for older models. (again see below list of examples)
    2.Are older models difficult to get insurance/road side assistance for?
    3.Are there any other nasties to be aware of when buying an older used motorhome?

Also, if anyone has any recommendations of older models that would minimise the above concerns, feel free to share (giving reasons why).

Any help with the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks In Advance for all responses.

List:

1987 Talbot Merlin, 6 berth with 2 rear bunks, Right hand drive, petrol 2.0L, 60K mls

1990 Citroen 250 factory motorhome

1984 Mercedes Motorhome,1.9L Diesel.

1993 Dethleffs motorhome A462 Fiat Ducato LHD 1.9D,72K mls, 4 berth, length 16 feet

1992 WEINSBERGE CAMPERVAN 4 BERTH LHD 1.9 DIESEL 88,000MILES

Hello . Body parts are difficult to get for any of those models , especially the camper body pieces , like bumper mouldings.
    The age of any of them means parts like brake pipes , suspension bushings will be likely worn or corroded .

A 1.9 Diesel is painfully gutless , and not as reliable as the 2.5 . Even a 1.9 TurboD is still underpowered .

Fiat/Peugeot/Citroens/Talbots pre 94 suffer with synchromesh wear , s/h gearboxes are pretty thin on the ground now.. and the Fiat one doesn't interchange with the Pug/Citroen/Talbot.

Fiat Ducato/Talbot etc pre 85 weren't galvanised so the chaance of rust is even greater .
    The base of the windscreen , and the inner arcches are notorious for rot.

That Merlin , probably UK import? again rust..and an English MOT is pretty poor , easy to bodge a yoke through it. Petrol is not nice in a camper either , no torque .

Older models need an engineers report for most insurance companies .

Older models generally have fixtures that are no longer in circulation , such as window types , fridge controls , circuit boards for heaters etc . Also they are obviously more likely to have leaks!

From next year too , all motorhomes will have to pass a DOE test , just a point to remember .

Advertisement